Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 07-29-09, 11:09 AM   #21
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: We don't need no stinking wires

AKA.....What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
Old 07-29-09, 12:22 PM   #22
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I am a big believer that we worry way too much about potential problems in life that simply find their own way of working things out...
You mean potential problems like these?

* Won't you have to lower your standard of living?
* Aren't you too old to learn a new language?
* What if you get sick?
* How will you make friends?

And my favorite:
* What will you DO all day?

Maybe I'm more fatalistic than most folks, but at some point you've gotta just do it!!
Old 07-29-09, 12:36 PM   #23
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Exactly...
Old 07-29-09, 01:04 PM   #24
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Maybe I'm more fatalistic than most folks, but at some point you've gotta just do it!!
Nope, I think you're more realistic than fatalistic! Not to mention you obviously come from sturdy pioneer stock....as do I....well, either that or insanity just runs in both our families!
Old 07-29-09, 01:39 PM   #25
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Nope, I think you're more realistic than fatalistic! Not to mention you obviously come from sturdy pioneer stock....as do I....well, either that or insanity just runs in both our families!
I do think that those of us who were raised by parents who survived very difficult life conditions of 1920's/30's and were constantly reminded of the hardships they endured probably have a different perspective on events of today and adapting to a simpler form of life.

Insanity? It certainly has to help!

Old 07-30-09, 12:38 AM   #26
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaNuts1
no tinfoil.....yet...
:tinfoil:
Old 07-30-09, 06:24 AM   #27
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
You mean potential problems like these?

* Won't you have to lower your standard of living?
* Aren't you too old to learn a new language?
* What if you get sick?
* How will you make friends?

And my favorite:
* What will you DO all day?

It's amazing how much, and from how many people I've heard the above quotes.

I can even add to that:

My dad, very seriously telling me he has to come visit before we leave because he'll never see me again if we move to Mexico. (He's convinced it's a war zone)

My Brother who makes Rush look liberal, telling me I shouldn't retire because we're all screwed and the government will wind up taking all our pensions and 401k's in a few years. (I think he DOES wear a tinfoil hat )

Or my personal favorite - "Well... if you retire in Mexico, how are you going to find another job. I can't imagine anything pays well down there. "

I think the most common question I get though is in Kate's quote above: What will you DO all day?
Old 07-30-09, 09:28 AM   #28
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWooo

I think the most common question I get though is in Kate's quote above: What will you DO all day?
Something tells me you will think of something...
Attached Images

Old 07-30-09, 09:48 AM   #29
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or my personal favorite - "Well... if you retire in Mexico, how are you going to find another job. I can't imagine anything pays well down there. "
Yeah, what's up with that? People have stopped seeing retirement as freedom from the constraints of work. Instead, they leave their work for what they call "retirement jobs", which seems oxymoronic to me, but there it is. A few years ago, I actually attended a "retirement party" for someone who was retiring from his retirement job to go to another retirement job. Sheesh.

Maybe it's a corollary of "What will you DO all day?" A variation on that is, "You can't just surf/fish/golf/kayak/sit next to the water drinking Margaritas all day!" When I ask why the hell not, people tend to eye me warily and back away.

Gorgeous pic, BG!!
Old 01-26-10, 09:15 PM   #30
arturo

arturo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am a big believer that we worry way too much about potential problems in life that simply find their own way of working things out
Mexico has known this for millennia. Those who come here wish to learn this. BajaGringo has figured it out: you can, too.
Old 01-27-10, 10:12 AM   #31
BajaGringo

It took me awhile. The good news is that I don't take anything for high blood pressure anymore after 30 years of popping a pill once a day...
Old 01-27-10, 11:47 AM   #32
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Stop you guys, your killing me.. it hurts when I laugh..

I was, looking at dirt to build out.. but, I started having these flash backs on a home that I built years back.. about, just what your all talking about, It all rushed back into my mind, ..

I had asked a seller if he would "consider" a number for an acre of land, with an unobstructed view of the Pacific .. he declined to consider the number.. this was about 3 weeks ago.

This past week, he had changed his mind and wanted to move forward on my "offer" .. I informed him that I had only asked if he would "consider" the number... it was not an offer to purchase..

Was able to get away with no harm no foul and no money to any brokers.. they all wanted money up front, and the amount strangely worked out to be the amount of their collective commission for the transaction ... they insisted it was "required" as this is the way it is done in Mexico!! I suggested that in the States the 6% in commissions was based on the agent being Licensed, takes care of the Escrow, Title, and Bank and other issues, if so desired by the purchaser, therefore.. since they did nothing like this their fee should be adjusted to one (1) point, as that was what their time and effort on the deal appeared to be worth

It got really, really quite... no one said anything... I asked if an interpreter would be necessary .. No was their answer, and they did not think this would be possible.. which allow me to walk completely away from all parties..

A real treat buying or building, be it here or in the States.. waited for an electrician for a day once.. we did not have cell phones at that time, and if I had used my radio, the folks at work would have know where I was.. Jerks abound and build ones home is truly an experience one just will never forget, be it the first or the third....

Will have to say, yeah, it will work out, so will your tapering off the xanax once your finished

Legz.. and I thought you walked on water.
Old 01-27-10, 01:19 PM   #33
longlegsinlapaz

wessongroup, you're words just brought to mind a letter of recommendation which a thoroughly by-the-book & utterly professional manager with The Boeing Company in Seattle wrote on my behalf when I needed to relocate to Portland for Moms' sake when my father died.

She started out on a totally professional note, detailing my experience, skills, attitude, company loyalty, etc....in the last sentence she said "If it sounds like "xxxxx" walks on water....believe me, she does!

I got the job!
Old 01-27-10, 02:04 PM   #34
wessongroup

Legz.. is that you in BG's sunset pic... walking to those islands in the background ,

Would add, the picture is really striking.. outstanding shot.. thanks

One other, I'm not up to speed on the "tinfoil" have seen it used a couple of times.. here and else where.. help an old guy out... please
Old 01-27-10, 04:22 PM   #35
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
...I'm not up to speed on the "tinfoil"...help an old guy out... please
It's a one-word dismissal of any idea that people would conspire/be corrupt for profit. Because we cannot know all the details(goes the reasoning), nothing is going on.
Recent example: the global meltdown was an accidental result of incompetence. Any suspicion of malevolence-for-profit is :tinfoil:

Tinfoil hat etymology
Attached Images

Old 01-27-10, 06:14 PM   #36
wessongroup

BG.. was re-reading the thread.. and saw your post about high blood pressure.. I may have already put this up..

I've been treated for high blood pressure for sometime too.. and on my last Doctor visit up to the states in Nov, my Doctor wanted to know what I was doing, this as my BP was the lowest it has been in years.. 122/75, and my blood work came back A-OK too..

I told him I was living in Mexico, eating taco's and looking at the ocean and doing what ever I could do in my current condition.. his response, "I think I'll move down there with you"

This is the best I have felt in many years, I know there are other reason too, but getting away from the "vibe" of the States has done nothing but good for me.. I'm just taking it easy.. closest thing I do to excitement is posting on these boards and playing my guitar thought the amp, when the wife takes off for a while shopping.. yes, she drives all by herself in the dangerous place.. OMG.. just used that for the first time..

And I don't duck when we go through Tijuana .... I'm not afraid in Rosarito, nor am I afraid in any place I have been in the 5 months I have been down here.. We do lock the doors at night.. and lock the place up if we leave for a while.. but, we did that in the States..

BG.. I like your take on it.. take it easy.. it will all work out.. just relax it WILL happen!!

And I'm not wearing a stinking foil hat can't believe I could be soooo isolated from things.. well, I'm trapped in my own little world as it would be....
but, fun, but, fun..

"Maybe it's a corollary of "What will you DO all day?" A variation on that is, "You can't just surf/fish/golf/kayak/sit next to the water drinking Margaritas all day!" When I ask why the hell not, people tend to eye me warily and back away."

Really like this one too... yeah, why not !!

Last edited by wessongroup; 01-27-10 at 06:18 PM. Reason: I can't write clearly, it's a curse
Old 01-27-10, 07:28 PM   #37
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

I just have to add one more quote from someone who "just doesn't get it". Right before I retired and left work, I was talking to the City Manager. He just got back from vacation after leaving early. He came home early because he was bored. "Just how many sunsets can you watch?"
Old 01-27-10, 07:40 PM   #38
BajaGringo

It is a mindset and I am convinced that living down here has improved my health/quality of life substantially...
Old 01-27-10, 08:37 PM   #39
wessongroup

Quote:
I just have to add one more quote from someone who "just doesn't get it". Right before I retired and left work, I was talking to the City Manager. He just got back from vacation after leaving early. He came home early because he was bored. "Just how many sunsets can you watch?"
You just made me spit water though my nose!!
Old 01-27-10, 08:38 PM   #40
wessongroup

Quote:
It is a mindset and I am convinced that living down here has improved my health/quality of life substantially...
I'm really finding that true also...