Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 09-16-09, 08:11 PM   #21
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My TOP Pick in Construction Material

Uhhhhhhhhhh....Marty? That comment about anything specific he was interested in seeing was addressed to ciscokid & was limited to construction pics. I believe there were a couple head-to-toe shots of me in the Catavina thread though! I'm not pigeon-toed like your model!
Old 09-17-09, 08:11 AM   #22
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid
Legs, any more progress pics? We would all like to see the finished project. I am visiting La Paz next month to interview builders for my house project in Los Barriles. Can you share any contact information for contractors that might be interested?
ciscokid, there's actually a different thread that shows a LOT more pics of construction progress & THAT'S the thread that I'll be adding a few more pics to./ You posted there, but in case you didn't remember or couldn't find it.....

Edit: Sorry that link didn't work.....scroll down to the very bottom of this page....center under Hottest Threads, click on "Pictorial Diary of My Construction..."

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 09-18-09 at 06:43 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 09-17-09, 03:02 PM   #23
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Uhhhhhhhhhh....Marty? That comment about anything specific he was interested in seeing was addressed to ciscokid & was limited to construction pics. I believe there were a couple head-to-toe shots of me in the Catavina thread though! I'm not pigeon-toed like your model!
check out the original post of this thread, Pic #2, (tried to re-post that pic, couldn't figure out how to do it???) One of the rare and completely unintentional pictures of LLinLP

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 09-18-09, 12:24 PM   #24
ciscokid

ciscokid is on a distinguished road

Long legs I will be in La Paz from (Oct. 3rd till Oct. 11th. Can you give me any contact info for builders you trust? I tried the link and could not connect.
Old 09-18-09, 06:46 PM   #25
longlegsinlapaz

ciscokid, I don't understand why that didn't work, but....scroll down to the very bottom of this page....center under "Hottest Threads", click on "Pictorial Diary of My Construction..."
Old 01-26-10, 09:01 PM   #26
arturo

arturo is on a distinguished road

Here in northern Baja SIPs have had some success because the competition is so lackluster. Pretty much everything is CMU ("cinderblock") or steel with gypsum sheathing, meaning that our buildings are transparent to sound and temperature.
Old 01-27-10, 10:08 AM   #27
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Actually very few buildings that I have seen built in Baja use cinder block; they use cement block. It is heavier and more dense than cinder block.
Old 01-27-10, 01:23 PM   #28
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo
Here in northern Baja SIPs have had some success because the competition is so lackluster. Pretty much everything is CMU ("cinderblock") or steel with gypsum sheathing, meaning that our buildings are transparent to sound and temperature.
SIP Styrofoam Interlocking Pieces? Not an acronym I'm familiar with.
Old 01-28-10, 09:23 AM   #29
BajaNuts1

Structural Insulated Panel-

it's a 6"-8" chunk of styrofoam sandwiched between 2 sheets of OSB(oriented strand board---basically plywood), made to any size as required by building dimentions, such as 4' wide by 10' tall.

The panels are pre-cut at the factory for doors and windows, and they arrive at the jobsite on a truck. Then the panels are put into place with the help of a boom truck. Basically, the shell of the house can be up in a day.

FWIW- the panels have pre-cut chases in the styrofoam for wiring and plumbing. Theoretically all the chases line up (NOT!) and the wires are just fished along the chases. We've done several of these SIPs houses, the chases NEVER line up and they are a real pain in the arse for us sparkies and the plumbers. The benefit of the SIPs panels is fast construction and an insulation value of something like R200.

This company has some good pics just so you can see what they are.
Structural Insulated Panels | Premier Building Systems SIPs

And just because they are there, I'll throw in a couple smilies~ but they have nothing to do with the actual post.

Old 01-28-10, 09:28 AM   #30
longlegsinlapaz

Thanks Nutz....is there going to be a test later?
Old 01-28-10, 09:47 AM   #31
BajaNuts1

Legz, I hope not! That'd be way too organized.

since this is a construction thread, here's another foam panel product that looks pretty cool. Here'a a link to their projects page, click on one of the tabs on the left to see the actual project pictures.
Hadrian Tridipanel Systems - Projects

I think they have a builder in Cabo that does these foam panel houses. They have some pictures of Baja houses. I got a price sheet off them a while back and it really looks pretty cost effective.

I'd look at these very seriously if we were doing a project. After working on SIPs houses and looking at these TriDipanels, the tridi (other companies call them 3D panels) look way easier for the electrical and plumbing.

(hmm,now let's see what interesting smilies I can throw in here) :headphones:

Old 02-13-11, 09:33 PM   #32
thebreeze50

thebreeze50 is on a distinguished road

Interesting home I am planning and hoping to build one ther soon maybe you can geive me some pointers? I do HVAC and if you have not got your A/C let me know I can help
Paul