General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 04-24-10, 04:59 PM   #21
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Chile Pepper Grow Log 2010

Frost? What's that???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-24-10, 06:56 PM   #22
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

OUCH!

Will someone please take the salt shakers out of the room so no one pours salt in that wound?

And here I was feeling all smug and happy about our early spring weather! Just for that, BG, I'm sending you a BHUT!

Or should I send a Fatalii? They don't make a sauce called "Fataliity" from that pepper for nuthin'!

It's all good~

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 04-24-10, 07:00 PM   #23
BajaNuts1

(man- my edit button is really being fussy! Trying to edit the previous post to say---)

"Just for that, BG, I'm giving you the BHUT!" instead of "sending you a BHUT"

Old 04-24-10, 10:21 PM   #24
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaNuts1
..."Just for that, BG, I'm giving you the BHUT!"
Our cat does that all the time.

Old 04-24-10, 10:41 PM   #25
BajaNuts1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Our cat does that all the time.

my cat does that, too!

BUTT, I'm pretty sure the chile is pronounced "boot" or "bhoot". It sure looks like butt, but it's like boot. I've seen login names like "bhut camp" for a military person.

I know, lame jokes on a Saturday night~

Old 04-25-10, 11:15 AM   #26
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaNuts1
OOOPS! are you looking at that TYPO that says 257 pot plants?

Say, BG, how would YOU know what a good cash crop looks like?

Just Kidding~~~!!!

It's actually not a typo. There is a chile pepper called "7 Pot" or "7 Pod", depending on which source the seeds come from. Different stories about the differences in the name. One story is that 1 pod is hot enough for 7 pots of soup. (25) 7 Pot chile plants. I left it a little vague for fun.

I do have a couple people wanting to buy a couple starts. I really don't want to sell any but I gotta try to pay for the dirt and electricity to keep the little darlings warm somehow!
Strange how plants have stories about them, lots of stories... just like people..

Well, maybe not strange, they do have formal names given to them.. and that is a story in it's self, part of the story of Botany.. which in its self is very interesting..

Thanks for a really good thread.. which I'm hoping goes on for while, I want to see the children
Old 04-25-10, 12:36 PM   #27
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

This thread is becoming one of my favorites, even if we seem to have a hard time keeping it on track. So tell us some more about your cannabis cash crop Nuts...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-26-10, 10:43 PM   #28
BajaNuts1

Well, "someone" confessed to planting couple "unknown" seeds that "someone" found "somewhere"...... But nothing strange with serrated leaves has shown up yet!

I have some growing bags on order, and now I'm trying to locate 2 CUBIC YARDS of potting soil/dirt. Found some locally in 1-yard tote bags (big plastic bags that you have to use a fork lift to move around) but the local stuff has "bio-solids" in it.

Bio-solids = composted human waste

Using composted human waste on food crops is very controversial, not to mention that many people will run the other direction just at the idea of using human waste on plants. So I decided to keep looking for another dirt source.

I'll post transplanted pics in a couple days.

Old 04-27-10, 06:56 AM   #29
wessongroup

BN's.. with almost 300 plants.... you do have a bit of work cut out for yourself...

Have you checked with Home Depot? They usually have a pretty good selection of garden soils already made up from a number of makers... in sizes which you should be able to manage

Also, check with their receiving department, they may have some left over 5 gal "poly" containers.. my son picked up 30 for me last year.. they were going to throw them away... they were repotting and were not going to keep them..

Good luck .... thanks for the update

Old 06-01-10, 06:00 PM   #30
BajaNuts1

I finally have an update with pictures!

I had 2 yards of topsoil/horse manure (50/50 mix) dumped at the house. The neighbor let me use his cement mixer, so I'm mixing about 10 shovels of dirt, 10 handfuls of peat and 3/4c dolomite lime. Dump it out and scoop into grow bags.

First are some pics inside the grow room. Weather here has been so crazy i haven't been able to put the peppers outside yet. I repotted the first batch about 2 weeks ago and left the bags in the back of the truck. Morning, the truck comes out for some sun.... evening it's back into the garage to protect from freezing.

Finally, about 4 days ago, it was temperate enough to leave them out all night. The rest of the starts are still in their starter pots but they are at least outside now.

Here's a story for you-
I had promised my chiropractor a bhut jolokia plant (the Ghost Pepper), so yesterday I took 2 bhuts, a trinidad scorpion and a mystery pepper to our next door neighbor's house. She works for the Chiropractor and I figured she could just take them to work. Well, her hubby comes out and is asking all these questions about the hot peppers, turns out he's kind of a chilehead himself! So I told him, just come on up, I'll give him some plants.

Well.... today.... as Bajanuts2 and I are in the middle of cutting down a LARGE tree close to the house that needed to go away.......here comes Dr. Mark! He'd been down at the neighbor's getting a hair cut and ...Guess What?!? Neighbor's Hubby took the plants I had left for the Doc and planted them in his own garden! That scoundrel!

I talked to them later in the day. They told me hubby found out the hard way about peppers and privates. He didn't was his hands well enough after handling jalapenos before going to the bathroom. (Serves him right! Stealing Someone's Peppers!!! LOL)

Well anyway, Dr. Mark got a few more plants and he's just as happy as a clam.

Here's some pics-

I had 2 pics left out of 10 so I added the big tree that we cut down. It was a Box Elder and full of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prod pics 014.jpg

Views:	31

Size:	349.4 KB

ID:	1820   Click image for larger version

Name:	prod pics 015.jpg

Views:	34

Size:	603.6 KB

ID:	1821   Click image for larger version

Name:	soccer2010 vegfest 019.jpg

Views:	37

Size:	772.9 KB

ID:	1822   Click image for larger version

Name:	soccer2010 vegfest 008.jpg

Views:	36

Size:	788.2 KB

ID:	1823   Click image for larger version

Name:	soccer2010 vegfest 009.jpg

Size:	850.2 KB

ID:	1824  

Name:	soccer2010 vegfest 010.jpg

Size:	982.4 KB

ID:	1825   Click image for larger version

Name:	soccer2010 vegfest 021.jpg

Views:	53

Size:	1.15 MB

ID:	1826   Click image for larger version

Name:	soccer2010 vegfest 022.jpg

Views:	33

Size:	1.20 MB

ID:	1827  

Old 06-01-10, 06:05 PM   #31
BajaNuts1

some of the pics weren't coming through, but here's another one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	prod pics 016.jpg

Views:	39

Size:	589.3 KB

ID:	1828  

Old 06-01-10, 06:13 PM   #32
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default All Right Hippies:

HANDS ON THE WALL!!!

"...maybe not the sharpest tools in the police shed..."
Old 06-02-10, 03:59 PM   #33
wessongroup

You have one heck of a grow going there.... looking good... what a taste sensation coming up... looking forward to pictures of your "fruits"...

One question, can a Chiropractor relive pain of the genitals from coming in contact with capsaicin ?
Old 06-03-10, 09:49 AM   #34
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Bajanuts - Thank you; this newbie really enjoyed reading and viewing the pics on this thread! It almost inspires this non-gardener to try to grow something (legal, of course).
Old 06-03-10, 04:10 PM   #35
BajaNuts1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
You have one heck of a grow going there.... looking good... what a taste sensation coming up... looking forward to pictures of your "fruits"...

One question, can a Chiropractor relive pain of the genitals from coming in contact with capsaicin ?

Wesson- I know he can re-live the pain, but might need asomething like acupuncture to relieve the pain.

And Welcome, Msterieus, glad you enjoyed the posts so far. I've been reading a coupld growing forums, and that inspired me to give it a go.

I haven't done much gardening in quite a while. Hubby tried to get ME to plant and maintain a garden so HE could enjoy the green beans. Well, THAT didn't go very far with me!

I'm hoping for some nice chiles to make some new hot sauces with, even if it is a Limited Edition sauce. I've not had the opportunity to play around with fresh chiles. The only ones available locally are jalapeno and serrano....(BORING!)

More soon~
'Nuts

Old 06-10-10, 07:37 PM   #36
BajaNuts1

hey, everyone,

I just wanted to share that the plants are making their way around the neighborhood.

My neighbor....the new-found chilehead........ came up and I sent him home with a dozen plant starts. Some habaneros, some mystery peppers, and some that I'm most excited to see...........the PETER PEPPERS! His name is Pete................LOL ;)

I told the kid they were called peter peppers because of the nursery rhyme, "peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers".... but that's not quite the whole story!

click here if you want to see what peter peppers can look like~
http://cotswoldchillico.com/img/peter-pepper.jpg

I hope that works out~

AND MOVING ON...........

I gave some to the owner, general manager and 3 employees of the contractor we are currently working for, and our neighbor across the street.

It's good to spread the heat!

Last edited by BajaNuts1; 06-10-10 at 07:39 PM. Reason: image addy
Old 06-10-10, 08:20 PM   #37
wessongroup

Funny how once you add spice to your eating habits... everything seems to just not have IT any more.... what was really hot, seems to be normal.. and you can't imagine how you ate all that without some "peppers" in the mix..... but, good...

Really looking forward to see what you get coming off at harvest .... are you seeing much flower?

Believe a couple of peppers I gave to another nomad to care for, have been fruiting a bit... hope she shares.. you know "don't bogart that pepper my friend"...
Old 06-10-10, 10:15 PM   #38
BajaNuts1

Wesson,
we had one plant that was still in it's growpot that had a large pepper one it. It was about 3" long and still green last weekend but it was the first pepper to get of any size so we picked it!.

It was from a Mystery Pepper plant, and it was very mild. Thin skin, fresh with just the slightest hint of a tiny bite. Not even remotely spicy. And just so's y'all know....we usually eat medium heat salsa in our family!

Most of the plants are getting flowers on them, so I'll take some pictures this weekend as the weather is supposed to be nice.

Our weather has been soooooo baaaaad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every day we come home and say to each other, let's spend 30 minutes planting peppers.........and then it's pouring rain.................

We live in a pretty unique valley, and NO ONE can ever remember a spring being as bad/wet as this one has been for gardens.

Anyway, the plants are spreading and hopefully
when the chiles are on, the HEAT will be spreading also!

Old 06-11-10, 07:44 AM   #39
wessongroup

BajaNuts,

Thanks so much .... had been wondering how you were doing on the "outside" up there .... and a grower can always count on mother nature to give one some different growing conditions .... some of the time...

Good luck... think you did the best... huge planting.. means some will make it.. some

And your finding out, which can tolerate your site specific environmental conditions, this year... all good information for all

Again thanks for all your time and effort on this ..... and I hope your salsa is mild
Old 06-14-10, 08:51 PM   #40
BajaNuts1

well I've been trying for 2 days to upload some pics. Between Win7 not compatible with ANYTHING and not being able to figure out how to upload from photobucket... well.........it'll be a few more days.

We did get everything potted up over the weekend. Sore back and a heck of a sunburn, but it's done.

Pics soon..........one way or another..........