Baja Real Estate Property for sale and rentals

Old 08-05-11, 10:14 AM   #41
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Punta Banda - Let's Trade Houses (New Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Why now? I have a few theories but nothing I would bet the farm on...
I think people are just tired of being cooped up.
Arn't you seeing a lot more Baja plates on the road, Ron? Lots of them here, escaping the border town heat.
Old 08-05-11, 01:40 PM   #42
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I think people are just tired of being cooped up.
Arn't you seeing a lot more Baja plates on the road, Ron? Lots of them here, escaping the border town heat.
Since I bought out here almost four years ago we have always seen a lot of Baja plates - especially on weekends. This area is a very popular spot for locals wanting to escape the heat on the other side of the volcanoes and grab some oysters, clams or just some good old surf fishing. San Quintin can get quite hot in summer and the huge temperature drop on this side of the rock is welcome relief.

What we didn't see before were many plates from NOB, except perhaps for the normal holiday weekends. That seems to be changing of late; even my neighbors here have noticed and commented.

A few are blaming me...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-05-11, 03:44 PM   #43
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

In the past 1-2 years, I've noticed a great increase in Mexican mailnad plates on the highway. But cannot report that NOB plates have increased.

We used to marvel at the number of US plates on the road, as we drove down to Cabo. Past couple of years, not so much.

Perhaps Ron has more up to date anecdotal evidence. It certainly would be good for Baja.
Old 08-05-11, 05:10 PM   #44
BajaGringo

On the highways I haven't seen any increases in NOB plates but I would agree that there is more local tourism hitting what used to be primarily Gringo popular stops. Friends working in Rosarito and Ensenada all confirm this.

What is happening out here is that we are seeing a higher percentage of the NOB plates than we ever did before, and not just on holiday weekends. I was down at our base camp today where the guys are building our new entrance and watched the passing traffic. In less than two hours I counted nearly a dozen cars/trucks/SUV's that were obviously from NOB. We didn't use to see that many in an entire day

I keep thinking somebody must have posted a sign somewhere but I just haven't seen it yet...

Old 08-06-11, 03:09 PM   #45
Bajahowodd

Except for the Rosarito/ Ensenada part of that statement, I would venture a guess that folks from NOB just want to get beyond the border violence. Especially since anyone with half a brain realizes that much of Mexico, and most of Baja is comparatively safe versus the cartel issues.

For me, personally, I've never felt anything other than safe from Ensenada- South. It has really saddened me to have witnessed the precipitous drop in NOB tourism to Ensenada over the last few years. For Gringos, Ensenada offers a great weekend destination, including the wine country.
Old 08-07-11, 05:00 PM   #46
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
For me, personally, I've never felt anything other than safe from Ensenada- South. It has really saddened me to have witnessed the precipitous drop in NOB tourism to Ensenada over the last few years. For Gringos, Ensenada offers a great weekend destination, including the wine country.
It isn't just the crime. Who wants to sit at the border for three hours....on a good day. Working folks have Saturday and Sunday off so that's what they're stuck with.

The economy hasn't helped much either.
Old 08-08-11, 08:24 AM   #47
BajaGringo

The border wait is becoming a bigger problem. A friend spent over four hours in line at San Ysidro weekend before last.

Old 08-08-11, 08:39 AM   #48
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

I'd pay someone to be able to pull up in the evening, crawl into the camper and sleep until someone towed/drove me to the front of the line.

Come to think of it, the driver makes the most sense. Instead of having to drive the tow vehicle across, he just gets out and walks back to dispatch.

Our system would put 5 times as much effort into screwing up that idea as it would improving the wait.
Old 08-08-11, 09:22 AM   #49
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Angry Re: Punta Banda - Let's Trade Houses (New Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
I'd pay someone to be able to pull up in the evening, crawl into the camper and sleep until someone towed/drove me to the front of the line.

Come to think of it, the driver makes the most sense. Instead of having to drive the tow vehicle across, he just gets out and walks back to dispatch.

Our system would put 5 times as much effort into screwing up that idea as it would improving the wait.

many times while waiting at Tecate we see a vehicle drive up in the oposing lane get out and excange with a driver in the line.

when we go up we usually take the rv so its a guranteed trip to secondary. Last time we sat in the rv for 45min. after waiting in line for almost a hour. It really takes the enjoyment out of the trip.
Old 08-08-11, 09:42 AM   #50
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
...Last time we sat in the rv for 45min. after waiting in line for almost a hour. It really takes the enjoyment out of the trip.
What day/time of the week was that?

Old 08-08-11, 09:44 AM   #51
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
The border wait is becoming a bigger problem. A friend spent over four hours in line at San Ysidro weekend before last.
It is my belief that if you spend ANY time in Baja and cross the border N/B more than two or three times a year, SENTRI pays for itself in crossing time.
Old 08-08-11, 09:58 AM   #52
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
It is my belief that if you spend ANY time in Baja and cross the border N/B more than two or three times a year, SENTRI pays for itself in crossing time.
I agree - this is a guy that just comes down once, maybe twice a year at most. After this experience it will probably be awhile...

Old 08-08-11, 11:10 AM   #53
Nighttrain

Nighttrain is on a distinguished road

It took us one long wait to scream, "I'd pay a hundred bucks to get out of the f%#*ing mess!" That was our last pre-SENTRI experience with the border.
Old 08-08-11, 01:18 PM   #54
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

In 1993 we ran the "guanlet" ... it was the first time back to Baja since around 1970..

Before we came down for a year or so stay ... we got the SENTRI for the car ... and later added another ...

Must agree.. the SENTRI is the only way to go.... feel for those with RV's ... well at least your comfortable while ya wait ...... I would hope
Old 08-08-11, 03:14 PM   #55
Bajahowodd

I've always considered myself to be on the cusp as far as SENTRI is concerned. We used to make the trip on average of eight to ten times a year. We have cut back to maybe 6 times. And frankly, it's not just the money, but the bureaucratic paperwork thing. Inasmuch as this must be renewed yearly, Morro Bay and Cambria look more attractive!

But, the idiotic crackdown at the border combines with the passport requirement to have really stuck a knife in the heart of weekend tourism to Baja.

Anyone have any idea how much casual, extemporaneous border crossing by convention visitors and other tourists to San Diego has been lost?