Baja Hotels / Rentals / Bed & Breakfasts Forum Members Suggestions and Experiences on Places to Stay in Baja

Old 01-15-11, 09:49 PM   #21
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Re: La Paz journey

Longlegs, did you get my private message with my email? I was just looking through my message center thing and I did not see it there even though I shipped it to you. Let me know, please
Old 01-15-11, 10:47 PM   #22
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that while El Centenario isn't that far from La Paz, you have to drive all the way through town to get to the road to the beaches. (While some folks swim in the bay, it's generally not recommended, especially at the far end from the entrance.) You may not mind, but just sayin'. Otherwise, if you're OK with the security, #2 looks like a cute place. Judging by the reviews, other folks enjoyed staying there.

Legs, the owner of #1 doesn't look anything like the guy from the pool store, unless he gained about 50 lbs. since we saw him.
Old 01-16-11, 09:05 AM   #23
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Longlegs, did you get my private message with my email? I was just looking through my message center thing and I did not see it there even though I shipped it to you. Let me know, please
Got it!!! Did you look at "jump to:" center screen, up above your inbox & click on the drop-down arrow to get visibility of your Sent items?

Boy, you are getting excited! You could really make good use of a relaxing couple weeks in La Paz to practice your retirement tactics!!

PS Heading out soon for reconnaissance pics of area around #2....will e-m to you soon

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 01-16-11 at 09:13 AM. Reason: PS
Old 01-16-11, 12:49 PM   #24
longlegsinlapaz

#1The first 4 pics are not the casa itself....they're the common area palapa & pool serving all 4 homes in the complex....did you understand that? I'll send you a G/E map of location.
Old 01-16-11, 01:33 PM   #25
soulpatch

I would say numero dos is the front runner right now.
We'll see if Burt gets back to me with any his properties but I am going to put some money down soon.
One less detail to get nailed down.
Old 01-16-11, 10:23 PM   #26
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

OK
Old 01-17-11, 11:23 AM   #27
soulpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
OK
Bob...
Gotta remember. I am going to be raising my then 8 year old twins. Hell, if it wasn't for being a parent I'd probably head to Coiba.
We loved Mulege, too, just too small for our educational and lifestyle goals.
Me, I could live on a remote beach with a pair of flip flops, some raggedy-ass surf trunks a couple of boards and not much else (besides some cold beer).
BUT!, I have my wee ones and a stunningly lovely and sensible wife and they will assist me in not living the second half of my life in my basest form, which is a path I am very capable of skipping joyfully down.
Saludos hermano and if we cross paths southbound I'll throw a good 'gar your way.
Old 01-17-11, 11:28 AM   #28
soulpatch

Funniest thing,
The review section of the casita in Centenario I am looking at securing's review section, the very first review mentions that the property manager, Burt, is great....he seems to have things squared away down there.
Think I'm gonna jump unless I get talked down by the locals!
Old 01-17-11, 12:30 PM   #29
longlegsinlapaz

Bajabass is renting through Burt....if you don't hear back from Burt muy rapido, maybe BB could throw an old dead fish on Burt's front porch or something! Or let me know & I'll call him & tell him to check his e-mail.

You might also ask Burt if there is a washer/dryer....not listed on the amenities & something tells me that Mrs. Soulpatch might appreciate those trivial facilities....there are reasonable lavaderos where they wash, dry & fold in your absence....or there is Legz place....she doesn't fold & fluff though! Just kidding....but she DOES draw the line on ironing!
Old 01-17-11, 12:39 PM   #30
soulpatch

Think I may have to sleep on all this.....
My apologies for the public decision making process I am exposing all of you to.....
Old 01-18-11, 08:50 AM   #31
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Me, I could live on a remote beach with a pair of flip flops, some raggedy-ass surf trunks a couple of boards and not much else (besides some cold beer).
Once the kids are grown and out you can always start building the "next place" in a spot a bit more "remote". Maybe you could even turn your La Paz place into a rental to help finance all that beer!

Quote:
Think I may have to sleep on all this.....
My apologies for the public decision making process I am exposing all of you to.....
No apologies needed. You must know by now we are a nosy bunch around here...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-18-11, 09:06 AM   #32
soulpatch

Here is the latest in my telenovela.....
My wife wants to be close in town so we can do a lot of quick and easy walking and seeing the city she is wanting to potentially call home.
This would be cozy for us but the owner assures me there is plenty of parking for our boat, pet friendly, which means we would be out walking a lot which is good, and there is a washer and dryer......muy importante.
http://www.vrbo.com/328210#photos

Plus, the owners have offered a us a very good rate that is not too much more than the Centenario property.....

I can imagine the water at the beach probably gets more circulation here.

Ok, just thinking out loud, per se.....
Old 01-18-11, 09:59 AM   #33
kate

That would be just a few minutes' drive from Playa Coromuel and probably about 20 minutes from Balandra or Tecalote. Coromuel is a family beach with a water slide and other stuff for kids. I've taken my dog there but keep him on the extendable leash because of the small children. You could probably walk to downtown on the Malecon in 20 minutes or so? Hard to tell how far up on the hill it is. The condo looks very nice, and it's probably quiet up there.
Old 01-18-11, 10:31 AM   #34
soulpatch

Thanks,
I have to remind myself that I am promoting something here ( what could be the rest of my life!) and what is it they say????location, location, location.
My wife has her needs....I have to remind myself that I am the guy that can, and has, lived pretty much out of my truck at times.
Old 01-18-11, 11:11 AM   #35
longlegsinlapaz

Soulpatch, did you look at the map? I had to click on the "Condo Colina el Sol 'A' balloon" to get the map to display. It looks like you'll have to walk uphill 3-4 blocks to access a downhill route. AND it's not what I'd call "close in town"....it's actually several blocks from the outer edge of town. It'd be a helluva hoof for Mrs. Soulpatch & the little patchettes!!

For central location alone, the first place you posted would be a lot more centrally located & within much easier walking distance to in-town areas for short little legs. If you opt to drive everywhere, then this place looks great!

It does look like a very upscale place especially if the owners will give you comparable pricing to the little place in Centenario. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I don't want you to be blind-sided by how far it actually is from centro downtown. That's over 12 loooong blocks from 5 de Mayo. It is probably quieter, but also more planning required for walking the dog.

I know you're new to Google Earth, so I sent you a map that you can't navigate around, but the pin should show on this one!
Old 01-18-11, 11:16 AM   #36
kate

I also liked the first place you posted
La Paz Vacation Rental - VRBO 157133
which is closer to downtown for quick, easy walking purposes and just about as close to the beaches. It has secure parking. They don't specify a washing machine, but you could ask if there's something nearby. Hell, you could even use mine!
Old 01-18-11, 11:24 AM   #37
soulpatch

Yes, that would have been our first pic but the woman who owns it emailed me and said they will be occupying it at the time we are there.
Darn it!
Everything is going to be a compromise.....
The closer to centro you get the more money everything is. Kind of a balancing act.
Maybe something will fall out of the sky and into our laps!
Not likely, though, but I will hold off a few more days to see what develops before I put my money down..
Old 01-18-11, 11:32 AM   #38
longlegsinlapaz

Kate, I'm taking a "walk" on Google Earth to see if I can figure out what street that place is on, based on the corner view. If you're going to be taking a real walk to find it, tell me now & save me from going Googley eyed!!!

Oh, never mind.....cross posting, thanks for that SP, now I don't have to walk the Malecon on G/E!
Old 01-18-11, 03:48 PM   #39
kate

Quote:
Everything is going to be a compromise.....
The closer to centro you get the more money everything is. Kind of a balancing act.
Also, the closer to centro you get, the less likelihood of finding a short-term rental that's kid-friendly and pet-friendly with secure parking for a car and a boat. The Colina del Sol condo looks like a sweet deal in that respect. Keep in mind that it's just a few minutes from downtown driving. Nearly all the area in between is nice middle-class residential, so you can park closer on a side street while you're walking around in El Centro.
Old 01-18-11, 05:14 PM   #40
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

I just sent Soulpatch a message saying about the same thing Kate. They might not be able to walk everywhere from the condo, but it will only take a few minutes drive to go out for ice cream in the evening for example, and they could easily get down the malecon.

I think having a view, whether it's Centenario or the condo will help with the "impression". and give a better feel for the place. They can visit the older, quaint part of the city and go on day trips, then go back and take in the views and and the breezes say, "wow, this place is cool". Somewhere with a view of sunrises/sunsets will score a lot of points.