Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 04-07-11, 05:46 AM   #21
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: More banking/ who do you use?

Now you are starting to get how things work down here...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-08-11, 12:09 AM   #22
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Actually I responded on your other thread with way too many details of how I set up our money handling down here. Thank goodness Marty said, uuhhh you ding dong, you might not want to reveal so much on the internet so I deleted the message. I'll write you a pm Soulpatch.

Longlegs is correct- we haven't been reading or writing much since construction began.
Old 04-08-11, 08:00 AM   #23
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oladulce
...we haven't been reading or writing much since construction began.
Somebody owes us a new construction thread...

Old 04-08-11, 09:04 AM   #24
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Naw.....they can just start using the one they already opened....continuity is good! Oh GAWD!! Did ya have to remind me that I'm dragging my feet on an update on mine?

And Marty, I'm shocked!!!! You called Ola a ding dong?!?! A public apology & extreme & lengthy groveling is required!
Old 04-08-11, 09:13 AM   #25
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

No, Legz, he didn't. She paraphrased in a self deprecating way. You can go back to your nap now.
Old 04-08-11, 11:08 AM   #26
longlegsinlapaz

I knew that....so much for failed humor.

Sorry Marty! Was jist

ZZZZZZ
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 04-08-11, 08:03 PM   #27
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

OK, I am now a proud member of CitiBank which allows me Banamex access with all the bells and whistles and also California Bank/Trust which is a "smaller" B+ rated bank.
Citibank also carries what is left of what is left of my wife's student loans from way back when .....Oxford.......Salamanca......USD.....
What the hell is she doing with a highschool dropout that has been paying rent since he was 15?
Talk a about an open door for a thread morph!
Old 04-08-11, 08:50 PM   #28
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
OK, I am now a proud member of CitiBank...
Old 04-09-11, 10:47 AM   #29
BajaGringo

Quote:
Nah, we never do that around here...

Old 04-09-11, 12:40 PM   #30
Marty Cortez

It's our stealth data-hiding/dementia/short-term memory check system...

if you don't remember what is in a thread from reading it, you'll never find it looking from the thread titles.

Old 04-09-11, 05:05 PM   #31
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
...you'll never find it looking from the thread titles.
Thread titles? You mean there is supposed to be a relation???

Old 07-13-11, 12:04 PM   #32
jimtrethewey

jimtrethewey is on a distinguished road

I also use BBVA: both Bancomer and Compass, which appear to be only loosly associated.

Locally, I have the Peso Checking and Dollar Savings accounts, with online banking and the ability to buy/sell pesos/dollars between the two accounts. And ATM card. BBVA Bancomer holds the fideicomiso on my home in CSL. I can go to any branch ("sucursal"), but typically go to the one ("Arcos del Sol") next to the Chedraui, since I tend to shop for groceries there more than anywhere else. As a gringo account-holder, I get to stand in the "preferred customer" line. Monthly charges seem to be about MN$27.

The BBVA Compass account (Laredo, TX) holds the mortgage on my home in CSL. I have online banking there too. I make sure my monthly mortgage payment shows up in this account, and they automatically deduct on about the 18th.

There doesn't appear to be any magical benefit between the two BBVA's (like, free foreign wire transfers would have been nice!).
Old 07-13-11, 06:58 PM   #33
mycomitan

mycomitan is on a distinguished road

Good choice!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-11, 11:19 AM   #34
jimtrethewey

jimtrethewey is on a distinguished road

Update.
I met with Gabriella who is head of BBVA Bancomer's Preferred Customer Services.
She said that customers of BBVA Compass can do foreign wire transfer to BBVA Bancomer accounts for $5.
Not free, but that's pretty good compared to the $40 a whack I've been paying from my US credit union.
Old 12-07-11, 02:33 PM   #35
fjack1588

fjack1588 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Scotiabank Inverlat
Banamex/Citibank
Bancomer
HSBC
Banco Santander Mexicano
Banorte

I have seen these banks more than others on my travels throughout Mexico although I have seen with the Monterey logo at some points but I can't remember where.
If you are willing to part with the info I would love to know which, if any, you all use and if your experiences have been generally positive as far as simple checking/debit accounts go.

I am inquiring right now with Bancomer..well, not this very second..... about setting up an online account. It appears FM3 payments can be made online and a few other good services.

Anyway, nothing speaks like the voice of experience so if you are willing I'd love to hear it.
I have been with Santander in Puerto Vallarta for four years. Managed to get a checking account w/o FM3 but needed it to enroll in bank serivces like bill pay and transfers. For this you get a free electronic gizmo that generates unique PIN numbers. I have been sending down money from BOA via their "Safe Send" program that they have with a number of banks in Mexico, Santander among them. You get to transfer max 1500 USD per transfer free of charge and max 3000 USD per 30 days at just a little short of the going exchange rate. E.g. I just got @13.3 for @13.45 as per XE. This has been fine until recently when I wanted to wire tansfer a larger amount and found that for this I would need to fill out a form in US branch and pay 20 bucks for a PIN Gizmo. Well I am here in Mexico and even so I would not pay for a gizmo I would use but rarely. My other band ING Direct does not do international wire transfers. Any suggestions? Like some others I have a Chase CC and a Mortgage account that was taken over by Chase from WAMU.
Old 12-07-11, 03:58 PM   #36
longlegsinlapaz

fjack1588....the only workaround I can think of is if you have your checkbook with you....write a Chase check, deposit it in your Santander account....one potential major drawback is Santander will not release any of those funds until your check clears....quite possibly 14-21 days....my Bancomer is still quoting a 21-days for a USA deposited check to clear....even in the age of electronic banking!

One other possibility is if you happen to have a co-signature person on your account, who isn't with you in Mexico, they could initiate a wire transfer tor you.

Don't put it on your Chase CC....I learned the hard way, they charge a % of the amount of the charge & IMO it's a high %....a $1,200 USD equivalent charge incurred a $40-something International Usage Fee!!!
Old 12-07-11, 05:36 PM   #37
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
...Chase...it's a high %...
Old 12-07-11, 06:28 PM   #38
JESSE

JESSE is on a distinguished road

Bancomer here.
Old 12-07-11, 08:23 PM   #39
Scott C

Scott C is on a distinguished road

We use Bancomer but our atm keeps getting restricted. We really like our HSBC online account with low fees
Old 12-08-11, 09:06 AM   #40
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
....write a Chase check, deposit it in your Santander account....one potential major drawback is Santander will not release any of those funds until your check clears....quite possibly 14-21 days....my Bancomer is still quoting a 21-days for a USA deposited check to clear....even in the age of electronic banking! :
Have been using Bancomer in Loreto for past several years. The branch manager, Orlando, speaks perfect English and is always very helpful, greets us when we enter etc. During our construction project two years ago, we often wired large amounts of money to our account at Bancomer - funds cleared in two days. When I deposited a personal check from my US B of A account, it never took more than 7 days to clear, sometimes less. Wiring from B of A does not always get the best exchange rate as they decide what rate to give you and it is typically 0.3 - 0.5 pesos less than the published rates. I also like the on line capabilities of Bancomer including the security systems. We pay bills with it and transfer between accounts easily. They even have an English speaking "Help line". I don't use the "Perferred Customer" line as I don't like to appear to the locals like I'm "better" than they are. Overall, Mexican banking seems to be one of the better run business ventures in the country.