Driving in Baja Do We Need a Permit? / Traffic Laws / Crooked Cops

Old 05-14-09, 04:47 PM   #21
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: About US auto insurance while in Mexico

What have you got to lose by checking out the sites I mentioned. Go online, Call them. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-14-09, 07:12 PM   #22
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Does BajaBound.com offer policies to insure in the US too or only Mexico???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-14-09, 11:21 PM   #23
Bajahowodd

Ron- I don't know specifically, but suspect they do. If Geoff has not joined your board, you might want to U2U BajaGeoff over on that "other" board.
Old 05-18-09, 03:55 PM   #24
MitchMan

MitchMan is on a distinguished road

I get my old Blazer insured through a membership in a San Diego agency called Discover Baja Club. I buy an annual policy for liability, no collission and it costs me about $170 for the year which includes a $30 annual membership fee. The policy is with ACE Segurous, S.A. which is a Mexican insurance company. Handle everything on the internet. Get my policy in an email. Limits coverage for bail and legal defense, medical payments per person, and 3rd party liability. Haven't made any claims, ... yet.
Old 05-18-09, 04:59 PM   #25
Bajahowodd

Actually, ACE is a Bermuda based company that was created to shelter taxes involving several US based insurance companies that no longer exist. I don't know what the Mexican laws are concerning insurance companies, and you may well be correct in that the company that insures you is 51% Mexican-owned. That being said, the primary reason that ACE was formed was to avoid US taxes.
Old 05-18-09, 05:48 PM   #26
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

The ACE policy is the equivilant of drivers license insurance or maybe it also is DL insurance. It's for sale everywhere down here for just about the cost that Mitch mentioned...140/150 dollars per year.
It's not always explained to the purchaser that It's not for full time residents. Mexicans here can't buy it. Therefore, if you have it and you need to use it, you can't tell the investigating agent or the authorities that you live only in Mexico. In fact, a US address is required to purchase the policy.
My neighbor got into a wreck, had a DL liability policy and it paid off nicely. No problems at all. MAPFRE TEPEYAC was the underwriter.

http://www.MapfreTepeyac.com
Old 05-19-09, 08:03 AM   #27
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

I went online to Mexipass.com and pulled up local (so. california) agents and called 4. They only want to sell me auto insurance for going to Mexico. No one gets that I want to live in Mexico and visit California. I'm trying National Unity (info from Bajatimes.com from 9/07) and they directed me to Insurance2mexico.com. Again, to Mexico, not from Mexico. I call all this part of "my Mexican Adventure" as we never know what will happen. My new goals in life - be flexible!

Still haven't heard from AAA.
Old 05-19-09, 12:14 PM   #28
DENNIS

I thought it was pretty clearly explained about how a US underwriter will treat you if you live full time in Mexico and want to travel to the states.
So....you want a Mexican underwriter to cover you for liability in the states? There are companys that will. Even for a short period...one day, one week, one month etc. The one day policy has become scarce but, you can get one from street vendors at the Otay border crossing. How extensive a policy are you looking for?
If you don't want to use a PMB, what's wrong with using my suggestion above with the lease agreement? Do you have any other address stateside where you could call "home?"
And...don't worry about being just a bit disingenuious with an insurance company. It's part of their life.
Old 05-19-09, 03:30 PM   #29
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Dennis - I understand the part about getting a mail address in southern california to have an American address and we will be doing that on the next trip down as well as new US bank for easy access to $. I just wanted to get quotes for annual insurance for the states for our vehicles so I did not have to do it one day at a time. What happens if we cross and find fun things to do and spend the night in San Diego? I don't want my insurance to dictate my life.
I have a friend who lives there now and she calls her co. and it is only good for the time specified, i.e. 24 hours, but what if I decide to cross the border and then my husband does it in his car? Plus, I know insurance companies will do anything to keep from paying a claim, so trying to stay "legal", if possible.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-09, 04:17 PM   #30
DENNIS

You still didn't answer the question of coverage. Is it FULL or LIABILITY that you require?
GMAC is as reasonable as anybody on liability coverage. Just buy it by the year and consider it one of your necessary expenditures. If you don't, you'll lose five years off your life for worrying about it.
Move on.........Move on.............Move on.............Your life in Baja awaits you.
Old 05-25-09, 08:03 PM   #31
BajaGringo

So did you get the insurance or not???

Old 05-26-09, 01:58 AM   #32
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

I'm putting together our retirement budget and have been getting US auto insurance quotes also to go along with our "Resident tourist" Mexican policy. Hate to pay it since we'll only be up here a few weeks per year once we move to BCS, but like you gotomex, we want the flexibility of coming and going without having to remember to stop and start the US insurance.

So far " Progressive Direct's" (online) quote has been the lowest rate and was about half the price of some of the others . The quote for Full coverage on our 2008 chevy Silverado crewcab is $446/yr. For the quote I did use our future South Dakota mailing address since that's where we'll be registering the truck, and SD is supposed to have lower rates than other states. As Dennis said, GMAC was the second lowest rate at $550/yr.
Old 03-21-11, 09:22 AM   #33
Margaret&Maggie

Margaret&Maggie is on a distinguished road

Okay, my confusion is pretty real now. I'm moving to Baja and if I ever have to go back state side, I will walk or take a bus. Do I need to get Baja plates on the car? Change my Driver's License from Alabama? "JUNK!" What's the process. "It's what you don't know that gets ya' jiggered!" What's this can of worms going to take to put a top on?

Thanks,
M&M
Old 03-21-11, 12:38 PM   #34
BajaGringo

Living in the border regions you will not have to get either a Baja driver's license or plates. You should however make sure to keep your north of the border plates and license current and then just acquire a good, year round policy for covering you down here in Baja.

Old 03-21-11, 05:58 PM   #35
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

My us auto liability is through Progressive you have to have a us adress like most down here I use my mail service adress. another intersting thing after inquring as to why my ins was so high the told me the less miles you drive in the us the cheaper it is so i cut the milage to 5,000 or less and it cut my premium in half I have the mexican drivers lisc. insurance for here and its 150.00 dls fo two people for a year WORKS FOR ME.
Old 04-21-11, 07:28 AM   #36
Margaret&Maggie

Margaret&Maggie is on a distinguished road

Hey Y'all,

Okay, I've been in the Ensenada area most of the month, cooling my jets until next month, and I'm waiting to hear on the AAA option. I'm supposed to renew next month (May) and I'm hoping it's going to be easy. Let me know. THX. M&M
Old 04-21-11, 09:40 AM   #37
J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gointomex
Bajahowodd - living in California and going to Mexico is fine. My problem is living in Mexico and going to California. Still waiting to hear from AAA.
I like a lot of people live in Mexico and go to Ca.I use a postal service in Ca. and say my car's are housed there. to dramaticaly cut my rate I decladed I drive my vehicle 5,000 miles or less a year in the U.S,.
Although with the new security enhanced drivers license I dont think the mail service will fly anymore
Old 04-23-11, 08:50 AM   #38
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Although with the new security enhanced drivers license I dont think the mail service will fly anymore
Now I know I am out of the loop. So what is up with that???

Old 04-23-11, 01:30 PM   #39
J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Now I know I am out of the loop. So what is up with that???
It has your lifes history on a magnetic strip . I renewed mine the 30th of sept last. still dont have my new one. The story they keep giving me it's in the works.I guess the contractor doing the work screwed things up the DMV keeps telling me not to worry there is a million or so people in the same boat.
In my case they may not be able to fit my lifes story on one card they may have to issue a addendun to mime to get all the info. on it
Old 12-11-11, 11:50 PM   #40
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gointomex
OK, now USAA will only sell you insurance if you separated from the military after 1996 or if your parents have insurance with them. My folks only have stock market stuff there, so no go. I went to AAA in town and they don't have a clue (northern California) so said they will check with southern californa AAA and call me back. We will see.
I have been a USAA member for years and they just recently opened membership up to anyone who was honorably discharged, regardless of rank.

If you qualify, I can tell you that their rates are excellent, as is their service. I use their bank and have my SS direct deposited. They reimburse ATM fees up to $15.00 a month, regardless of global location and give great exchange rates. I have used my ATM at BanaMex, Santander and HSBC so far. Only Banorte turned it down.

Oh, since they are non-profit, at the end of each year they send you a refund based on how much excess profit they had. I just got a little over $50.00.

All the other types of property and life insurance is available too.

Unfortunately they don't offer insurance in Mexico, but they did recommend the same company I bought through Baja Good Life.