Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 12-05-11, 07:01 AM   #21
bajabass

bajabass is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hello

I would say if you are here legally. FM2,FM3,FMM, then you are a guest. Play by the rules, or be prepared to be "asked" to leave. Same as in my house.
Old 12-05-11, 07:37 AM   #22
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

If I am understanding Dennis's implication, I agree with him. Guest is primarily a social relationship which , even in a business relationship like a restaurant or hotel, connotes hospitality and inviation either personal or general. We aren't specifically invited here, but we may be allowed to stay, under the terms and conditions of the country we have entered. Seems to me that if immigrants, legal or otherwise, are to be treated as "guests" with all the benefits and graciousness that typically comes with that it is the host that has to initiate that mindset and related behaviors.

Easier, for me, to view this as a legal relationship, with the balance of power tilted heavily toward Mexico accept it for what it is, knowing that Mexico can terminate the visit at any time for any reason.

Last edited by dusty; 12-05-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-05-11, 09:34 AM   #23
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgar
...bleeding hearts...Thats just to bad isn't it...dance around it all you want...crap...people crying...Attitude you might say. Hell yes...Man you dont want me president thats for sure...you have a problem with Americans going to Baja and working. Well, Like i said, No Donuts for you
Those bleeding hearts really get on my nerves too.

Fortunately, we have a solution handy here.

Works well for whatever type poster you don't care for at the moment.
Old 12-05-11, 11:52 AM   #24
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Always found thinking of myself as a guest of Mexico was OK...

Hey Dennis.. didn't they give you the "welcome to _____" and don't forget "we are guests of this Country.. and in my case .. that thinking was coming from the Commander of SAC at that time in the Air Force...none other than General Cutris LeMay ... a real fun kinda guy ... ... must say, agreed with his approach to fighting war... with the possible except of Cuba ...
Old 12-05-11, 12:16 PM   #25
airgar

airgar is on a distinguished road

No , It's not offenive at all. It's just that my intentions to Baja are to tread lightly. I move there. It's my country too. The only time I plan on going back to the US is to Meet and greet the family.I'm done with it.
It comes down to this everyone, If Chevron makes 58 Billion dollars profit in a single quarter. Again that is BILLION and CLEAR profit and only one QUARTER and our US Goverment doesn,t even sneeze at this, I really dont care anymore. Then you have the Bankers, Anyway there all going to Hell.When I was younger, I'm 49 now, I made in excess of $500,000.00 a year. My income from my company. Right before the bottom dropped out I was about $ 180,000.00 with 37 employees. As they say "What Ever".
And, I said 9 employees earlier when its more but 9 fulltime . I plan on 13 employees and I plan on going to Ensenada everyday with a goodsize Van full of Patries and donuts. It's all about volumne.The rest is my secrect and the tax man there.

AND... The amount of long Haul trucks that go by on Mex 1 is big alone. I checked it out. I've done my home work.
OH Ya!! The shop will be right by "Very Close" to the Federal Police building right on the Highway. The Feds love there Donuts and Coffee.We already take alot of them out fishing with us. And sorry for the Old Guy comment.I meant do disrespect. I'm getting older these days myself. But my best years are ahead of me in a country that welcomes me.
Old 12-05-11, 09:04 PM   #26
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Donuts?????........did someone say donuts??????

Where is this donut delight being located?????
Old 12-06-11, 05:53 AM   #27
dusty

Looks like in SQ. Perhaps franchise possibilty in BCS unless Dunkin gets here first.

Wonder if he will expand into crullers.
Old 12-06-11, 07:00 AM   #28
Teniente

And he is going to drive to Ensenada everyday???? That's going to get old, real fast.
Old 12-06-11, 07:23 AM   #29
dusty

I may have misread. It may be in Ensenada. Either way, with 14 people, I doubt the owner would be the driver. He's gonna have a donut van. Reminds me, when I was a rug rat, of these pristine little brown trucks, Helm's Bakery, that came by the house. The "bakery man" would give broken cookies to us children. The bear claws and cornucopias (cream horns) were to die for. Donuts were great.

I formed my sweet tooth at an early age and have faithfully nurtured it.
Old 12-06-11, 08:15 AM   #30
Teniente

Hope he does a market survey in Ensenada or SQ to determine if the those areas will support another donut biz or pastry shop/bakery. In Ensenada all chain stores, many of the local bakeries and even Tutti Donas (with great apple fritters) are in the mix. In fact, another bakery, specializing/advertising in donuts has within the last three months opened on Reforma. Never see any truckers or busses stopping there. Maybe like bringing coal to Newcastle.

I'll be waiting to quality control taste test the first load of apple fritters.........now to just find a decent cup of coffee......may need to import a batch of Dunkin Donuts coffee.........
Old 12-06-11, 09:23 AM   #31
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I love Tutti Donas...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-06-11, 10:37 AM   #32
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

A Mexican amiga opened two "USA-style" donut shops here in La Paz a few years back; they were fluffy, light & had an awesome flavor! Alas, she closed them due to lack of business within a year.

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 12-06-11 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Out damn typo!
Old 12-06-11, 11:42 AM   #33
bajabass

bajabass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
An Mexican amiga opened two "USA-style" donut shops here in La Paz a few years back; they were fluffy, light & had an awesome flavor! Alas, she closed them due to lack of business within a year.

Dra. Bajabass thinks I should open a chili cheese dog stand. I make fair to middlin chili, but how many hot dog stands are there in La Paz???? No thanks!!!
Old 12-06-11, 11:49 AM   #34
JESSE

JESSE is on a distinguished road

US style donuts, not very popular for Mexicans.
Old 12-06-11, 12:41 PM   #35
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE
US style donuts, not very popular for Mexicans.
Why is that Jesse? I mean if they like McDonalds and KFC so well, you would think donuts would work. They are very much like a churro, but in a circle, afterall... and lots of variety of types and flavors... ??
Old 12-06-11, 01:10 PM   #36
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Why is that Jesse? I mean if they like McDonalds and KFC so well, you would think donuts would work. They are very much like a churro, but in a circle, afterall... and lots of variety of types and flavors... ??
Ahem......pardon me, but a donut is NOTHING like a churro. I know, I am a donut expert. See my Avitar

/________________
\
Old 12-06-11, 01:15 PM   #37
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Old 12-06-11, 01:28 PM   #38
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K

lots of variety of types and flavors... ??

That may be adding to their confusion. Mexico bakeries have a wide variety of goodies to choose from, but most of them taste the same. The only thing that may be different is the coating.

I have noticed some improvement in that regard lately, however, just some.

Tutti Donas, as mentioned above, does have the Apple Fritters to kill for. Especially when right out of the horno.
Only thing is, you don't want to be eating one when you're out in a small boat. If, Gawd forbid, you had one slip from your hands, it would go right through the bottom.
YUMMY, none the less.
Old 12-06-11, 01:55 PM   #39
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Ahem......pardon me, but a donut is NOTHING like a churro. I know, I am a donut expert. See my Avitar

/________________
\
Yah, as a cop you know your donuts all right! LOL

'Much like' in that they are dough cooked in oil and coated with sugar... but I yield to your obvious expertese!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dennis, yes about all the panaderia sweet bread items tasting the same... pretty bland, not very sweet, all taste about the same... with a couple of exceptions.
Old 12-12-11, 03:19 PM   #40
DonCharly

DonCharly is on a distinguished road

Hello Ron

This is the reply to a post. I can not see it yet. I saw your disclaimer regarding new subscribers, so here is what I have typed.

AirGar

As I reply to AirGar post, I will also direct a question to all of you in this forum.
Firstly, the first reply, while it felt like a "Don't take away from the locals", I can see his point, and a very valid one.
As for the reality of your move.

My first advice.
From right now DO NOT TRUST ANYBODY. That is via the web or in person, friendships are made immediately, to "trust" that friendship it takes years, and by your post, you already have got burnt.
Why? The Bad Guys are on top of any social, community, free or pay site that is extremely popular. They do have people working on them, and getting leads for possible clients shakedowns, that they will indeed pay a visit to let them know who is boss.

My second advice.
Stop divulging any type of money talk, what was your profession, and what you are planning to do. I sure hope it is not doughnuts, because now they will be looking for that business.

My third advice.
Legally working in Mexico, highly recommended, and also have permits for your shop up-to-date. Even though the worst Mafia there is in Mexico called "Reglamentos" (Inspectors from the city, state, and federal if you are an illegal alien), they shield themselves behind their badge, they will find the most insignificant error in your establishment, or legal papers (god forbid), simply to shake you down. This fact is 90% probable that this is going to happen to you. Do not ever give in, because if you do they will be your most expensive salaried employee. To be successful in avoiding this type of situations, here it is suggestion for you to do.
Once there, try to carefully find a way to meet some local municipal official. Use the fact that you will hire local people, that you will invite friends from the US to came visit, embellish it as much as you can, and ask to talk to the Mayor, instead, they most likely will send you with his personal secretary, or the Secretary of the Mayor. After you introduce yourself ask to be introduced to the Development Secretary (Secretario de Desarrollo), same drill, but in this case ask her/him to please help you with an expeditious permit processing, and DO NOT FORGET to get all telephone numbers for mobile and nextel radio, as well as business cards of all people you'll meet, and directly ask in which number can they be reached, AT ANY TIME, if anything may delay or interfere with you enterprise.
If you are 100% clear with permits, plus showing off who you know, will keep them away for a long while, or until the renewal dates of those permits are up, and always keep those contacts current.

Lastly, the real mafia Shakedown, They are going to ask you for "piso" called it fee, protection, etc. It happens to just everyone that has a business.
My fourth advice, pick a city/town that has a real influx of foreigners.
The Cabo San Lucas destination has become now the only safe heaven in Mexico and the only destination for Hollywood stars. The BCS Government does not want anyone to mess with that Golden Goose. Even though there was a shoot out near the centre of town for the first time, the BCS Gov. was so good at killing that negative story, that never was caught by the radar of the world press. Acapulco, and Cancun are down 40% in foreign visitors. In the rest of Mexico everyone is exposed to the "piso".

Remember that most users of this site are not most likely to have a business, to the contrary, they are most likely retired living the good life, in a great place.

By the way, everything above is personal experience. When they asked me for "piso" I left the business to the owner of the building. He is now having trouble, but he can not leave his building. As for me, the central coast is just beautiful and peaceful, as a retiree.

I wish you well !