Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 09-12-11, 04:49 PM   #41
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Gawd! I've been travelling for the past four days. And when I do, I usually stay off the internet on purpose.

Holy crap! I consider Ron a friend. We have talked extensively about his early years in Southern California, and Garden Grove, in specific. He's a very warm and engaging fellow.

Don't know just why, but when I went on the Nomad board for this topic, it appeared posting was closed.

I really dunno what to say. One observation might be that he and Cristina chose to live in a very remote area. Despite the fact that Ron is well known throughout the San Quintin area as an absolute plus to their region, the remoteness of his property certainly appeared to be attractive to some very nasty bastards.

I hope both Ron and Cristina totally recover from this tragedy.

I also hope that the perperators will be apprehended and the reason for their horrible actions will be revealed.

It wasn't much more than last week, when he posted on a thread to a newbie that he felt safe, so far from the border in San Quintin.

Holy crap!
Posting is not closed... ongoing with 456 replies so far: BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"
Old 09-12-11, 05:47 PM   #42
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez

Thank you, Lord.
Amen.
Old 09-12-11, 09:18 PM   #43
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Very concerned with the conflicting reports. Times are Greenwich Mean Time; local here is minus 7.

Lizard Lips' post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ll2.JPG

Views:	66

Size:	93.3 KB

ID:	2909  
Old 09-13-11, 04:15 AM   #44
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Me too. I'm with oladulce on this.

Frustrating.

Let's not unfold our hands, yet.
Old 09-13-11, 03:18 PM   #45
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

From Ron's facebook ... Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 09-13-11, 04:42 PM   #46
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Article from a San Diego news website (also posted on BajaNomad):
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...n-san-quintin/
Old 09-13-11, 04:57 PM   #47
Marty Cortez

I'm not going to post those thugs' visages here, for obvious reasons.

According to posts on Nomad, Carol at Discover Baja has graciously agreed to collect and forward funds on Ron and Cristina's behalf.

There is still discussion that either Ron's daughter Christine or Fernando Garcia(fdt here and on Nomad) might accomplish that as well.
Old 09-13-11, 06:11 PM   #48
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Sign On San Diego by Sandra Dibble

U.S. expat and wife beaten in San Quintin | SignOnSanDiego.com

An American citizen living in the Baja California community of San Quintin was severely beaten, along with his wife, on Saturday after he tried to stop a crime in progress near his house, the Baja California Attorney General’s Office reported.

Ron Hoff and Cristina Montes Monjo were being treated on Tuesday at separate hospitals in Ensenada for injuries sustained near their residence in the outskirts of this farming and fishing community located about 180 miles south of the border.

News of the incident has resounded across the expatriate community. Since moving to Baja California in 2003, Hoff, a 54-year-old freelance web designer and Long Beach native, has become known through his message board, bajatalk.com: The Leading Baja Talk Site on the Net and website, Gringo Living in Baja California, Mexico. He has written lovingly about Baja California, praising the kindness and warmth of its residents.

“This is a guy who really walks the talk as far as helping people down there,” said Doug Means, owner and administrator of another message board, Baja Nomad - Taking You Back to Baja!, whose members have been intensely following the developments in the case. “That’s why there are so many people who are very involved.”

Three suspects were in custody in connection with the incident: Jesus Humberto Aguirre Montes, 24, Jose Luis Quintero Montes, 24, and Edgar Gerardo Quintero Montes, 21. They face charges of attempted murder and car theft, aggravated by gang activity.

The incident took place Saturday afternoon in a sparsely settled area on the outskirts of San Quintin near the Pacific Ocean known as La Chorera. According to the report, the incident began when Hoff approached the suspects as they were dismantling a vehicle.

Hoff has not been able to talk about the incident. But Cristina Montes told his daughter, Christine Hoff, that Hoff had heard some noise at a neighbor’s unoccupied house, and drove down to investigate. Watching from her window, Cristina Montes saw the beating and called for help, then went to help her husband after the assailants drove off.

Ron Hoff and Cristina Montes Monjo But the suspects, who had driven away in Hoff’s SUV, returned and grabbed Montes as she tried to flee, hit her with a rock, and pulled her into the vehicle, the daughter said. Inside the vehicle, one of them tried to cut her throat, but only was able to inflict a surface wound. At one point, they threw her out of the vehicle and fled.

The suspects were captured a couple of hours after the incident following a chase in the neighborhood known as Colonia Benito Juarez, according to the Baja California Attorney General’s Office.

“It’s not something that only happens in Mexico, this could have happened anywhere,” Christine Hoff said. "The next time he’ll be more careful to see what happens across the street, he’ll probably check with a neighbor and maybe take his dog,” she said. She praised the quick actions of authorities in catching the suspects.

Hoff has been collaborating in an abalone farm being set up in La Chorera as an informal advisor to the project, said Reyes Guerrero Sandoval, the company’s owner. When the incident occurred, neighbors in the fishing community trailed and helped chase down the assailants, Guerrero said.

In a 2008 column, Hoff wrote about his love for Baja California. “The countless examples of generosity and hospitality to me are part of the very essence that makes Mexico the number one-travel destination for the USA,” he wrote. “The Baja California peninsula is my home and where I hope to spend the rest of my life, God willing.”

Means said Hoff has no insurance coverage for his treatment at the private hospital, and friends and family members are trying to raise funds.

Montes is being treated at a public hospital in Ensenada and was expected to be released today, Christine Hoff said. Hoff was undergoing surgery for a broken jaw, his daughter said. Both “are recuperating in a miraculous way,” she said.
Old 09-13-11, 08:58 PM   #49
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

I'm sending to Fernando tomorrow via Western Union.
Old 09-14-11, 10:18 AM   #50
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I've been in a communication vacuum without internet since last Friday afternoon. But I started receiving calls from friends Saturday evening to tell me the devastating news & many, many more calls went back & forth as updates were posted. The initial shock has lessened only slightly over the past few days. This was terrible news to hear & my most positive thoughts have been with Ron & Cristina. The physical & emotional trauma which Ron & Cristina have experienced & will continue to experience will be a long time fading. But they've got a phenomenal support group of family, friends, neighbors & "virtual" strangers & if wishes alone carry any healing power, then they'll both be on the fast-track to full recovery.

There comes a point where the best of intentions cross the line from caring concern to become intrusive, invasive & meddling. Christine was & will continue to be his advocate until Cristina is able, please respect that. Christine has been there, she's seen both Ron & Cristina & she's had to make some tough calls based on her knowledge of the individual facts & circumstances & information from the doctors....please respect the fact that she's making decisions on information she has that none of us have access to....nor any right to demand it be made available to us. We all want the best for Ron & Cristina....as does Christine! IMO, many folks who posted on BN were way out of line in their good intent. As was posted, keep in mind that Ron will be reading all those posts in the near future. Do you think the overwhelming concern expressed is going to overshadow the comments & criticisms about Christine's decisions? That's doubtful in my book.

Ron has publicly expressed his faith in Mexican health-care system. Based on the many versions & layers of "facts" & conflicting information made available, I believe Christine has made decisions in Ron's best interest, I'm sure that Ron will concur when he's able.

Sincere best wishes for speedy & full recoveries for both Cristina & Ron. I'll give him hell later for not having taken the killer dogs with him!!
Old 09-14-11, 10:38 AM   #51
delmaracer

delmaracer is on a distinguished road

This news is terrible. I hope some frontier justice is used with those 3.
Several years Ron took a picture of a double rainbow over one of the San Quintin bays. I hope that he and his wife are enveloped in all things that seeing a rainbow brings to our minds.
Old 09-14-11, 10:50 AM   #52
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Ditto's Leg's.... thanks ...

Myself, I have no concerns for both, at this time ... they are in good hands.. and with this many friends.. well, again... I have no concerns... at ALL ...

What we really need, is someone over there... making sure Ron doesn't get behind on his building schedule... as I'm sure there must be something to do over there, which he had planed... after all he does run on Navy time.. or appears too...

Looking forward to his and her report on this "event" in their lives... it's all good.. they are alive and coming back...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and looking forward to those great reports and comments.. in the near future ... wish there was more one could do ... but, I'll be keeping an eye out on the board for your insighful posts once again... and a progress report on ALL your projects... when you get around to it...

Take your time.. as you have nothing but... God bless and thank you for being around ... STILL !!!

Last edited by wessongroup; 09-14-11 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 10:51 AM   #53
ELINVESTIG8R

Hi All, if you can financially, please send Fernando Garcia Obeso (fdt) money via Western Union to help with Ron’s Hospital bill. You can u2u him to give him the MTCN so he can pick it up. I sent mine to Ensenada but I think he would have preferred it at Tijuana. Oh well at least when he goes to Ensenada he can get it.

David
Old 09-14-11, 11:09 AM   #54
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
...many folks who posted...comments & criticisms about Christine's decisions...
There but for the grace of God go I.
Old 09-14-11, 11:52 AM   #55
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Hi All, if you can financially, please send Fernando Garcia Obeso (fdt) money via Western Union to help with Ron’s Hospital bill. You can u2u him to give him the MTCN so he can pick it up. I sent mine to Ensenada but I think he would have preferred it at Tijuana. Oh well at least when he goes to Ensenada he can get it.

David
David I have sent money VIA WESTERN UNION many times in the U.S. If you have the transaction # you can pick the money up at any western union.
Old 09-14-11, 12:12 PM   #56
ELINVESTIG8R

Thank you J.P.

I just called Fernando and told him. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-11, 05:04 PM   #57
Nighttrain

Nighttrain is on a distinguished road

Thank heavens for the dignity shown in the posts in this thread. The over-the-top brainstorm factory on another popular bulletin board leaves me with one question: which way is the vomitarium? Please get well soon, Ron.
Old 09-14-11, 06:51 PM   #58
Marty Cortez

Thank heavens they are getting better.

From the daughter Chrissie:
Quote:
"...I was on the phone with Laura and she is happy with the treatment they are providing to Cristina. She is eating and fully remembers everything that happened that day. Cristina took a bath and is in good shape right now...

...Lora spoke with my dad and he is so happy!!! He is overwhelmed with all the support the nomads are providing to him and Cristina!!! He sends lots of Thank you and he cant wait to be able to join the group again!!..."
From Doug Means @ Nomads:
Quote:
"...Angels4(Laura?) reports that Ron is off sedation and was getting agitated again early today - partially (or wholly?) because nobody was answering his questions about Cristina and where she was. Angels4 had Cristina record a voice message to play to Ron that told him to listen to the doctors, and be calm, etc... and that when they played that recording for Ron, he absolutely became calm, comforted and cooperative after hearing that recorded message from her..."
Old 09-14-11, 07:09 PM   #59
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Still holding breath with fingers crossed for their continued recovery, but this is very positive news. Noise-to-signal ratio got so high over there for a time that I missed that update from Doug. Thanks, Marty!
Old 09-14-11, 07:37 PM   #60
Marty Cortez

We've all been on pins and needles following along so I thought a little levity might be in order.

A few days after surgery; after the blessed relief of returning to their beloved home, I bet Ron will earn some kind of award.
Attached Images