Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 02-17-11, 04:45 PM   #41
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: More or Less Likely to Retire in Baja / Mexico Now?

The issue of Medicare South of the border has been debated for a number of years. My take on it is that given the overall lower costs, including medical care SOB, it would appear to be a match made in heaven. Not sure that the Mexican government needs to get involved, per se. It seems to me that individual providers would work with the Medicare bureaucracy directly.

I simply think that in today's polarized political climate in the US, those who seek to dismantle Medicare, and even SS for instance, are being extremely myopic about what costs savings could be accomplished if Medicare was available SOB. I see it as a win win. But, I won't hold my breath.

That said, I think that the concept of whether folks are more or less persuaded to move to Mexico for retirement is quite complex. It is going to take quite a bit of time before the border adjacent areas are going to look attractive to a large majority of Americans. They view the security issue as a deal breaker right now.

And since there are a number of factors that influence people's decisions, just seems to me that those who would opt to live in Mexico today would opt for regions away from the border.

There have been a number of reports posted about medical care and the ease of returning to the US quickly for medical care, VA stuff, or family issues. I think that when one considers BCS, they are probably not going to have any benefit over people who move to Costa Rica, Panama, or Yucatan. JMO.

I consider our host Ron, for instance. And, I make no value judgements about the quality of life stuff. But, fundamentally, if someone living in San Quintin had an emergency need to get to the states, in the absence of extraordinary measures, they would have to drive 3+ hours. The flight from SJD to LAX, for instance, takes just over two hours.
Old 02-17-11, 07:14 PM   #42
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Yikes, Howodd! I can't help wondering what you're seeing that I'm not. BTW, the "Medicare in Mexico" website (Welcome : Americans for Medicare in Mexico (AMMAC)) hasn't been updated since 2009. Not that I expected the initiative to go anywhere. Arguments in favor are weak, and I can think of a number of quite strong ones against it, starting with the fact that Medicare is terminally flawed already. Don't get me wrong, I believe it's needed, but not in its present form.

I do agree, though, that BCS (other than Los Cabos) is probably not for retirees who want to make more than occasional trips to the US, or who count on going there for medical care. It's too far to drive and too expensive to fly. People in that category who want to avoid the border area will probably look elsewhere.
Old 02-17-11, 08:27 PM   #43
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

I have read that I could still collect my SS in Mexico, or any other country as well. My concern is whether or not they'll be anything left in my account when I get to be 65+ 1 month! Watching as politicians continue to address the budget deficit and national debt as a political football rather than a critical issue that needs bipartisan action causes me to despair that SS will survive past another 5 years or so.

One reason that we're looking in Baja is that all of our family is on the West coast, and whether we drive or fly, it's a days travel to get to family. From Costa Rica, where we have a small farm, it takes us over 20 hours in planes and airports to get to Washington. Add the 3 to 4 hours of driving on either end, and that's a crazy long day!

I would rather pay cash for my medical care in Mexico than drive where my (theoretical) Medicare will work. I guess I might come to the states for a cancer or heart issue, but otherwise I'm fine using the same care that my future neighbors use in Mexico.
Old 02-18-11, 07:33 AM   #44
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

3+ hour drive to medical care???

I gave strict orders to the wife and close friends here that if our local vet (great guy by the way and he makes house calls) can't fix whatever ails me to just start the bonfire and booze me up before tossing me in...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-18-11, 08:11 AM   #45
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

If I were Cristina, first time you lift your leg to pee, I'd rev up the blender.
Old 02-18-11, 09:36 AM   #46
kate

Trying to picture BG on the floor in the corner, lapping up his Cadillac margaritas.
Old 02-18-11, 10:22 AM   #47
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Not hard for me to picture that at all!

BG =
Old 02-18-11, 10:37 AM   #48
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

BG, you have to remember that we live on an island, with a minimum 90 minute ferry ride to the mainland. We have great EMT's here, and an air ambulance, but we're used to everything being a couple of hours away, and with limited hours of access as well!

Being able to get in the truck and drive, even for several hours, when ever we want and where ever we want will be a luxury for us!

I'm with you on the vet care idea, if it's good enough for the dog, it's certainly good enough for me!!

Your end of life care plan is the ultimate in "Do Not Resuscitate"!
(and an insurance companies dream client! if more of us had your approach, perhaps Obamacare would pencil out)
Old 02-18-11, 06:21 PM   #49
Bajahowodd

As long as you are cool with having a vet treat you for appendicitis or an infarction, more power to you!!

Just was stating the obvious. It's a big array of different strokes (no pun intended).

I've always been awestruck by the number of older, infirm people that find their way down to Ol' Mexico, despite the fact that by and large, they cannot get the same level of heathcare SOB. Not to denigrate Mexican health care providers, but in the case of a number of significant and serious maladies, the care available NOB is superior. Much of it involves the infrastructure and equipment.
Old 02-18-11, 10:27 PM   #50
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
3+ hour drive to medical care???

I gave strict orders to the wife and close friends here that if our local vet (great guy by the way and he makes house calls) can't fix whatever ails me to just start the bonfire and booze me up before tossing me in...
It's close by, and I have the same standing orders... and given the results of my past three operations, "vets" might be something I will be checking into ...

oh, and we don't practice Sati

Last edited by wessongroup; 02-18-11 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 09:47 AM   #51
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

The vet I use here in Ensenada is a Orthopedic Surgeon, I have seen some of his work the guy is outstanding . He frequently Travels to the U.S. to do sugrey for his asociate's. He might just be a option. Speaking of Medical care Myself and my other half have ben traveling to San Diego frequently for dr,s appts. yestarday we went up ,1appt for me 2 for her scatterd all the way from Mirimar to Grosemont and made it back to Ensenada by 7 pm. It makes for a long day but it can be done.
Old 02-19-11, 11:10 AM   #52
BajaGringo

No doubt there is great health care NOB (if you can afford it) but thankfully I have been blessed (so far) with a constitution that makes healthy oxen look a bit sickly. I just don´t get sick, even when everybody around me is coughing, wheezing, sneezing and complaining of aches and pains my body just seems to go through it all unfazed. Cristina actually gets mad sometimes that I so rarely ever get sick. Must have been mom´s cooking and drinking a gallon of milk a day until I was 18 that did it.

And don´t ever underestimate a good vet.

Any doctor who can diagnose and cure patients who have no ability to say what is wrong with them , where it hurts or what they feel and may even kick or bite them in the process is really something special...

Old 02-19-11, 11:30 AM   #53
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

B.G. I used to think the same thing I was never sick I thought I was Bullet Proof, But at 71 years of age things are changing some of the old myth's are dissapearing for the most part I am never sick but things are wearing out.
Old 02-19-11, 12:10 PM   #54
BajaGringo

JP, that is true unfortunately. These bodies we were given come with a lifetime guarantee from the factory but some will last longer than others. I have never smoked, don´t drink too much (don´t laugh - I really don´t) and I do get a lot of exercise. I just try to do my part on what I can control. The rest I just leave up to the Lord above...

Old 02-19-11, 01:13 PM   #55
dusty

I'm sorry to here that, BG. I know of nothing that says we have to return them in good condition when we're done. Hope my last gasp[ is caused by trying to wash down a Krispy Kreme with a glass of champagne.
Old 02-19-11, 01:20 PM   #56
kate

You go, girl!! If you want company, just holler.
Umm, where do you get the Krispy Kremes?
Old 02-19-11, 01:27 PM   #57
dusty

Not here, that's for sure. Don't think I could finance a franchise by myself but if we could get a group together....There's a lot of food in Mexico I absolutely love....Donas don't make the list.
Old 02-19-11, 02:28 PM   #58
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Kind of irritating but I just had a friend/co-worker who thinks we are crazy send me some gruesome pics of drug murder mayhem and tell me I am nuts to even consider traveling in Mexico with my family. And, he sent them to everybody we know! WTF?!?!?!
I thought all these right-wing gun nuts thought biblical style justice was very cool.....they all talk about how they would treat someone who harmed their families, which I, too, would do and have no issue with.
I really have no problem with criminals killing other criminals. I do have a problem with collateral damage, though.
In that spirit I vow not to deal drugs, guns or move to Ciudad Juarez or be rich so that we are kidnapping targets.
Nor will I live in a walled off box in fear.
Did I say that pisses me off?
Old 02-19-11, 03:13 PM   #59
BajaGringo

I hear you Patch. Something tells me that much of it comes from folks who simply want to feel better about their own situation by pointing out how much worse they perceive it to be in other places. For a time I was getting similar type emails from a friend now living in Sedona, Arizona. He was emailing me photo stories of what was going on in Juarez and told me I was nuts for living down here.

A few weeks ago he invited me to come and visit but I (tongue in cheek) responded that as much as I would really like to see him, I simply did not feel safe traveling to Arizona and sent him several news references to the recent mass shooting in Tucson where 19 innocent people were shot, several fatally.

After a few days he responded back, admitting that he got the point...

Old 02-19-11, 03:33 PM   #60
Bajahowodd

Not to mention that if you went to AZ, although your appearance would exempt you from being targeted for the old "paper check", Cristina would probably be suspect.