Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 06-28-11, 08:30 AM   #121
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Our Construction Thread...

I agree, but a good finish guy can make it visibly less apparent, by just softening the center of the arch.
Old 06-28-11, 08:45 AM   #122
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
I agree, but a good finish guy can make it visibly less apparent, by just softening the center of the arch.
If he does that, the arch will then appear to be lower than the rest...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-28-11, 11:10 AM   #123
longlegsinlapaz

There IS such a thing as a happy medium, ya know....
Old 06-28-11, 11:45 AM   #124
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

The distance across the last arch is 2' less than the one on the left. We had a choice of softening the arch, or keeping the distance from the top of the arch to the ceiling the same as the others. If you soften the arch, the distance between the top of the arch and the ceiling increases, it looks off that way. In the computer it looked better to keep the distance from the top of the arches to the ceiling the same. We'll see if it's the same in real life.

Yes each arch will have a recessed light (picture below). The box that will house it was coated with a tar-like substance on the outside then poured into the concrete beam. Once the light is in place a piece of sheetrock will be installed over it with wire mesh before the scratch and brown coats go on. Then the joint will be taped before doing the finish coat for added measure. Hopefully that will keep any cracks from forming.

Between working on the house and my internet going in and out. (Another story, I'm in the process of switching from Starband to Hughes). I'm not getting much internet time. Gonna finish this post before it goes out again
Old 06-28-11, 02:01 PM   #125
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWooo
... ...
... Ain't that the truth, brother.

Someone once theorized that all modern gizmos have a "Critical Need Detector" built right in. As long as you're casual, with no pressing deadline, the sucker rolls.

The minute you need to get something done:
Quote:
*fFzzZzftTT* *snap* **crackle** {{{POP}}}
Old 06-28-11, 09:49 PM   #126
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

Well Woo what an awsome casa. Such a beautiful view too. Cant wait to see the interior.
Keith
Old 07-03-11, 03:03 PM   #127
alan d

alan d is on a distinguished road

Just finished reviewing all the prior posts and just wanted to say you have a really nice place started. Regarding the wiring, I was wondering if you could provide a few details on wiring a masonry project versus conventional wood frame. Is it a correct assumption that in all these pictures where we see the orange electrical conduit, that they already contain the wires, or at least a pull string? I have previously wired two stick build house and plan to do my own electrical when we build in Baja, however having no prior concrete block experience I was wondering how hard it is to pull wire after the fact (especially a long run and or with a lot of curves). Also I am curious how you anchor the outlet and switch boxes to the block? After chipping a void for the box and connecting the orange conduit, do you just mortar the boxes in place, or is there some other means to anchor the boxes (and do you typically use the same plastic blue boxes commonly found in wood frame construction, or is there a special box for masonry use). Any other pointers to be aware of regarding making the transition from wiring in wood frame to wiring in masonry? Thanks
Old 07-03-11, 04:38 PM   #128
BigWooo

Just finished reviewing all the prior posts and just wanted to say you have a really nice place started. Regarding the wiring, I was wondering if you could provide a few details on wiring a masonry project versus conventional wood frame. Is it a correct assumption that in all these pictures where we see the orange electrical conduit, that they already contain the wires, or at least a pull string?

Thank you....The purpose of the orange conduit is to protect the wire from chafing on the block and rebar. It isn’t stiff enough to put in place, then pull the wire through. The wire is pulled through the conduit prior to installation in the walls. The only conduit I’d trust pulling wire through after the fact is hard galvanized, or pvc conduit. The soft stuff can kink at the corners making it impossible to pull wire through later.

I have previously wired two stick build house and plan to do my own electrical when we build in Baja, however having no prior concrete block experience I was wondering how hard it is to pull wire after the fact (especially a long run and or with a lot of curves).

I wouldn’t pull it after the fact unless you use hard conduit.

Also I am curious how you anchor the outlet and switch boxes to the block? After chipping a void for the box and connecting the orange conduit, do you just mortar the boxes in place, or is there some other means to anchor the boxes (and do you typically use the same plastic blue boxes commonly found in wood frame construction

Using a 4” grinder with a diamond blade, I cut the hole for the box as tight as possible, then anchor the box in place with construction cement (Liquid Nails). Later, if the cell is poured with concrete, that will add additional bonding strength. Plaster coat also helps anchor the box. If you cut the hole too big, you can use wedges to hold it in place until the glue dries. If the box winds up in the center of a block, or between two blocks, I still cut the outline of the box with the grinder, then use a chisel, or roto-hammer to hollow out block until the box fits. It "usually" comes out pretty clean.

, or is there a special box for masonry use).

Not really, I’m using both galvanized and plastic boxes. Plastic is actually easier to work with in block.

Any other pointers to be aware of regarding making the transition from wiring in wood frame to wiring in masonry?

Be prepared to tear a lot of skin off your hands banging them against the block. I’ve donated a lot of blood to this house.

I've run wire both in the ground, and in the trabes, which are the horizontal beams either above the footings, or on top of the walls. Having done both, I prefer running them in the trabe. It’s much cleaner and less hassle later. The wires we ran underground are constantly in jeopardy of being damaged. They are about 6 inches under what will eventually be the floor, sitting on, and buried in sand, to make sure no rocks puncture the conduit or wire. Even so, when they put the forms up for the roof pour, or dug the footings for the arches, we had to constantly monitor them to be sure they didn't damage the wires.. Running them through the footing before the pour, then leave enough wire to run up the wall to the switch, plug, or light is a much cleaner way to go IMHO. Just have to be very sure you measure the wire correctly!!!

In the picture below, the wire is run though a trabe that will be poured above a wall. This is what it looks like before it's poured. The coiled up wire is what will be fed up through the cells of the block that will be laid above the trabe. It will go to a light box. They feed the wire through the cell of each block as they lay them. What I've found to be very critical is to leave about 2-3 feet more wire than you think you'll need. If you come up short, there's no going back to fix it.

Here's the wire after the pour:

These wires will go to an outlet. After the first floor is poured, the block will be laid and the wire fed up the cell. I'll cut a hole in the block, access the wires, then install the box. You've got to mark which cell has the wires, or you'll be cutting a lot of holes trying to find them :

Here's a ceiling fan box. The box is wired to the rebar and will be encased in concrete. When the wood form below is removed the box will be accessible from below to hook up the fan.

I've got a few more pics, but my internet keeps going out. More later.....
Old 07-03-11, 07:47 PM   #129
alan d

alan d is on a distinguished road

BigWooo I can't thank you enough for providing such great detail and specifics regarding wiring in concrete and block construction - some really great suggestions and insights that are much appreciated and that I hope to put to good use (great photos too). Thanks!
Old 07-04-11, 07:51 AM   #130
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan d
...can't thank you enough...
Me too.

This is a wonderful resource for anyone contemplating doing the same, and you make a very valuable contribution to the board providing it.

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-11, 08:56 AM   #131
BajaGringo

I am really enjoying these threads and Wooo's is one of the best. It is fun to see this through the photos/story of somebody else as they build their place as well as unique ideas they incorporate. I did use liquid nails on many small jobs in the house including on the door frames to the block but I hadn't thought of using it for the electrical boxes.

Great idea...

Old 07-04-11, 12:51 PM   #132
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I am really enjoying these threads and Wooo's is one of the best. It is fun to see this through the photos/story of somebody else as they build their place as well as unique ideas they incorporate. I did use liquid nails on many small jobs in the house including on the door frames to the block but I hadn't thought of using it for the electrical boxes.

Great idea...
It's fun to see how other people do things. I've got some more "how I did that" picture, but my internet is too slow, and on/off to post much. Looks like it's going to have to wait until my new Hughes system arrives.
Old 07-04-11, 01:28 PM   #133
BajaGringo

Well, then we'll all be rooting for the Hughes Network truck to show up. Definitely would be interested in other ideas / photos you have to share. I may be an old dog but there is still a trick or two yet I could learn.

I do hope the Hughes setup doesn't block any of that great view you guys have...

Old 07-31-11, 06:44 PM   #134
BigWooo

Finally got our internet back up and running.

Here's a couple of pictures, we're up onto the second story and the first story is completely covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ajuly28-7.jpg

Views:	55

Size:	466.3 KB

ID:	2778   Click image for larger version

Name:	ajuly28-8.jpg

Views:	53

Size:	474.3 KB

ID:	2779   Click image for larger version

Name:	ajuly28-9.jpg

Views:	65

Size:	539.4 KB

ID:	2780  
Old 07-31-11, 07:02 PM   #135
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Hey, that's really coming along nicely!!
Old 07-31-11, 09:35 PM   #136
BajaGringo

Really looking awesome you guys. I know you must really be getting excited...

Old 08-01-11, 07:08 AM   #137
longlegsinlapaz

Everything is starting to come together nicely!! Got a date set for the housewarming?
Old 08-01-11, 01:22 PM   #138
BigWooo

Thanks guys!

Legz, I think we're still about a year away from the "housewarming". Plenty of time for you to find a pet sitter
Old 08-01-11, 04:05 PM   #139
BajaGringo

Are you guys bringing down doors / windows or buying locally?

Old 08-01-11, 07:26 PM   #140
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Are you guys bringing down doors / windows or buying locally?
I had planned to bring down my windows and doors, but I've found two Milgard distributors, one in Cabo and the other in La Paz. So far it looks like it will be less expensive to buy them here, rather than importing them (legally). I'm going to have to go to the warehouse and meet the guys first before I decide though. As far as doors, I think I'm going to get the exterior doors in the U.S. I want fiberglass doors and something that's going to take a beating from a hurricane and not leak. I haven't found any good quality fiberglass doors down here yet.