General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 08-22-10, 11:56 AM   #141
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: TALK (about) BAJA???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Oh, believe me friend - I do go fishing. It is impossible to live in this place and not fish. I know people here who actually don't like to fish but do anyway - you can't help it. Going out with the guys for a day on the panga is a regular part of the social routine around here.

So are there any lost missions in our neck of the woods? Just give me a hint and I will put the dogs to work and track it down.

As far as the house, well... even if it is finished it will never be "finished". I am always seeing something to change/add/redo. It is part of my insanity but Cristina hangs with me anyway...

There is one site I would like to find... a "deep pool of fresh water from a nearby bubbling warm water spring" (between El Socorro and El Rosario)... None is recorded in any guides, but it was documented in the story of a 1921 trip by foot: 'Long Walk to Mulegé' by Howard Hale c1980.. page 40.

Sure, that was almost 90 years ago... but it existed once upon a time.
Old 08-22-10, 01:15 PM   #142
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
There is one site I would like to find... a "deep pool of fresh water from a nearby bubbling warm water spring" (between El Socorro and El Rosario)... None is recorded in any guides, but it was documented in the story of a 1921 trip by foot: 'Long Walk to Mulegé' by Howard Hale c1980.. page 40.

That would be quite a find indeed !!! If anyone ever locates it be sure to take pics. There is so much history to be discovered in Baja.
Old 08-22-10, 02:31 PM   #143
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Just don't tell folks how to get there, or paradise lost.
Old 08-22-10, 07:17 PM   #144
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Just don't tell folks how to get there, or paradise lost.
Why?

Paradise isn't for the good people of Talk Baja?

What good is a site if it is unknown, unseen, unappreciated?
Old 08-22-10, 07:20 PM   #145
noproblemo

Quote:
Why?

Couldn't agree more it's for everyone to share as is history
Old 08-22-10, 08:14 PM   #146
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

So is there any more information that might give me a clue as to where to start?

I love hot springs...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-25-10, 04:40 PM   #147
David K

Quote:
So is there any more information that might give me a clue as to where to start?

I love hot springs...

Yah, me too... We need to check out the hot springs up in the Sierra east of you!

Anyway, as far as the warm bubbling spring between Socorro and Rosario, this is all I have:

So, they walked from their beach camp beyond Socorro to the spring/ pool, and stopped early that day to make use of the opportunity to bathe... and below/ ahead of them they could see Rosario.

They walked El Camino Real and or the auto track which may have been right on ECR in that area. He mentioned the town was bi-passed by ECR... That would have been Rosario Abajo, but perhaps Arriba as well... since the first mission site is 1/2 mile east of Arriba (Espinoza's).

I fear if such a warm water pool was still there, it would have been developed. Unles a private rancho is on the site? Time for Google Earth!

Last edited by David K; 08-25-10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 05:08 PM   #148
BajaGringo

I know just the person down there to ask. I will be there week after next and see if I can't find any info. Sounds quite close to town if they could see the valley...

Old 08-26-10, 07:45 PM   #149
David K

Quote:
I know just the person down there to ask. I will be there week after next and see if I can't find any info. Sounds quite close to town if they could see the valley...
Great!
Old 08-26-10, 07:59 PM   #150
noproblemo

Hey David K just want to congratulate you on becoming a Grandpa.... Saw you posted it "over there".
Quote:
Great!
Old 08-27-10, 02:23 PM   #151
David K

Thank you!
Old 08-27-10, 03:55 PM   #152
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why?

Unlike noproblemo, I have to weigh in on the side of secrecy. Way to many wonderful and natural places have been over run just because word got out. Geez, David, as someone who has been hitting Baja since you were a tyke, you have to remember what happened to other beautiful spots. Cabo in the 70's, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMEPk6fvpg
Old 08-30-10, 08:51 AM   #153
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Unlike noproblemo, I have to weigh in on the side of secrecy. Way to many wonderful and natural places have been over run just because word got out. Geez, David, as someone who has been hitting Baja since you were a tyke, you have to remember what happened to other beautiful spots. Cabo in the 70's, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMEPk6fvpg
It wasn't publicity in books (or Internet, if it existed then) that 'spoiled' Cabo or other places in Baja... It was GOOD ROADS and Airports that bring 'anybody' and everybody there. Woody and some other surfers don't get it either... road details or photos of the Seven Sisters don't bring too many people there... it is the paved and graded roads being built into the area by the government that will. The area has been well mapped and road logged for 50 years, and it still has a coastline you could drive for two days along, and not see another American.

Bad Roads act as a filter... As Mama Espinoza said:"Bad Roads = Good People..."

If nothing were written about a place, people still will drive a road and see where it goes. All of us have found places in Baja we enjoy and makes life better for knowing... because we heard or read about it... or discovered it on our own. If all of us have been to the same place (and it sems that most of us who post have), we rarely if ever bump into each other in those remote places... I think it is safe to share nice places without fear of it becoming Cabo.
Old 08-30-10, 08:59 AM   #154
BajaGringo

Very true which is why I will be quite happy if they never pave the road out here in my lifetime...

Old 08-30-10, 10:10 AM   #155
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It wasn't publicity in books (or Internet, if it existed then) that 'spoiled' Cabo or other places in Baja... It was GOOD ROADS and Airports that bring 'anybody' and everybody there. Woody and some other surfers don't get it either... road details or photos of the Seven Sisters don't bring too many people there... it is the paved and graded roads being built into the area by the government that will. The area has been well mapped and road logged for 50 years, and it still has a coastline you could drive for two days along, and not see another American.

Bad Roads act as a filter... As Mama Espinoza said:"Bad Roads = Good People..."

If nothing were written about a place, people still will drive a road and see where it goes. All of us have found places in Baja we enjoy and makes life better for knowing... because we heard or read about it... or discovered it on our own. If all of us have been to the same place (and it sems that most of us who post have), we rarely if ever bump into each other in those remote places... I think it is safe to share nice places without fear of it becoming Cabo.
Ditto's..