Visas for travel and living in Baja California, Mexico FMM / FM3 / FM2 / Mexican Citizenship?

Old 10-22-11, 01:17 PM   #41
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Post Re: HELP: Now Concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
I personally would welcome sweeps by Mexican Immigration removing violators. We expect the same in our country, obey the laws of the country you are in.

Get legal, stay legal........no problems.
Yep... makes sense!
Old 10-22-11, 01:35 PM   #42
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: HELP: Now Concerned

I am so glad that I am NOT illegal, anymore :)

Might have got on the wrong side of people I have not even met yet, not a pleasant thought.
Old 10-22-11, 02:15 PM   #43
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

No worries, Johnny...........just follow the stellar advice of Leggs, you can't go wrong!!!!
Old 10-22-11, 03:29 PM   #44
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
No worries, Johnny...........just follow the stellar advice of Leggs, you can't go wrong!!!!
You must not have read all the verbiage & looked too closely at some of the latter pics in my construction thread for casa #3, huh??

But I think I can honestly say that nobody has ever come back & told me they regretted following my advice on how to best survive the culture shock SOB. And I've never gotten a call to bring bail!
Old 10-24-11, 07:09 AM   #45
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
And I've never gotten a call to bring bail!
Now I know who to call next time...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-24-11, 08:29 AM   #46
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Now I know who to call next time...

WHOA!!!! Do you mean to tell me you've actually followed any of my advice?

Old 10-24-11, 12:03 PM   #47
BluChunx

BluChunx is on a distinguished road

Two corrections:

About the 5 years for the FM2: That is no longer true. I got an FM2 directly, no FM3. The rules changed at some point on this.

Re: No rights as an alien: Just so people don't get the wrong idea, the Constitution applies to aliens, including illegal ones. Of course, that's cold comfort to someone that is losing everything because of a dispute or deportation!

As for sweeps for illegals: (Warning, this is probably painfully obvious.) How much laws are enforced is often a matter of political or economic convenience. Without a political push from voters for sweeps, and with an economic incentive to have them (the aliens, illegal or not, boost the economy for the most part), it's unlikely that there will be situations like Arizona where the cops are expected to ask for your papers.

And the shoe is on the other foot, too. When it was economically advantageous to have low-paid workers, the U.S. had lax enforcement. Then a combination of job scarcity and political pressure created by scare tactics, created massive deportation under Obama's administration.

I'd guess that, so long as there aren't too many expats causing trouble (DUI accidents, undesired activism, poverty, job competition, etc.) then we won't see the tide turn. Into the foreseeable future, I don't think that's likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
SOME OF THE THINGS POSTED ABOUT THE SUBJECT (did a search because it was a while ago I read about the sweeps, FM-3 required, etc.):
-- snip --
Old 10-24-11, 11:23 PM   #48
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

I hope it doesn't turn out to be bad advice, but when I went to the Mexican Consulate in Seattle to get current information on my move to Rosarito, their advice was as long as I was going to stay in BCN, to not do anything until after the first of the year.

They said that so many details of the new immigration policy are still being worked out. Since it was less than 180 days until 2012 that the normal tourist status would be fine until then.