Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Mike and Don-Kay nearing Baja Gringo's

Tonight we drove into town and picked up some dinner, refreshments and treats for Mike and his traveling party. Once we had stocked up we headed back down El Camino Real and after a few miles we found Don-Kay sans his load, eating some hay out in front of an abandoned old adobe home, about a mile north of the road that heads down to El Molino,

Mike had set up camp inside the place and everybody was ready for dinner when we rolled up. Cristina really enjoyed meeting Mike and his clan. We all shared a lot of laughs over dinner as Don-Kay really is full of "personality", wanting to stick his nose into everything including wanting to eat off everybody's plate!

We shared some stories along with a few more toasts but It was getting late. Mike and party needed to get some rest so we made a promise to cross paths again one day and parted with hugs.

Vaya con Dios Mike. We will be keeping you, Don-Kay and traveling companions in our thoughts and prayers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8925.jpg

Views:	63

Size:	900.7 KB

ID:	2200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8926.jpg

Views:	61

Size:	345.5 KB

ID:	2201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8927.jpg

Views:	59

Size:	751.8 KB

ID:	2202   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8928.jpg

Views:	63

Size:	649.9 KB

ID:	2203   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8929.jpg

Views:	67

Size:	573.6 KB

ID:	2204  

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Ron... would you be able to copy this and see if Mike thinks it is close... if he has been recording his mileage on a GPS maybe? Thanks!.....

MONTH 1 (OCT.) DISTANCE DATA (estimate)

Good Morning, as today is Nov. 1... and Mike began his walk with Don-Kay on Oct. 1, I thought I would estimate the miles he has walked in the first month.

I am using the AAA map as it has mileages on all the roads, and Mike has almost always been on or parallel to the roads. The mileage numbers are rounded up to the next whole number.

As you know, he has rested on a few days... so the total is an average for both the days walking and days not walking.

Oct. 1 - Oct. 7 = 39 miles
Oct. 8 - Oct. 14 = 48 miles
Oct. 15 - Oct. 21 = 61 miles
Oct. 22 - Oct. 28 = 49 miles
Oct. 29 - Oct. 31 = 22 miles

Total for October = 219 miles

Daily average = 7.06 miles.

The most miles in one day is approx. 14

Naturally, there could be much more walking than just the point to point distances on a map. Perhaps Mike is keeping a GPS log for each day's distance?

Good job Mike!

At this pace, he should be in the Seven Sisters region at the end of November (Punta Blanco to Santa Rosalillita) or beyond if his pace increases?

Maybe Bahia Asuncion to Punta Abreojos region by the end of November?

Just estimates, naturally!
DavidK - I shared your data with Mike and he said it looks about right. As far as projecting future progress it still is a guessing game. The pace setter is Don-Kay - he decides how fast and how far they go each day. Mike shared with me that when Don-Kay makes up his mind that he isn't going any farther, he isn't kidding....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8921.jpg

Views:	60

Size:	401.6 KB

ID:	2205  

wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update and pic's of all... what a trip...
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
... when Don-Kay makes up his mind that he isn't going any farther, he isn't kidding....
Can't imagine why...

You stay firm, Don-Kay!
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Can't imagine why...

You stay firm, Don-Kay!
Good point!

David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default NOV. 2

Mike and the gang advanced about 5 miles today and have set up camp on the older route of Mex. 1, just north of where the San Simon river washed it a out a couple times soon after the highway was paved in 1973. Hwy. 1 was re-routed up to the hillside to cross the river at a better location.

To continue viewing the daily progress of Mike, Don-Kay and the dogs, see the ongoing thread on BajaNomad.com: BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"
BajaGringo

He might have taken a side trip down to the Old Mill. Mike had mentioned to me that he was thinking about it. If so, that would mean that he actually walked a lot more than five miles although google shows that as his net gain...

BajaGringo

From BajaNomad...

Hi Guys and Gals,

wow what a great response. Having a wonderful time all is good with Don-Kay and Solo. I am staying at Baja's Best which is about the last restaurant hotel on the right as you are leaving El Rosario. What a great place, great food and the rooms are like something out of a travel magazine. Ed LUSK (the owner) was gracious enough to let me stay here a couple of days. Don-Kay is a couple of doors down grazing at Duffy's.

Graham tells me that there are some Nomads who would like to ask some questions so Ed has allowed me to use his Magic Jack and give out the number to you guys.

The number is 1-949-873-7814. I will be by the phone tomorrow morning from 9AM to 10AM. So if anyone wants to call I will be excited to talk and answer any questions you have.

I will be leaving El Rosario Tuesday morning and heading for the coast. I will be sending my daily SPOT signals but will have no other way of communicating. I have hidden supplies all down this area but will still be depending on fish camps for water for Don-Kay. Ed here at Bajas Best is going to a Ejido meeting tonite and will be letting them know I am coming. Hope one or two of them can bring in a little food for Don-Kay as there hasn't been much near the coast.

So thank you for all of the interest and caring it makes my trip seem so much more important. VIVA NOMADS.

Mike Younghusband, Don-Kay and Solo

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthre...=47853&page=14

wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Really neat .... and enjoying his trip .... used to hike the John Muir trail.. but, nothing along this scale... didn't have to worry about cars or trucks... just those pesky black bears.. hungry as our dog "Bear" or "trasher" as my son calls him..