Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 03-12-12, 07:06 AM   #101
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: More or Less Likely to Retire in Baja / Mexico Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPro787
Just starting my ninth month in Baja and love it more every day. Moved from Primo Tapia to La Mision on March 1st. so I could keep my horse right outside and because this is such a wonderful place to ride. Playa La Mision is a great beach ride and with the river valley, fiiendly local ranchers and lots of horse lovers it fills the bill. Many of the local businesses even have hitching posts for those of us that like to take the horse instead of the car. Although with the sudden raise in alfalfa prices, not sure which is cheaper.
We are definitely thinking about bringing horses out here. We have the space and easy access to feed so it is very doable. Just got to figure out where we would build the corral...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-12-12, 08:26 AM   #102
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am truly happy here and can't imagine going back to the rat race. I have met a lot of great people, locals and expats alike. Everyone from the parking lot guards at the supermarkets, to the owners of my favorite taco stands, to the great guy who works at my favorite granero. They are friendly and helpful. When I was keeping my horse on a fairly busy road here in La Mision, several locals stopped to chat about horses and some gave me their home phone humbers telling me that if I ever needed anything to please give them a call....and they weren't looking for work, just being friendly. I think the last time that happened to me in the states was around 1965.

BG, if you get serious about a horse or horses, they are plentiful and inexpensive here, sometimes even free if you know the right places. I ride with a local rancher that does rescues and there is a more formal organization nearby. You can bring them in from the states, and it is not horribly expensive, but you need a broker and tons of paperwork. Better to find them here and lots of them need homes. I would be happy to help if you like.
Old 04-15-12, 01:37 PM   #103
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Cool Re: More or Less Likely to Retire in Baja / Mexico Now?

We are heading down at the end of July to Lo de Marcos for a two week stay and to go look at a school in San Pancho.
Should be nice and humid.... ooh, my skin should get soft!
Baja isn't on the radar right now... going to be a few more degrees south and to the east.
Old 04-18-12, 05:43 AM   #104
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Enjoy Soulpatch,

This time of year with the spring winds and cold water, I wish we'd have moved a bit further south and east!

Although... if you move there, when August comes around, you might wish you were a bit further west and north
Old 04-20-12, 07:10 PM   #105
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

I have a place a bit west and north... south end of Bola!
I actually think it may be a degree or two cooler over there by San Pancho.
The coolest part? Well, that'd be me being with my family everyday!
Old 04-26-12, 01:26 PM   #106
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPro787
BG, if you get serious about a horse or horses, they are plentiful and inexpensive here, sometimes even free if you know the right places. I ride with a local rancher that does rescues and there is a more formal organization nearby. You can bring them in from the states, and it is not horribly expensive, but you need a broker and tons of paperwork. Better to find them here and lots of them need homes. I would be happy to help if you like.
Thanks for that and will definitely contact you once we get the logistics here covered to house, feed and care for them. Definitely a project I have moved up the list...

Old 06-23-12, 02:20 PM   #107
prorader

prorader is on a distinguished road

I have a different story, I did well in the Real Estate Market in 2006, retired from the US Army so we moved to Lake Chapala. I bought a $500,000.00 home on the side of a mountian. MY wife my 17 year old son andf myself. 2 bad thinks happened, a water spout came out of the lake up the mountian and destroy some of the house mine was one. Mexican home insurance then was crap. I sold the land and what was left for $100,000.00. then 2 months later my son was run over by a Chapala bus and left out in the highway to die. I had no medical insurance, the medical bills, and lawyer fees ended up costing me that above $100,000.00 plus. My wife of 23 years left to never return my son is ok and has returned 2 times. That being said I packed up and moved to a small town called San Jose de Gracia, Michoacan. A dairy town and I was the only gringo, met an married a Mexican lady and lived there for 3 years. The house we had was a 2 story 4 bdrm, 3bath interior was a lot of wood on the side of a mountian with a 50 foot ceramic tile patio over looking the mountians, the price was $1,300.00 pesos not dollars, had to move back to Lake Chapala gringoitess I guess, been here for 8 months, in a 2 bdrm, 2 bath house for $550.00 US big difference. I am hoping our last move is to Punta Banda on the beach, the price is higher but ok for an old Florida boy the beach, diving and fishing well maybe fishing. Will die here not going back to the US no matter what they do. The US is my Country but Mexico is my home. I guess I could write a book but to old and lazy, walking my dog on the beach and drinking a screwdriver sounds like a plan to me, see you next month. Tim
Old 06-23-12, 02:35 PM   #108
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Nice Beach Over there too windy for my taste. and if you are planning on doing a lot of diving bring some thermals. I will stay up on my perch and watch.
Old 06-23-12, 02:54 PM   #109
prorader

It has been 40 years since I was down. I have a bad ear thinks to Iraq but propably can't go down, so the bay is a fishing paradise. Your right it is a little windy and cold may stay a year and move further south. We will see
Old 06-23-12, 03:16 PM   #110
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

@ prorader

I have met several people living off a meager pension in and around La Paz.

I think this area is very reasonable for living comfortably.

There also seems to be a nice mix of people (American, Canadian, Mexican.....)
Old 06-23-12, 04:29 PM   #111
prorader

Thanks am reading a lot about La Paz. I am commited to stay in Punta Banda on a years lease so we will maybe the people will make the difference, my wife and I are very out going so who knows thanks for the info. Tim
Old 11-09-12, 03:27 PM   #112
BajaGringo

The relationships you forge down here will make/break your decision to stay. At least that has been my experience...

Old 01-18-13, 09:38 AM   #113
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

This poll was started two years ago. Don't know how much that impacts the results.
Old 01-20-13, 09:39 AM   #114
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorader
Thanks am reading a lot about La Paz. I am commited to stay in Punta Banda on a years lease so we will maybe the people will make the difference, my wife and I are very out going so who knows thanks for the info. Tim

Unfortunately (or not) Prorader didn't last two months in the Punta Banda community..........his constant bashing of the locals, local businesses, his refusal to take advice and suggestions from locals and his homophobic comments regarding a local resident.....at the same time while trying to shill his wife's at-home business resulted in the folding of his tent and skulking away in the middle of the night.
Old 01-20-13, 11:18 AM   #115
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Unfortunately (or not) Prorader didn't last two months in the Punta Banda community..........his constant bashing of the locals, local businesses, his refusal to take advice and suggestions from locals and his homophobic comments regarding a local resident.....at the same time while trying to shill his wife's at-home business resulted in the folding of his tent and skulking away in the middle of the night.

Ohhhh.....is he gone? And, without saying byebye. Imagine that.
The only reason I ever cut him any slack was he had a VA service connected disability.......for what? I don't know......but........it means something.
Old 01-20-13, 02:39 PM   #116
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

I learned a new word today!

Thought you meant "sulking."
Old 01-20-13, 02:44 PM   #117
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
The relationships you forge down here will make/break your decision to stay. At least that has been my experience...
I stand by my original advice - I don't think Prorader quite got it....

Old 01-20-13, 03:23 PM   #118
Ralph

Ralph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Terry,
I betcha the Punta Banda locals don't miss him! I'm glad he didn't move in next door to you..would've ruined your winter getaway!!
Where's a good TASER...when you really need one?
Old 01-21-13, 08:58 AM   #119
BajaGringo

So did he go to La Paz or back to Lake Chapala or?????

Old 02-06-13, 09:54 PM   #120
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I highly recommend TJ!! Closer to the border for cross-border jaunts 'n all that!

Berry berry wise words, BG....but if he didn't learn that truism in Lake Chapala....or PB....ain't likely he'll ever GET it!! Some people aren't Baja material; others, just aren't happy wherever they are!