Medical / Dental Care in Baja Una manzana por dia...

Old 02-10-13, 01:14 PM   #101
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Medical Care - How do you deal with it in Baja?

Old 02-11-13, 07:19 AM   #102
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

I had to click....I used to work in Laguna Beach. That was the standard uniform in some circles.
Old 02-11-13, 08:42 AM   #103
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Hey Kate! 2 days in-house doesn't sound like very long even in this day and age after surgery, transfusion, etc. Walking is good but take it easy still. I'm picturing those uneven, high curbs in your neighborhood- big steps up (aoowww) and big drops down (aoowww).

How about one of these lumbar supports and you could turn it around and adjust the placement to meet your needs. I've seen the guys at Home Depot in LP wearing them and maybe they even sell them there. (New ones, not their used smelly ones).
Attached Images

Old 02-11-13, 10:38 AM   #104
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Oladulce! I've seen those, but in my case support would need to be much lower on the tum, at what would be the bikini line if I were still bikini-friendly (ahem). Yeah, I still can't do big steps down. I'm mostly pacing the back patio or elsewhere in or near home, maybe doing a couple of light chores along the way. I passed on my usual walk to the Carnaval parade with my neighbors, given the steep hill, jostling crowd, and lack of appropriate baño facilities. Tomorrow I visit the doc to get stitches out and will see what he advises. All I can say is that recovery from this type of surgery is more of a challenge at 65 than it was at 45. Yeeesh!
Old 05-10-13, 10:06 AM   #105
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

I just returned from a visit to Rosarito Beach and had occasion to visit Hospital Bonanova. It is located one block south of El Nido Resturant. They are offering a contract for 100 pesos a week, approx, $410 year. It includes unlimited visits for the policy holder and any family members listed on the policy. You will been seen by the General Practioner. Other items included at no extra charge are: one set of exrays per yr, two dental cleanings a yr., home vist by the Doctor to your house, unlimited per yr., ambulance service, 24/7, to the Hopsital or itf needed to the U.S. Border for transfer.

Even though we only vist a few times a year, this seems like a very reasonable price, especially in case of emergency. Is anyone familar with this program or with Hospital Bonanova. I understand that the hospital has been arond many years.

er.
Old 05-15-13, 04:35 AM   #106
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Wow - hadn't heard about these guys but it would be interesting to hear feedback from others who have actually used the service...

Hospital Bonanova

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-15-13, 07:57 AM   #107
larry

We will be touring the enire facility in July and I will give a report of the visit.
Old 07-16-13, 09:21 AM   #108
larry

We toured the Hospital and were impressed. It is small with 6 patient rooms however they have on staff about 5 Doctors of various disciplines. We signed up for their medical plan that is designed for Americans. It was $415 for the entire year. It includes 24 hr ambulance service, emergency room visits, and as many visits to see a Doctor you need all at no additional charge. Also includes two dental cleanings a year, one free lab test, one free xray.
Old 07-16-13, 04:10 PM   #109
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Not that we want for you to have any medical emergencies but it would be really helpful to hear your experience with them after you get to put them to the test, so to speak.

Great information, thanks...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-16-13, 06:06 PM   #110
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Not that we want for you to have any medical emergencies but it would be really helpful to hear your experience with them after you get to put them to the test, so to speak.

Great information, thanks...
It was not an emergency, however we did have need to see a Doctor. We walked in the door with no appointment and were seen in 5 minutes but, what I feel, was a very competent physician. No charge.
Old 07-16-13, 06:57 PM   #111
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

I have used the Red Cross in Ensenada once when I cut my leg open pretty bad and it needed several stitches. They were great and very inexpensive!! A doctor and two nurses cleaned me up, and put the stitches in. As soon as I got back to San Diego, I went to UCSD's Thornton Hospital Emergency room and they looked it over, took x-rays to see if they cleaned it out enough. They said it was excellent work. Never had any infection problem and I healed quickly.