General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-21-09, 02:31 PM   #21
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sign on permanently

Marty, you gave me a headache!!!!

But I now understand why Grunon wears a mask! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Old 06-21-09, 02:42 PM   #22
Sombrero del oro

Sombrero del oro is on a distinguished road

Default OK, ignore my last post.

Back to square two. Still able to type 'S' and get screen name and password, though.
Old 06-21-09, 02:54 PM   #23
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cookies

For sure the key will be understanding why bajalou has the bbpassword and bbuserid cookies and we do not.

WE WANT COOKIES, LOU!!!!

They came from www.talkbaja.com, right?
Old 06-21-09, 03:13 PM   #24
bajalou

bajalou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
For sure the key will be understanding why bajalou has the bbpassword and bbuserid cookies and we do not.

WE WANT COOKIES, LOU!!!!

They came from www.talkbaja.com, right?
yes they are from talkbaja

The content of bbuserid is a number, probably the sign up sequence when I signed up for the site.

the content of bbpassword is a 32 character string of letters and numbers.

I also bookmarked this with my Yahoo bookmarks, and I'm signed in when I use them to reach the site.

Also looked at my Firefox add-ons and extensions to see if I had added something to do all this and can't find any that have to do with logging on or saving passwords.

Last edited by bajalou; 06-21-09 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 03:36 PM   #25
bajalou

Fuzzy memory, but I know that sometimes when I sign into a site, Firefox askes if I want to be kept signed in till I sign out. I always say "yes" to this qestion. Not sure if this happened when I signed into TalkBaja.
Old 06-21-09, 04:15 PM   #26
bajalou

Well, I'm not going to log out to test it while it's working so well for me. Sorry guys
Old 06-21-09, 04:31 PM   #27
longlegsinlapaz

Mine defaulted back to "Username" & a failed login after I did a reboot. Checked & longlegsinlapaz is the ONLY saved username & password showing now, so how/why did TB try to log me on as "Username"? ARRRRRRRGH!! :icon_cry::icon_cry:

Would someone please wake me when all this is sorted out? :icon_lol:
Old 06-21-09, 04:42 PM   #28
Sombrero del oro

Sombrero del oro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Mine defaulted back to "Username" & a failed login after I did a reboot. Checked & longlegsinlapaz is the ONLY saved username & password showing now, so how/why did TB try to log me on as "Username"? ARRRRRRRGH!! :icon_cry::icon_cry:

Would someone please wake me when all this is sorted out? :icon_lol:
At least Firefox solved one problem. I simply type the first letter of my user name and up it pops. Then when I click on it my password is filled in. WAY better than with IE.
Old 06-21-09, 04:52 PM   #29
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

First of all, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who just keeps pushing the buttons and hoping something works and my computer does not explode.

Took me a while to figure out that if I push quick links, I find the today's post and more. Haven't figured out yet why some people have friends, and others do not and what it means to have friends in your profile. On second thought----boy, is that an opening. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

As far as being signed in all the time, I might suggest a little caution with that one. I like to stay used to signing in and out---good practice, in my mind. Once in Mulege I went into a local internet cafe, opened another forum, and someone I know was logged in---he did not log out as he is used to never logging out when at home.

I was my usual nice self :icon_e_wink: and simply posted a message under that person's name telling him to be careful. I could have caused him all kinds of problems before I logged him off. :icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

So, if you figure out how to stay logged in, do be careful.

Diane
Old 06-21-09, 07:41 PM   #30
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Logging off on an internet cafe machine is of course the wise thing to do but when on your personal computer in your own home and no one using it but you staying logged on is a good thing.

I for another have not been able to find the secret to staying logged on at this forum.
Old 06-21-09, 09:26 PM   #31
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

I've never logged off here or Nomad. Only when I use another computer...log on and log off.
Old 06-21-09, 09:38 PM   #32
bajalou

Well in the interest of education, I have my computer in here from my Bronco. So I logged on to TalkBaja and this one is acting just like everyone else's regarding staying logged in. Can't find any difference in Firefox settings between the two. I'll look at this some more tomorrow. I don't have the id and password cookies on this that the other one has, but I have a stored password which is where the smart entry of username gets the password.

??????

By the way, I'm logged on on both machines at the same time - this works on lots of sites.
Old 06-22-09, 07:41 AM   #33
bajalou

Well guys and gals, after looking around a lot, I do believer that it is a setting in the BB program that allows the cookies that I received and others didn't. Probably a setting somewhere that has been changed in the tuning up of the site. I think you're going to have to look at some global settings in the program to get this going.

I don't think it's in the user controls.
Old 06-22-09, 08:57 AM   #34
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
We're getting there, guys.

I have the bblastvisit and bblastactivity cookies, but I do NOT have bbpassword nor bbuserid.

In addition I have one called bbsessionhash.

Let me try something else. I think "Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar" might be it.
For the sake of increased data collection to hopefully allow Ron a better overall view of who has what....

I DO have:
bblastvisit, bblastactivity & bbsessionhash

I DO NOT have:
bbpassword or bbuserid
Old 06-22-09, 09:55 AM   #35
bajalou

It's something that worked at one time - maybv a short time - but it worked. So somewhere there's a setting for it. Ok Ron, just turn it on.
Old 06-22-09, 11:23 AM   #36
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

It worked yesterday,
but now it is not working
Windows is like that

After it's fixed:

What once was broken
is now working splendidly
why; cannot be known

Old 06-22-09, 12:02 PM   #37
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I am able to logon each time automatically without a problem. My guess is that with the new forum software conversion, some of your browsers did not pick up the new cookie for whatever reason. The software will place a small file called a cookie on your computer to remember the site next time you visit as well as your settings. If you have session cookies disabled this can be a problem. The fix for this is quite simple.

Cookie Fix In FireFox:

1. Click on Tools | Options | Privacy
2. Click on Accept 3rd Party Cookies
3. Click on Keep until: They expire
4. Click on Show Cookies
5. Scroll down and click on the cookie file for talkbaja.com
6. Click Remove Cookie | Close | OK
7. Close Firefox
8. Re-Open Firefox (new session)
9. Open TalkBaja.com and login
10. It should now remember you each time until you Log Out

Internet Explorer probably has a similar format - haven't used it in a long time and partly due to such types of problems. Firefox is a much better option. I hope this helps.
Old 06-22-09, 12:36 PM   #38
bajalou

I tried what you suggest, Ron, on my second computer and I still have to log in each time I start Firefox. It does NOT leave cookies bbuserid or bbpassword, which I believe are the cookies required to keep me logged in across multiple Firefox sessions.
Old 06-22-09, 12:43 PM   #39
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I am able to logon each time automatically without a problem. My guess is that with the new forum software conversion, some of your browsers did not pick up the new cookie for whatever reason. The software will place a small file called a cookie on your computer to remember the site next time you visit as well as your settings. If you have session cookies disabled this can be a problem. The fix for this is quite simple.

Cookie Fix In FireFox:

1. Click on Tools | Options | Privacy
2. Click on Accept 3rd Party Cookies
3. Click on Keep until: They expire
4. Click on Show Cookies
5. Scroll down and click on the cookie file for talkbaja.com
6. Click Remove Cookie | Close | OK
7. Close Firefox
8. Re-Open Firefox (new session)
9. Open TalkBaja.com and login
10. It should now remember you each time until you Log Out

Internet Explorer probably has a similar format - haven't used it in a long time and partly due to such types of problems. Firefox is a much better option. I hope this helps.
You're special because you're the Administrator! I've heard Admins get special treatment!

10. It should now remember you each time until you Log Out <<< SHOULD being the operative word in this sentence.

I just followed your instructions to the letter...3 times...each time it defaults back to "Username". Are you SURE it doesn't have anything to do with thems that HAVE bbuserid & bbpassword cookies & thems that DON'T?

edit out bblogin, replaced with bbuserid

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 06-22-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 01:47 PM   #40
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Still does not work for me either. What the hay it is not the end of the world. Yet.
:icon_cigarette::icon_coffee: