Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 07-16-10, 02:07 AM   #41
seajay44

seajay44 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Planning a Move to Ensenada

Hi, Teniente:

I am coming down next week. Is it possible to get your phone number so I can get in touch with you when I'm there?

If you don't want to publicize it on the forum, you can email it to me at chhjmex@hotmail.com.

Because I work on the Internet, I will need the availability of an Internet cafe or somewhere (Macdonald's?) where there's free WIFI. Do you know of any places you could tune me into?

Thank you.

Seajay44....
Old 07-16-10, 05:52 AM   #42
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Sent you a private message. Your e-mail address came back as invalid
Old 07-16-10, 06:31 AM   #43
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Pssst: posting an email "in the clear" like that on a forum is a great way to generate spam to it.

We currently have 396 confirmed spammers that have been on this forum, with more every day...

It's better to "munge" an address to keep it from being "harvested."

You could use the private message function here as well.
Old 07-16-10, 08:37 AM   #44
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay44
Hi, BajaGringo:

I have a possible line on a home in San Quintin. How far is it from Ensenada? Can you tell me a little about it or direct me with a link?

Thank you.

seajay44....
The San Quintin area is a small town (population) that covers a large area about a two and a half to three hour drive south of Ensenada, depending on traffic. It is mainly an agriculture / fishing town that has pretty good weather and a low cost of living.

Share with me the link to the home you are looking at and I will tell you about that area you are considering.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-04-10, 01:40 AM   #45
seajay44

seajay44 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm not sure how to post a message that I'm sure that everyone will read, but, in an attempt to do so, I am posting a reply here for BajaGringo:

I did get down to Ensenada the July 20-22, but the trip didn't go as smothly as I'd hoped: I had arranged to pick up a Budget rental car in Tijuana and drive down with my step-son who lives in TJ. They wouldn't take my debit card, and, as I had used it before in Mexico at the ATM to withdraw funds and thought there'd be no probblem with it, I didn't take a credit card. No rental car. So, we took the bus down from Tijuana to Ensenada, and it was a very pleasant trip, reasonably priced, and on luxury busses that made the Amtrak bus look like a third-world country, bus stations relatively conveniently located, etc. Rented a very reasonably-priced hotel room in downtown. Nothing fancy but OK and convenient for people who had to walk.

I'm not sure what the cause was (I've never had problems with the water before, but I did eat a late breakfast before we turned in), but I woke up the next AM with Montezuma's Revenge. Got dressed immediately and went to the Farmacia across the street bought the right meds, and started taking them immediately. No more trots, but I felt weak and didn't do much that whole day. The next day, I felt better, and, through a couple of contacts that I already had downtown, got some information and asked them to start looking for what I wanted, and, after eating again, we hit the bus back to Tijuana as I had a long circuitious trip back home starting relatively early the next day. In Tijuana, I stayed at a friend of my step-son's who also was willing for gas money to drive me where I need to go, to the bus station and back, etc.

If you will remember, I was worried about Internet access as I have to work online everyday, but I had no problems finding conveniently-located, friendly, and inexpensive Internet Cafes in both Tijuana and Ensenada.

Altogether, although the trip did not really go as I'd hoped (I wanted to drive around and actually look at some rentals in Ensenada), I think it worked out pretty well. I learned a number of things that I needed to know to keep the green light on for the planned move towards the end of the year: I made some good contacts, I found the city very clean and attractive (as I had remembered it), my step-son also liked it (as he will be coming down with me), and, in the face of several minor emergencies, I was able to put fall-back plans into operation with few problems. So, after all that, I came back with a greater motivation to get myself in gear, get rid of a lot of possessions that I'd had for too many years, find homes for most of my cats (I've got some help for that from a local pet protection group), get myself together, and get to Ensenada.

I'm sorry that I was not able to connect with those of you that I indicated that I would. I will keep in touch here as I know there will be many more concerns and questions before this becomes a reality, and I am hoping to come down again in October to make specific arrangements for the move in mid or late November and hope to see you then.

Thank you very much.

Seajay44
Old 08-04-10, 07:18 AM   #46
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

We are reading your message just fine.

Thanks for the update and good luck!
Old 08-04-10, 09:34 AM   #47
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

HI Seajay 44
The advice you have ben given here is top notch.
I have lived for 6 years in the punta banda area. and I really like it
you didnt say wheather you drive or not.Its my opinion if you dont drive punta banda is possible .but Ensenada would be better.
the longer I live here the more I like Ensenada if the R.E. market were better I would sell my house in Punta Banda and move Into one of the upscale neighborhoods in Ensenada.I really dont look forward to spending the remainder of my life around a bunch of cranky old bored americans.
Old 08-04-10, 01:42 PM   #48
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
HI Seajay 44
The advice you have ben given here is top notch.
I have lived for 6 years in the punta banda area. and I really like it
you didnt say wheather you drive or not.Its my opinion if you dont drive punta banda is possible .but Ensenada would be better.
the longer I live here the more I like Ensenada if the R.E. market were better I would sell my house in Punta Banda and move Into one of the upscale neighborhoods in Ensenada.I really dont look forward to spending the remainder of my life around a bunch of cranky old bored americans.
Well....if you haven't lived amongst them in the past, you're in for a surprise. The Mexican people are extremely private. They usually won't chat over the backyard fence or anywhere else.
I lived in town in down-scale and up-scale neighborhoods and kind of forced myself upon my neighbors to the point that we got along fine. It wasn't easy and acceptance was all theirs to give....or not.
I got to know the lady across the street pretty well and one day I asked her the name of her next-door neighbor. She had no idea in spite of living next to them for twelve years.

Point is, John....it can get real lonely under those circumstances for some people. You may think it would be alright, but it would be like living in an isolated area. It's not the environment most of us are used to.
Old 08-04-10, 02:06 PM   #49
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting, what you say, Dennis. It's probably a little bit of different strokes...

There are a number of postings I've read on various Baja boards where people belittle those who choose to reside among ex-pats or in so-called Gringo ghettos. You do cast a different light on it. Imagine that unless someone has the lifestyle of a hermit, they ought to think twice, eh?
Old 08-04-10, 02:41 PM   #50
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

good point Dennis.
I for one would choose total isolation rather than living amongst people that are constantly trying to change things around to the way they were in the Good Ole US of A. and are so in contempt of their Mexican neighbors.they gather up in the so called guetto campos. you and i both know people that are so afraid of the boogie man or whoever.That they wouldnt think of going to Ensenada to shop without going in groups.90pct.of them have never turned right at the y in Maneadedo If Things Were So Great Up There WHY ARE THEY DOWN HERE
Old 08-04-10, 02:51 PM   #51
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
There are a number of postings I've read on various Baja boards where people belittle those who choose to reside among ex-pats or in so-called Gringo ghettos. You do cast a different light on it. Imagine that unless someone has the lifestyle of a hermit, they ought to think twice, eh?
Think twice for sure, Howard. A Gringo moving into a Mexican neighborhood is going to be in hostile territory for starters. Where does it say we're on their Favorites list?
At first, living in town, I chose an extremely affordable neighborhood and it just didn't work out. The local thugs would wait until the sun came up before they would suck all the gas out of my car. God forbid they would try to do that in the dark.
I moved from that location to a really nice area closer to the tourist zone and lived there for eight years...then on to another nice area for another three years....then to Rosarito for two....on and on.
All areas were the same as far as privacy is concerned. Mexicans don't have a sense of neighborhood as we know it. They have more a sense of family and their life is lived behind closed doors in houses with high walls and sharp fences.

OK...I know someone is going to come on here and say they've lived in Mexican neighborhoods and had a wonderful cultural-interchange time. Good. I'm glad.
Old 08-04-10, 05:49 PM   #52
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Sorry that's been your experience Dennis - mine has been quite the opposite. Maybe I'm just lucky...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-04-10, 05:55 PM   #53
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS

OK...I know someone is going to come on here and say they've lived in Mexican neighborhoods and had a wonderful cultural-interchange time. Good. I'm glad.

Dennis, does it count if I spent years in La Colonia in Oxnard?
You make a good point and I think, if anyone were to care to look, that you can view the "neighborliness" of an area by how houses are constructed.
Those neighborhoods with open spaces....more neighborly. Those with walls and courtyards...more private. I know what I see most of in Mexico.
Old 08-04-10, 06:19 PM   #54
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Dennis, does it count if I spent years in La Colonia in Oxnard?
Here ya go, Frank, just to bring everybody up to speed:

Colonia, Oxnard, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-04-10, 08:18 PM   #55
Gruñón

Gruñón is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Think twice for sure, Howard. A Gringo moving into a Mexican neighborhood is going to be in hostile territory for starters. Mexicans don't have a sense of neighborhood as we know it. They have more a sense of family and their life is lived behind closed doors in houses with high walls and sharp fences.

Having lived in a 100% Mexican neighborhood for 10 years with me being the only gringo in the neighborhood and married to a Mexican woman
I will keep it short by just saying I agree with Dennis.
Old 08-04-10, 09:35 PM   #56
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Damn, Dennis, you got game!

Quote:
Here ya go, Frank, just to bring everybody up to speed:

Colonia, Oxnard, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, can you imagine this fair-skinned redhead strolling fearlessly through that hood back in the late '70's and 90's? Man, I used to get some hard looks and a few words. Young and dumb, I guess.

OOPS! Back on topic. Wish I were moving to Ensenada....
Old 08-05-10, 02:06 PM   #57
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

On the point about family, obviously a number of folks here have married into Mexican families. I would have to guess that, especially dependent upon the size of the family, it provides an advantage.
Old 06-13-12, 11:44 AM   #58
prorader

prorader is on a distinguished road

Punta Banda is where I am going in Aug, wonderfull bay, resonable distance to medical, shopping but isolated from any action that may worry you. Contact Denise Cruz Cruz International Real Estate, Ensenada Mexico. she I think owns the area but she has her act together big time, personal attention, information packet on the area, 27 years doing business in this area. She has the rental market for the area, builds homes, and buys and remodels homes.

JP is that your opinion of Punta Banda, "cranky old bored americans" I am not in that catagory at all

Last edited by prorader; 06-13-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-13-12, 12:02 PM   #59
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorader
Punta Banda is where I am going in Aug, wonderfull bay, resonable distance to medical, shopping but isolated from any action that may worry you. Contact Denise Cruz Cruz International Real Estate, Ensenada Mexico. she I think owns the area but she has her act together big time, personal attention, information packet on the area, 27 years doing business in this area. She has the rental market for the area, builds homes, and buys and remodels homes.

JP is that your opinion of Punta Banda, "cranky old bored americans" I am not in that catagory at all
Hey...prorader....you're asking a question to a two year old post.
Something else.....Denise Cruz owns nothing out here. She only works out here when misguided customers like you fall across her advertising, and I told you before to be careful.
She has no rental market out here. In fact.....go up to Playa Escondido and ask about her there. They don't share your level of devotion.....to put it mildly.
Old 06-13-12, 12:30 PM   #60
prorader

prorader is on a distinguished road

Well that is that she appeared to be very professional, has or showing 19 listings, gave me a welcome packet with all the information that I could ever think of, showed me the houses in my catagory. We all know about the real estate market in Mexico, but you have to go to someone, when you are limited on time and distance. I am happy with the deal as is, we will see, if you are right then I will come back and say so, until then the deal is done

You are right this BB is confusing didn't see the date on the side, there appears to be little activity here sorry

I am used to BB's that have a lot of current activity, never thought that this board is carrying so my old posts as current, thanks DENNIS for bringing this up. I think now that this board has very little current value

Last edited by prorader; 06-13-12 at 12:55 PM.