Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Nighttrain

Nighttrain is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked

I hope Ron and Cristina recover fully and quickly, and will soon have the opportunity to appreciate the outpouring of genuine feeling expressed on this board. I hope with equal fervor that we limit ourselves to those expressions and refrain from trying to interject ourselves into this situation. Frankly, I'm a little appalled by the posturing that is going on the Nomads board, including the offer to set up some hokey emergency messaging system for a mere $25 setup fee.

This is the time to give voice to our sadness, to pray for Ron and Cristina (if you're given to praying), and to hope.
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

"...9-11-2011 at 10:48 PM(GMT; 3:48PM local)

The family member I heard back from indicated this: "I talk to his doctor and I'm on my way to the hospital I'll be there in 2-3 hours"

That was an hour ago.

She just sent me another message *just now* stating:

"My dad opened his eyes""

BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"

Many wonderful people offering all the help they can at Nomad.
deportes

deportes is on a distinguished road

Can't believe it! Let's all pray for there recovery!
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

From the Baja Nomad Board:

"Ok...Here's the scoop

I just spoke directly with Christine, Ron's daughter, over the phone, her husband and her are at the hospital.
She told me that both Ron and Cristina are stable and doing much better, Ron did need a blood transfusion but it was only 2 bags, the lady at the desk told me that she would let me know tomorrow if they needed more so we could arrange a donor in order to give them a discount for the final bill.
At this moment they will NOT be moving them, it's a waiting period and the doctors are doing everything they can.
Ron's swelling did go down, so that's great news.

Christine and her husband have already checked in to a hotel but send their thanks to everyone who has been looking out.
I'll check in with her again tomorrow and probably go see hwo they are doing and bring them some food and a computer so that she can let everyone back home know what's up.

She does have my cell number in case they need anything, but she speaks perfect spanish so shes doing great in arranging everything.

Big thanks to all the nomads who pulled together for this effort, I'm super proud to be a part of this family and I feel great being able to help even if it's just a little and knowing that if it were me or my family in a bad position you would all do the same to help us.

I'll let you know if there are any developments, but for now I'm going to relax for the first time all day and have a cup of nice hot tea."
-Sirenita

Last edited by Marty Cortez; 09-17-11 at 10:58 AM. Reason: attribution
angels4

angels4 is on a distinguished road

Ron and Cristina have been in our prayers. He has been a family friend for many years and our entire family is devastated. Last month we spent time with Ron and Cristina and he shared all his dreams and excitement about the house. He showed us all the work he had put in to it. We bought the property next to him. We were so excited about the fact that we were going to be neighbors one day. My heart is brokent to know that a month later him and Cristina are going through this terrible ordeal. As I walked throught the little town and talked to the fishermen they all knew and cared deeply for Ron. Yes, things in Mexico have been bad, but this is a peaceful town with amazing people who embraced Ron and my brother-in-Law. Both of these amazing men loved their paradize and have been friends for many years. I pray that all three of them and the entire town recover from this tragedy. May God heal them physically, spirtitually and emotionally. They both didn't deserve for these animals to do what they did.
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
This is horrible.

Dennis, just scratching for ideas here, can the US Consulate in TJ step in and get him to the VA in San Diego?

Sorry.....I lost track of this.
Anyway....the US Consulate is famous for doing nothing. They seem to be down here only for business concerns.
By now, all must know that sufficient resources are in place to do what's needed, but at the moment that seems to be time.
Today will shed a lot of light on everything.
Marty Cortez

I sure hope so.

Sanatorio Del Carmen where Ron is currently; Hospital General where Cristina is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carmen1.JPG

Views:	53

Size:	77.8 KB

ID:	2900   Click image for larger version

Name:	carmen2.JPG

Views:	50

Size:	275.4 KB

ID:	2906   Click image for larger version

Name:	HospitalGeneral.JPG

Views:	50

Size:	172.9 KB

ID:	2907   Click image for larger version

Name:	HospitalGeneral2.JPG

Views:	52

Size:	47.1 KB

ID:	2908  
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
I sure hope so.

Sanatorio Del Carmen where Ron is currently; Hospital General Zona 8 where Cristina is.
I think that's the wrong General Hospital. The correct facility is south on HWY-1, same road as the place in the foto, and about a half mile before WalMart, same side of the street.
Marty Cortez

Thanks Dennis; it was the only "General" returned in online searches.

I'll delete and continue searching. In the meantime a report from lizard lips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lipsreport.JPG

Views:	48

Size:	108.1 KB

ID:	2904  
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Thanks Dennis; it was the only "General" returned in online searches.
Eeees Meseeco, Martin. One out of two ain't bad.
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

I am missing something here, probably my ignorance. Three people, Broyher-in-law? were there three people injured. and does anybody really know what happened, how they were found? Who actually did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels4
Ron and Cristina have been in our prayers. He has been a family friend for many years and our entire family is devastated. Last month we spent time with Ron and Cristina and he shared all his dreams and excitement about the house. He showed us all the work he had put in to it. We bought the property next to him. We were so excited about the fact that we were going to be neighbors one day. My heart is brokent to know that a month later him and Cristina are going through this terrible ordeal. As I walked throught the little town and talked to the fishermen they all knew and cared deeply for Ron. Yes, things in Mexico have been bad, but this is a peaceful town with amazing people who embraced Ron and my brother-in-Law. Both of these amazing men loved their paradize and have been friends for many years. I pray that all three of them and the entire town recover from this tragedy. May God heal them physically, spirtitually and emotionally. They both didn't deserve for these animals to do what they did.
Marty Cortez

I was missing that too; until you pointed it out and I read it again.

I am beyond flummoxed. Gonna go read the Mexican news/keep updating Nomad in hopes of more info.
Marty Cortez

Roban automóvil a estadounidenses | El Vigía

POLICIACA
Roban automóvil a estadounidenses

Por El Valle, Enrique Rojas
12.09.2011 - 12:00

Agentes municipales de San Quintín recuperaron el vehículo, pero no hubo detenidos.

San Quintín, B. C. - Al filo de las 17:30 horas del pasado sábado, un ciudadano estadounidense y su cónyuge fueron agredidos por un grupo de personas de sexo masculino, quienes los despojaron de su vehículo, el cual se recuperó poco después.
El hecho ocurrió en el sitio conocido como La Chorera, en la Bahía de San Quintín, donde los presuntos delincuentes, al parecer tres hombres, se llevaron una vagoneta, modelo reciente y con placas de circulación estadounidenses.
Al recibir el reporte correspondiente, efectuado desde el mencionado sitio, una patrulla con agentes de la Policía Municipal se trasladó hacia allá, mientras que otra más se dedicó a la búsqueda de los malhechores.
Al llegar a La Chorera, los uniformados de la primera unidad solicitaron la presencia de una ambulancia, acudiendo la 215 de la Cruz Roja, para la atención del extranjero lesionado.
Esta persona fue llevada al hospital rural IMSS-Oportunidades (HRO-69) para la atención médica correspondiente.
La segunda unidad policial ubicó al vehículo reportado sobre la calle Manuel Castañeda, de la colonia Benito García. Al proceder a interceptarlo, sus ocupantes, tres personas de sexo masculino, se dieron a la fuga pie a tierra.
Se informó que dos de ellos fueron asegurados, aunque no se registraron, inicialmente, sus nombres.
En la playa se informó que la cónyuge del estadounidense lesionado, del mismo origen, se hallaba extraviada, por lo que personas que estaban en el lugar se sumaron a su búsqueda.
Minutos después fue localizada en el área. Del lado derecho del cuello presentaba una herida provocada por arma blanca, de unas dos pulgadas. A bordo de un carro particular fue llevada al mismo nosocomio.

English; sort of. I'll clean it up in a minute.
Google Translate

U.S. car stolen

In El Valle , Enrique Rojas
12.09.2011 - 12:00

San Quentin municipal officers recovered the vehicle, but no arrests were made.

San Quintin, BC - At 5:30 pm sharp last Saturday, a U.S. citizen and his spouse were assaulted by a group of male persons and robbed of their vehicle, which was recovered shortly after.

The incident occurred at the site known as La Chorera in the Bay of San Quintin, where the suspects made off with a late model wagon bearing U.S. license plates.

Upon receiving a report from there, a City Police patrol responded, while another one was dispatched to search for the perpetrators.

Arriving at La Chorera, the first unit called for an ambulance; Red Cross unit #215 responded to aid the injured American.

He was taken to the rural hospital IMSS-Oportunidades (HRO-69) for medical attention.

The second police unit spotted the stolen vehicle on Manuel Castaneda street in the Garcia Benito neighborhood. When police stopped it, three males fled on foot.

It was reported that two of them were captured, but police have not released their names.

Meanwhile on the beach the spouse of the injured American was missing, and people there went to look for her.

Minutes later she was located with a wound about two inches long on the right side of her neck caused by a knife. She was taken by private car to the same hospital.
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

For anyone here not also viewing the latest info posted on BajaNomad.com, Astrobaja posted this about 20 min. ago:

posted on 9-12-2011 at 01:51 PM

Roberto and all, Ok I can corroborate the story Ferna got. Just talked to Caty via viber (iphone app) and yes he has had an MRI and he has no blood clots. They were trying to take out his breathing tube but he was struggling a bit. He also has a broken jaw. Caty got all this talking to Christina and her husband. Cristina was NOT cut in the throat as the story was told in the papaer (and what I heard from Chava) but they tried to strangle her! So both are improving by leaps and bounds!!
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Great news...
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Posted by 'Sirenita' on Baja Nomad just minutes ago:

posted on 9-12-2011 at 02:39 PM

Hey everyone, I just talked to Christine on the phone a few minutes ago and can also corroborate the stories posted above.

Cristina is awake and talking, christine was with her for a couple of hours this morning, they will be releasing her from the hospital in the next couple of days.

As far as Ron is concerned he did get an MRI and there were no blood clots, trauma's or anything else that was immediately life threatening. The only swelling he has is due to the blow's he took to the head, but other than that he is stable and they are in the process of taking the breathing apparatus out. He is still sedated tho.

Neither Cristina or Ron will be moved, for a few different reasons, Christine did tell me that the doctors are treating them both very well, Ron has 24/7 doctor surveillance and is getting all the attention he needs. She sounded confident that the doctors at Del Carmen are doing a great job, which gave me some peace of mind.

She also told me she would continue to update me as far as their status goes through FB or phone.
Christine also expressed extreme gratitude towards the funds that have been raised as the bill for the hospital is pretty darn high (about 5k so far), she is heading back to the U.S. to check her father's finances in case they need more.

I'll keep updating you all as I get more news, I'll head over to the hospital in a little bit to see if I can get any more info but I doubt it.

This has been one heck of a ride, but thank God all of our efforts and prayers are working and both Ron and his wife are getting better.
Keep them in your prayers and thanks to everyone for pulling together this mass effort!
Marty Cortez

Thank you, Lord.
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Now, whom and what happens to the culprits??????
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Gawd! I've been travelling for the past four days. And when I do, I usually stay off the internet on purpose.

Holy crap! I consider Ron a friend. We have talked extensively about his early years in Southern California, and Garden Grove, in specific. He's a very warm and engaging fellow.

Don't know just why, but when I went on the Nomad board for this topic, it appeared posting was closed.

I really dunno what to say. One observation might be that he and Cristina chose to live in a very remote area. Despite the fact that Ron is well known throughout the San Quintin area as an absolute plus to their region, the remoteness of his property certainly appeared to be attractive to some very nasty bastards.

I hope both Ron and Cristina totally recover from this tragedy.

I also hope that the perperators will be apprehended and the reason for their horrible actions will be revealed.

It wasn't much more than last week, when he posted on a thread to a newbie that he felt safe, so far from the border in San Quintin.

Holy crap!