General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-05-11, 08:01 PM   #21
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Default Re: San Jose del Faro

Sadly it sounds like shes a loss. Probably all you can do is to get the gear and equipment off and let her go. Although.......if shes moving she may still be able to be floated out of there using the technique I outlined earlier.

Are there other holes? If the engine has gone under she can't be run, but might still be able to be saved. Is the anchor windlass electric or manual? The windlass is essential for pulling the boat out of the surf line.

I guess it comes down to whether there's insurance or not, of so, then they are money ahead to get their personal stuff off and let her go, if there's no insurance, then it may be time for heroics.
Old 01-05-11, 08:03 PM   #22
greatbigseas

greatbigseas is on a distinguished road

if there was a clear run, 4 inch diameter steel pipes, some timbers and a several steel wire rope to a team of 4x4 trucks might have got her above the normal tide line with some more bruising. But the beach is steep after that and traction for the trucks poor. I am sure that Paul and the ever-resourecful fishermen would have thought of the many options possible if even plausible. Ideas are encouraged nonetheless. The boat weighs 18 tons dry so she is heavy for a crew without the right gear. Indeed she is remote!
Old 01-05-11, 08:07 PM   #23
greatbigseas

she has a hydraulic windlass and engine is flooded. A passing harbour or offshore tug would have her off in an easy pull. Sadly the costs are too high and I have no idea about her hull integrity since two days ago. It can only be worse. Julie and Paul are working on her again today and would welcome any assistance and tools.
Old 01-05-11, 09:53 PM   #24
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

I would be very interested in what the insurance company does, aren't you? Is it even covered for something like this. How in the world is it investigated by the insurance company? Does a trip like this require special Mexican insurance coverage? It really looks like a totaled boat at this point. Unreal. Sad story!
Old 01-06-11, 03:36 PM   #25
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Wow - so sorry to hear about that. At least they are OK...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-08-11, 11:45 AM   #26
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbigseas
she has a hydraulic windlass and engine is flooded. A passing harbour or offshore tug would have her off in an easy pull. Sadly the costs are too high and I have no idea about her hull integrity since two days ago. It can only be worse. Julie and Paul are working on her again today and would welcome any assistance and tools.
Please keep us up-to-date... Thanks!
Old 01-08-11, 03:24 PM   #27
greatbigseas

Friends. There is no news to report as I wait for my sister to come out to the grid and log on. I'm sure they've spent a hard week on the coast, trying to get what they can off the boat, and healing their emotions and starting a new dream of their future. I can say this, people all up and down the Baja have been most helpful. Julie and Paul have received considerable support, including food, lodging, clothes, and transport to name but a few. And they are realistic. Although they lost their boat, and admittedly almost everything they own, they got off their boat with their lives. Both are resilient, self-reliant and fighters having experienced cancer, family tragedy and hard fought careers before retirement. I too am eager to hear from them. I have researched salvage options with experts and there are almost none given the circumstances. I expect that is crystal clear to Julie and Paul. I will keep you apprised.
John
Old 01-08-11, 05:29 PM   #28
BajaGringo

John - I really wish I could get down there to help them right now but it is currently impossible. I even tried calling down to the delegado at Cataviña this morning but have not been able to reach them. I will keep trying...

Old 01-12-11, 10:56 AM   #29
greatbigseas

The Mia remains hard aground and salvage of valuables is nearing completion. There is absolutely no hope of salvaging the hull in the opinion of the owners as the boat has been beaten hard by the surf and rocks, and has already lived 55 ears of solid ocean sailing. She has moved higher and dryer but is still well within reach of a winter storm to finish the destruction.

There are various forces at play in the recovery of valuables as one can imagine. With the aid of very helpful new friends and coast dwellers, two loads of materiel have been moved to a marina in Ensenada where Julie and Paul are regrouping.

There remains a final load of some heavier gear and Julie is wondering here if there is anybody willing to lend a hand with a heavy pickup, one-ton, cube van, or even a three tonne flatbed (overkill though). Julie understands its a long drive in to the coast from Catavina, but this is the final effort required for them to close the door on this part of their sailing life.

The final effort requires the transport of this last gear to Ensenada, but I suppose, thinking aloud, the gear need not be moved in one lift. Even a first load out to Catavina would be very helpful, and then Julie could work on a second lift. If there are any ideas on this notion, I wouldn't mind discussing it with you.

John
Old 01-12-11, 11:19 AM   #30
BajaGringo

Did they have a target date to accomplish this? Is this stuff that is still out at the beach? If so I would suggest we look for a one ton 4x4. A heavy load on those roads is asking for trouble.

Old 01-12-11, 05:13 PM   #31
greatbigseas

I think they would aim for something fairly soon so their storage welcome is not exceeded on the beach at San Jose. I would think they would be agreeable to this weekend. They would want to head in and head out in one shot. They are also agreeable to renting in Ensenada or Tijuana for that matter, but I have been checking this up and down on line and I have yet to find an agent that rents pickup trucks or even panel vans. Any ideas on this front would be helpful please,

John
Old 01-12-11, 05:48 PM   #32
BajaGringo

I am trying to find someone with a truck big enough that we dare take out to the beach there. Otherwise it would come down to making a couple of trips out to the highway where it could be transferred to other vehicles...

Old 03-28-11, 07:04 AM   #33
Margaret&Maggie

Margaret&Maggie is on a distinguished road

Goodness!

Okay, will someone please tell me how this closed? I find myself reminding heaven to remember everyone involved and having occurred months ago, now, doesn't really make any difference!

Thanks.
Old 03-28-11, 07:48 AM   #34
BajaGringo

I was thinking about them the other day when some friends headed down that way for some fishing. Would be nice to know...

Old 04-04-11, 04:00 AM   #35
greatbigseas

Thanks for your continued interest. A lot of very kind people helped my sister out during the crisis and afterwards when their emotions were at rock bottom. The Mia was salvaged for whatever could be removed, and the pickers did the rest. The surf continued to work the hull over real good, crushing ribs and hull.

I don't think Julie and Paul have returned to the site in over 6 weeks. They bought a Chevy van and have been travelling up and down the Baja meeting new friends, camping on the coast, and surveying possible boats to restore. Their dream of undertaking another major cruising voyage remains alive but they have yet find that special boat that is affordable, restorable, and seaworthy for offshore cruising.

If any of your friends head down the coast, the Mia had bumped south along the coast about a half mile from the cove, before working herself up to the higher, high tide line. It would be interesting to see a picture of her now.

John
Old 04-04-11, 07:54 AM   #36
BajaGringo

Thanks for the update. There are a couple of boats here in our area that might be worth looking at...

Old 04-04-11, 11:05 AM   #37
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Thank you John for the update...