Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 02-10-10, 12:20 PM   #21
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Default Re: We are officially in print...

Soulpatch, the thread Barbareno started on nomad made me think of you. Reading El Jefe's response about how he's been down on the East Cape for almost 4 years reminded me of how I'd read his Moving-to-Baja posts with envy as he reported on his retirement, packing his trailer, crossing the border etc. We thought the day would never come when it would be our turn.

Hang on- it'll happen!

Now you have time to visit a few places to narrow down where you guys think you want to be. It sounds like you have some good reading material for when you're wide awake after those middle of the night calls.

BTW BigWooo says that he still hasn't gotten over the habit of eating his food as fast as he can, but he has never enjoyed sleeping through the night this much in his life!

Rolly seems like such a kind man- always generous with his knowledge on Mexico Connect. I'd like to get this book just to learn what I didn't know that I don't know.
Old 02-10-10, 12:45 PM   #22
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Rolly truly is a wonderful guy and generous in helping all with questions on life down here, south of the border. I have known him since prior to his days on mexico-connect and I consider myself fortunate to call him my friend...
Old 02-11-10, 11:42 AM   #23
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Yes, much to my wife's chagrin and my own, I eat faster than the average bear.....I consciously try to slow down but it is an extreme effort.
What is a full nights rest? I wonder what that will be like?
I think we may take 28 days off this summer for exploring with some significant time in LA Bay. Yahoo!
If I ever question my motivation I just read the comment sections of the on line news and I am convinced our society NOB is devolving at a rapid/rabid pace.
Rolly's website is pretty cool. He sounds like a man that is living life rather than enduring it.
Old 02-12-10, 06:10 AM   #24
Barbareno

Barbareno is on a distinguished road

Soul Patch...I like that. I just put "Live Life Rather Then Endure It" on a post it note so I can look at that everyday.
Old 02-12-10, 09:30 AM   #25
soulpatch

I am flabbergasted......I've had two compliments in one morning!
Maybe those new supplements I'm taking are helping me become a better man!
Old 02-12-10, 10:24 AM   #26
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Maybe those new supplements I'm taking are helping me become a better man!
Old 02-12-10, 10:38 AM   #27
BajaGringo

Seriously though soulpatch - it's just all that good karma...
Old 02-12-10, 01:11 PM   #28
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

hell patch, you deserve them..
Old 02-13-10, 12:23 PM   #29
Osprey

Osprey is on a distinguished road

Soulpatch, It's me, your buddy, Osprey. I moved over here so I could continue to help you with your moving decision. I think Baja Gringo will let me post more and longer Bad Hemmingway stuff here that you just can't stomach so I thought I would give you a shout out.
Old 02-16-10, 04:02 PM   #30
soulpatch

Wink Re: We are officially in print...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Soulpatch, It's me, your buddy, Osprey. I moved over here so I could continue to help you with your moving decision. I think Baja Gringo will let me post more and longer Bad Hemmingway stuff here that you just can't stomach so I thought I would give you a shout out.
Well gracias raptor. Nice segue, I love seeing old friends and it is good to see you here. I'll make sure I get a buzz on if I detect any imminent Hemingway coming my way.
Don't underestimate my stomach, remember what I do for a living and if you can imagine it I've seen it and smelled it and probably had my Nitrile ensconced mittens elbows deep in it. Nor, get this one, is my skin paper thin!
How is that for a list?!
I appreciate any guidance you would like to offer and am always open to suggestions. You are already helping to sharpen my mental acuity!
Saludos viejo and let me purchase you the beverage of your choice when I am in more southern climes.
Old 02-16-10, 09:09 PM   #31
La Guera

La Guera is on a distinguished road

Osprey - I read a couple of your stories on the other forum. I really like your sense of humour!
Old 02-27-10, 07:19 AM   #32
Barbareno

Barbareno is on a distinguished road

The book arrived this week and I have been reading a little each morning. Really enjoying it. Very informative and easy to understand. Right now I am reading Chapter 4 Heath Care. Still have lots to learn.

We really want to keep our BC Canada medical while living in Mexico permanently. Gotta be away around that. Like giving a brothers address here.

Tim and I don't have any health issues nor are we on any prescription drugs. I guess I should wait till I finish this chapter before asking questions here. But I will probably want to know if its worthwhile getting Mexican health insurance if you live out in the boonies like Bahia Asuncion. Or if it is even possible.
Old 07-15-10, 09:52 AM   #33
BajaGringo

I opened my outlook this morning to discover a very nice (and unexpected) surprise. The subject line simply said, "You're not going to believe this" - it was from a friend that I had not heard from in a long time. We had worked together on a project in Sumatra for Texaco (before it merged with Chevron) under some very trying conditions back in the mid to late 90's. My last memory of Robert was sharing a chopper ride back to Singapore. At that point my contribution to the project was completed and I later heard through the grapevine that he left Texaco for another job offer. It was just typical of my life back then - always on the move and real connections seemed hard to find. Even more difficult to maintain for any period of time.

It turns out that he had gone to work in Alaska and then came back to a desk job in Houston where he is currently planning his approaching retirement. His wife is Mexican and she inherited the family property in Morelia where they plan to spend their remaining years. Although she was born in Mexico she has lived almost her entire life in the US. They have spent many vacations down at the property but what life south of the border will really be like is still a bit of a mystery to them both.

His wife bought the book to help them plan for the coming move and he discovered that the shady character in the final chapter seemed vaguely familiar, so he found me online and contacted me this morning by email.

Totally made my day...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-15-10, 10:56 PM   #34
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Isn't it great to hear from long lost people you're really sorry you've lost touch with?!
Old 07-16-10, 08:48 AM   #35
BajaGringo

It is Legz. Actually made me think quite a bit yesterday how many wonderful folks have crossed my path in life...

Old 10-14-10, 11:36 PM   #36
seajay44

seajay44 is on a distinguished road

Hi, BajaGringo:

I just bought your book! I am looking forward learning a lot from it.

Seajay44....
Old 10-16-10, 10:03 AM   #37
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay44
Hi, BajaGringo:

I just bought your book! I am looking forward learning a lot from it.

Seajay44....
Actually it isn't my book, but we were honored when they asked to include our story in the final chapter...