Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 02-24-11, 11:34 PM   #81
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default I'm pretty sure it's still on topic

We're just kind of writing some interesting sidebar type chapters for it,
OK, well interesting is subjective....I'm still reading.
Old 08-31-11, 11:35 PM   #82
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: More or Less Likely to Retire in Baja / Mexico Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
I had a similar conversation (with a teacher, no less). When I explained about the Baja California peninsula being in Mexico, she said,"Well then, why do they call it California?" The mind reels ...
Wow, no wonder our kids have an uphill battle in life!

Recap for any members of the teacher's union:

Baja California was 'California' FIRST!

The body of water on the east shore is the Gulf of California.

The area that we call the state of Califonia, USA, was first known as 'Alta California'...

California and Alta California... but eventually the Spanish (and later Mexicans) seperated the two areas as Baja California and Alta California (Lower and Upper California).

When Americans took over Alta California, they dropped the 'Alta'!

Things have reversed from their original names.
Old 09-01-11, 07:05 AM   #83
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Lotta nieve in Nevada.

Pretty colors in Colorado.

Kinda dry in Arizona...

...lotta yutes in Utah >>>

My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Memorable quotes
Old 09-03-11, 04:00 PM   #84
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

"Baja California was 'California' FIRST! "

Hmm. Was it not part of New Spain, and then Mexico??
Old 09-03-11, 07:40 PM   #85
Beercan

Beercan is on a distinguished road

Lotta truth in My Cousin Vinny! As one "Southern Boy" , I've seen a lot of change.

Hijack , Hijack ???????
Old 09-03-11, 08:39 PM   #86
Beercan

Beercan is on a distinguished road

Default I retired and live there about 8 months of the year

September--the countdown is starting .

Since I retired in 2004, I have been watching the temperatures here in Yuma Arizona, for the indication that I can once again go South. Once the high temps drop below 100 in Yuma, I can generally count on temps comfortable 'nuf to sleep W/O AC in Puertecitos. Most of the years that will occur before the middle of October.

Our little Casita is located in Puertecitos. A long story about my choice of there--so won't bore you with it, but it is a good place to hang in the winter. Coldest that I have ever seen during almost 30 years of traveling and living there is about 45-- the average temp during the winter is around 70+ and perhaps 55--60 at night.

There is decent fishing (STILL) if you know what and where. Some great neighbors, although the "Old Folks" are still dying off, so now there is a new group. One good feature is : we're off the grid, yet still only one hour by air and four hours by driving to the U.S. Much of that "Old Road" is gone . With solar power, satellite TV and Satellite Internet, we can stay in touch with our family.

Life is pretty good, but with the current climate of fear and the economic situation in the world, traffic is down and some people are just not returning.
Old 09-05-11, 10:43 AM   #87
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

We have a bumper crowd of folks camping out down here in our stretch this weekend - about a 50/50 mix between gringos from NOB and locals from Mexicali...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-06-11, 02:50 AM   #88
soulpatch

It may take us a long time to retire to Mexico the way this economy is going and with my young ones I am not seeing it for quite some time.
After our big trip and the realities of life, to us, down south recently we are reevaluating.

We are actually going to look at North Carolina when we head out to SC for my daughter's graduation from the College of Charleston next May.....
I am liking the access to many important things, to us, in the Triangle area and the cost of living.

We'll see. It would certainly get me off this steepening treadmill here in SoCal and allow me access to a number of good lifestyle advantages and educational opportunities.
Old 09-06-11, 06:51 AM   #89
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
It may take us a long time to retire to Mexico the way this economy is going and with my young ones I am not seeing it for quite some time.
After our big trip and the realities of life, to us, down south recently we are reevaluating.

We are actually going to look at North Carolina when we head out to SC for my daughter's graduation from the College of Charleston next May.....
I am liking the access to many important things, to us, in the Triangle area and the cost of living.

We'll see. It would certainly get me off this steepening treadmill here in SoCal and allow me access to a number of good lifestyle advantages and educational opportunities.
Buena Suerte Soulpatch! One thing for certain, you'll get much more mileage out of your pension if you leave CA. You might even get some good surf there: http://www.surfline.com/travel/index.cfm?id=2151
Old 12-10-11, 11:52 AM   #90
soulpatch

Been dwelling on this very much.
We are flying down(had considered driving but Volaris' prices are too good out of TJ) to Puerto Vallarta this summer for a 3 week look around.
Our friends are in La Cruz for 6 months (they, too, homeschool their kids) and are loving it. They do 6 months a year somewhere in Latin America so they get a view outside of a vacation experience.
Surf is a big deal to me.... and greenery is a big deal to my wife. Bugs? They go with the scenery.....
We are going to really check out Sayulita and San Pancho....
My wife is telling me to get her out of SoCal ASAP and, hell, I feel like I should comply.
She gets the whole affordability issue NOB vs. SOB and, well, I think this SOB FINALLY has her convinced on a cellular level that mainland, where I had proposed originally, might be our best shot....
So, for what it's worth......
Old 12-10-11, 04:39 PM   #91
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
...Surf is a big deal to me...mainland...
sUrF bReAK!

Extra points for the opening soundtrack; epic Spaghetti Western!
Old 12-11-11, 04:07 PM   #92
soulpatch

Nice....
Old 12-12-11, 01:15 PM   #93
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Just for planning purposes .... for some ...

Treasurys: Yields Could Break Through 1940s Record Lows - MarketBeat - WSJ
Old 01-25-12, 10:53 PM   #94
Tay

Tay is on a distinguished road

What a nice post. Thanks for publishing it, BajaGringo (sp?).
Old 02-26-12, 10:50 AM   #95
Leslie

Leslie is on a distinguished road

Very close to purchasing our second home half way between San Felipe and Puertocitos. We have done it all - from dry camping to renting beachfront homes. We love everything about Baja and are finally able to purchase. We are in our mid 40s and plan to spend 50/50 time between "home" in Northern California and Baja.
Old 02-27-12, 11:04 AM   #96
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
I'm already here (two years now) and not moving any time soon. I retired and moved just a short time before the market crashed and ate a big hunk of my already iffy retirement savings. Maybe a year later I'd have chickened out, but the deed is done, and I'm relieved that I was spared agonizing about it. If I have to spend the rest of my life poor, I'm in good company, in a beautiful place with nice weather, and not working. I wasn't living in the US, though, so my attitude may be unusual.

KATE, That's my feeling also. If I have to live POORER I will fit in just fine here.
Old 02-27-12, 06:38 PM   #97
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Wow, I must've written that three years ago, because now I've been here almost five years!! Situation is still pretty much the same, though.
Old 03-05-12, 05:20 PM   #98
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Just starting my ninth month in Baja and love it more every day. Moved from Primo Tapia to La Mision on March 1st. so I could keep my horse right outside and because this is such a wonderful place to ride. Playa La Mision is a great beach ride and with the river valley, fiiendly local ranchers and lots of horse lovers it fills the bill. Many of the local businesses even have hitching posts for those of us that like to take the horse instead of the car. Although with the sudden raise in alfalfa prices, not sure which is cheaper.
Old 03-05-12, 06:14 PM   #99
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Hey TravelPro! Great to hear that it is all working out for you!
I like to read precautionary stories of other people's struggles with retirement living in Baja, because they show me where I need to take care.
But I really, really like to read stories like yours, where everything is going well. Stories like yours help keep my dreams alive!

Thank you!
Old 03-05-12, 07:44 PM   #100
soulpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPro787
Just starting my ninth month in Baja and love it more every day. Moved from Primo Tapia to La Mision on March 1st. so I could keep my horse right outside and because this is such a wonderful place to ride. Playa La Mision is a great beach ride and with the river valley, fiiendly local ranchers and lots of horse lovers it fills the bill. Many of the local businesses even have hitching posts for those of us that like to take the horse instead of the car. Although with the sudden raise in alfalfa prices, not sure which is cheaper.
Awesome.
This helps me keep my goal in focus.