Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 08-17-11, 06:45 PM   #21
Loboron

Loboron is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hola from Ensenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Teniente, if it's on the site, I missed it....what's bulb life & filter life?? I found replacement parts costs, but not life expectancy.

The life of the UV lamp is one year... they actually quote the number of hours ( I don't recall the number) but it's just short of one year. I change mine each year. The filter change depends on how dirty the water is; the two filters- the first one is for dirt and other particles, the second is a carbon filter for taste and odor. Here in Ensenada I used to have to change them once a month the water was so bad. This past year I've only had to change them every 3-4 months. Ensenada apparently has cleaned up the city water, at least in our area.

We drink from the tap througout the house and the icemakers put out nice and clear ice cubes.

Ron
Old 08-17-11, 09:14 PM   #22
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your actual usage information. No wonder they have case pricing on the filters!!
Old 08-17-11, 11:46 PM   #23
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

That 1000 model seems like the biz....Can't wait till I have a place I can use one......maybe my place in BOLA.....
I think I need a partner in my place.
Old 08-18-11, 08:04 AM   #24
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Teniente, if it's on the site, I missed it....what's bulb life & filter life?? I found replacement parts costs, but not life expectancy.

Leggz...........sorry for the late reply. We have been busy with wine festival events. Also had to go to COSTCO to check on replacement livers, think I'm gonna need new one.

Ron is the source of all info regarding the Waterfixer. The system works great and the extra pre-filter I put in helps reduce the amount of sediment entering the system.

When I bought the system, I also purchased 2 sets of replacement filters and one extra UV tube. We unplug the system whenever we are away from the house for extended periods of time.

I'm not sure if we get Ensenada "city" water here on the golf course, as they have their own wells. Have been using the water for about 6 years now without any problems.
Old 08-18-11, 09:42 AM   #25
longlegsinlapaz

Thanks Teniente....I know water quality plays a large role in filter life, as would water usage....I feel I'm fairly conservative in my water usage....my 12-year historical average works out to be 10K liters every 4-5 weeks. My saying I believe my usage is fairly conservative is a trigger for someone even more so to come along & post a lower usage! Any idea of frequency of filter changes based on volume of water usage? What did you use for your pre-filter?

Ya shoulda taken your filter system with ya to the Wine Festival!

I'm thinking if I were to put pre-filter & the 1000 filters in line between the cistern & my water pressure holding tank, I could extend the life expectancy of both my water pressure holding tank and my water heater.

Loboron, I also drink, cook & make ice from my peepa filled cistern; don't buy purified water. Because it's chlorinated, my pool is probably the highest quality of water at my casa! Since I pulled the intake up a few inches off the bottom of my cistern, I'm getting a lot less sand in my shower head & sink filters! But if I leave ice in a glass to melt, I look at the murky sediment remains & think "OH YUCK!! I'm drinking that!" So I think it's time to clean up my water quality.
Old 08-18-11, 10:49 AM   #26
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Legz.........

GXWH04F | GE® Household Pre-Filtration System | GE Appliances

Mine has a clear Lexan bowl, so I can see the filter change from pristine white to ugly brown. I change this filter once a month, checked my Waterfixer pleated paper filter and it's still clean.

Purchased the GE unit at Home Depot
Old 08-18-11, 11:09 AM   #27
Loboron

Loboron is on a distinguished road

Legs-

Based on the information you just supplied and you had a Water Fixer 1000, you'd be changing filters every six months or longer. Having the UV is the most important feature of the system. It removes 99.9% of all bacteria which in my opinion is the best feature. Even if you observed a little settlement you'd have piece of mind knowing you wouldn't get sick from it.

With regards to extending the life of the waterheater, washing machine, etc. You're correct, when I purchased our home here, the first thing I installed was the WaterFixer, the second was purchasing a new water heater and we still have that same heater installed and it looks like new. No rust or corrosion around the base. Another test to check how dirty the water is, is to remove the tank top from a toilet and look and see how much sand or grit is on the bottom of the tank. Ours are clean.

I don't sell or recieve a commission, just sharing some good information to make life a little easier around the house. The cost of a Waterfixer model1000 is around $450.00 and the cost of replacement filters. One is the pre-treatment and the other is the Carbon/Charcoal for taste and odor as I mentioned.
Old 08-18-11, 01:41 PM   #28
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Thanks some great pratical knowledge ... on this .... thanks for sharing it all helps
Old 08-18-11, 03:32 PM   #29
longlegsinlapaz

Loboron, muchas gracias for all your information!! Teniente, you too, you wino you!