Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 03-19-13, 09:34 AM   #21
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Santa Catarina Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
They are sold in La paz around July I know, and when you drive between the Los Frailes area and La Paz they are sold on the street anytime between Around June and Aug. I've never seen them for sale anywhere north of La paz though, would be nice to buy some in the summer within a few hours of San Diego. Even if we had to eat them down there.

-Roger
They were sold in fruit markets in Tijuana... just like any rare fruit, they are imported from the south... the season is limited and short, sadly!

I think seeing them sold in San Quintin during Thanksgiving week, was a rare late crop?
Old 03-19-13, 03:08 PM   #22
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Do they sell (baja california) Pitaya's in the summer in TJ? If so which markets? I would think there are plenty of them growing SE of San Quintin towards Catavina and BoLA, do the cactus around that area not have Pitayas? Do you actually have to go to Baja Sur to get fresh pitayas?

-Roger
Old 03-22-13, 08:16 AM   #23
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
Do they sell (baja california) Pitaya's in the summer in TJ? If so which markets? I would think there are plenty of them growing SE of San Quintin towards Catavina and BoLA, do the cactus around that area not have Pitayas? Do you actually have to go to Baja Sur to get fresh pitayas?

-Roger
Umm, see earlier posts, but to recap:
Yes,
Downtown fruit markets,
Pitaya agria grows in Baja CA Norte and yes they do have good fruit,
No (see my photos of them being sold in San Quintin) as they are sold in fruit markets in Tijuana.

Again, the season is short, so you either need to be there every week to check or just be lucky.