Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 07-01-10, 06:23 AM   #61
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Soulpatch, I found the perfect starter home....

With supportive parents, I'm sure good opportunities can be discovered no matter where you live.
Old 07-01-10, 07:49 AM   #62
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
...it will be a long time before the civil servant is no longer the devil in the public's eye...
Isn't it ridiculous?

Well done, Oligarchs. They have us so at each other's throats that we begrudge people who actually do something and (still)have a decent income.

AS. IF. you were the folks who agreed to spend our money. I suppose a logical extension of that is to assert you were supposed to negotiate lower compensation because you are now your brother's public finance keeper.

Isn't that what our elected officials are employed to do?

Sorry for the hijack; I'll delete if you like.
Old 07-01-10, 08:42 AM   #63
bajabass

bajabass is on a distinguished road

There just happens to be a marine biological reaserch facility in La Paz!
Old 07-01-10, 12:01 PM   #64
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Actually I think Marty makes a very valid point that is relevant to the thread. Well, at least relevant to the thread hijack at least.

Times are changing very quickly and as soulpatch noted, many who have enjoyed a good living and did all the right things financially might discover very soon that the pot at the end of the rainbow is filled with copper coins. "They" do have us at each others throats Marty by blaming those "other guys" for our financial woes:

General Public vs Police/Fire/Emergency Services/Immigrants/Labor Unions/China/etc etc etc

The main push is to keep our focus off "them". All the while we keep playing this political football game, blaming the "other" side for all our problems and we continue to watch our wealth / assets / lifestyle worked so hard for erode slowly away. It's those "other guys" on the six o'clock news that we hate today who are the root of all our problems.

They keep us angry and fighting with everyone else except with "them". As Bajahowodd loves to remind us (corerctly IMHO) we are witnessing an incredible reconcentration of wealth; something that wasn't supposed to happen in a global economy I thought?

Something tells me this isn't just free market economics at work.

I personally don't think it would make any difference who we put in the White House now. The ship is moving too fast at this point to avoid the falls. Any efforts made will only slightly delay the inevitable, in my ever be it so humble opinion. If my retirement plan offered me the option of lump sum I would take it. I don't have a lot of faith in the ability of so many pension plans (in trouble) to keep paying out to a retired babyboomer generation now heading into retirement. A large and growing segment of the population that now will expect to receive their monthly check for decades with younger generations behind them contributing less and less to same said pension funds.

It just doesn't compute on my slide rule.

All the more reason in my mind to make the plan for the rest of your life now, not later. Divest yourself of your RE assets NOB as soon as you can and start the rest of your life down here sooner rather than later.

But what do I know? I'm just a Gringo metiche y chismos living down here on the beach...

By the way - Go Firefighters!!! I went through firefighter and EMS training a couple of decades ago when I served as a volunteer fireman for a small community up in Sequoia. Best job I never got paid for!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Too late with that lame excuse.....I already cast the hex!

Hex??? Watch it Legz - I have a big box of long legged voodoo dolls just waiting to be called into action...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-01-10, 07:55 PM   #65
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Hex??? Watch it Legz - I have a big box of long legged voodoo dolls just waiting to be called into action...

Hex recalled! Could you please remove that pin you put in my lower back a couple weeks ago?
Old 07-01-10, 08:07 PM   #66
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Yeah, and the one you added last Saturday got me by mistake (I have long legs, too, though not as long as Longlegs's long legs).

Um, what was this thread about?

Kate
Old 07-01-10, 08:12 PM   #67
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Old 07-01-10, 08:17 PM   #68
BajaGringo

What thread???

Old 07-01-10, 08:19 PM   #69
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

much more fun.. this way.. at least for me.. I have an attention span of .... what was I say
Old 07-07-10, 09:33 AM   #70
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

My wife and I were just looking at the pictures of senor bass's new digs and we are sold.....
Let's do some math! 2 years, 1 month, 22 days, 14 hours and 27 minutes.....
I need one of those countdown clocks.
Sheesh, I can remember like it was yesterday when it was 2 years, 1 month and 23 days.
Oh, that's right, that was yesterday.
Old 07-07-10, 10:04 AM   #71
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

I didn't start counting down until the 18-month mark, when my offer to buy a house was accepted and I knew I could really, really retire and move. Didn't get into hours and minutes because the time difference was too confusing. Trust me, Soulpatch, at times it will feel like each day is a year long, but when you get to the last months, each day will seem about 30 seconds long. You'll be there before you know it!!
Old 07-07-10, 12:16 PM   #72
bajabass

bajabass is on a distinguished road

I was inside the year mark, before I even new!! Everything hinges on selling my business. I had NO idea a long-term customer would call out of the blue, wanting MY business. Pure luck, fate, destiny, good karma(I hope), whatever you want to call it! I'm somewhere between 3-7 months from adios time!!! Soulpatch, the time will fly, be patient. You have a lot of time for homework, much more so than I. Put it to good use, and your transition should be more economical and much smoother. As an added bonus, you won't be spending 4-8 months without your wife!
Old 07-07-10, 04:41 PM   #73
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

The one fear that haunts me, given the global economy and with the threats that have been made by big time financial managers to move off-shore to avoid scrutiny, should we ever really have scrutinizers, is why does anyone seem to feel that living in Mexico will somehow inoculate you against the onslaught of money managers who plain don't give a rat's culo about anything but profit. OK. So I can get down with the idea that if someone has already obtained their Mexican dream house and is free and clear of mortgage debt, I still have to worry about the day to day financing of living when the evil bastards will stop at nothing to accrue their riches at the diminishment of the masses. Just thinking that unless folks have their mattresses stuffed with cash, there will continue to be the threat that not only Social Security, but pensions and IRA's and whatnot will be at risk.
Old 07-07-10, 05:19 PM   #74
BajaGringo

Tortillas y frijoles.

You'll manage...

Old 07-07-10, 07:37 PM   #75
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Agree with BG. Very few will be innoculated, if some of the dire predictions are accurate. Anyone who thinks Mexico or any country wouldn't be severely impacted would be naive.
noproblemo
This message has been deleted by noproblemo.
noproblemo
This message has been deleted by noproblemo.
Old 07-07-10, 08:27 PM   #76
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

The good news is that to alter my retirement the state's constitution would have to be amended.
The bad news is if that happens there's already going to be lots of blood in the streets and even more after the guys who are armed (retired law enforcement and prison guards) have their retirements stolen from them.
Even then, I'd rather be in Mex.
Old 07-08-10, 05:37 AM   #77
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
My wife and I were just looking at the pictures of senor bass's new digs and we are sold.....
Let's do some math! 2 years, 1 month, 22 days, 14 hours and 27 minutes.....
I need one of those countdown clocks.
Sheesh, I can remember like it was yesterday when it was 2 years, 1 month and 23 days.
Oh, that's right, that was yesterday.
You really only have one year, 22 days.....The last year is a blur. You'll be so busy, it'll pass before you know it. Then when you're retired, I think somehow time speeds up. I can't believe 7 months have passed already
Old 07-08-10, 05:45 AM   #78
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Here's my last you-know-what in the punch bowl.

The arithmetic is what it is, at the city, state and national level. If there is no viable way to redistribute a massive amount of wealth to cover the shortfall in budgets, pension funds and entitlements at any of those levels, Constitutions will be amended, laws will be changed faster than you can say Proposition 13. Or, ignored. Which as one Congressman put it..."we ignore the Constitution all the time". The non-textualist philosophy of constitutional interpretation can redfine the meaning and commitment in a matter of a few weeks....or hours in a "crisis", grinding granite to sand.

For my part it's not a blame statement or a political statement. It's realization that, however we came to this point, the assumptions and trusts we implicitly held for decades are not as solidly based as we thought they were and any form of dependency on governments or private companies should be carefully re-evaluated as best as one can.

Last edited by dusty; 07-08-10 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 05:57 AM   #79
BajaGringo

Well said Dusty. Which is why I suggest folks take a lump sum today if such an option is offered them...

Old 07-08-10, 06:01 AM   #80
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
The one fear that haunts me, given the global economy and with the threats that have been made by big time financial managers to move off-shore to avoid scrutiny, should we ever really have scrutinizers, is why does anyone seem to feel that living in Mexico will somehow inoculate you against the onslaught of money managers who plain don't give a rat's culo about anything but profit. OK. So I can get down with the idea that if someone has already obtained their Mexican dream house and is free and clear of mortgage debt, I still have to worry about the day to day financing of living when the evil bastards will stop at nothing to accrue their riches at the diminishment of the masses. Just thinking that unless folks have their mattresses stuffed with cash, there will continue to be the threat that not only Social Security, but pensions and IRA's and whatnot will be at risk.
Having been a Union guy for many years, I discovered one thing: Someone is ALWAYS trying to take something away. Just as one battle is lost or won, another rears it's ugly head. It's never ending. That's why there are unions. I've met some pretty amazing people that you'll never read about, who dedicate hundreds, or even thousands of hours of their personal time protecting us from what you mention above. I have confidence they will continue to do so.