Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 10-25-12, 09:52 AM   #21
mskitty

mskitty is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hi y'all

I'm not going to deal with any real estate agents ahead of time, or sign anything until I have a chance to look around and ask lots of questions. I'll be traveling light, no more than an ordinary tourist in that respect, no need to find something to rent immediately. And believe me, I will ask, ask, ask, until I'm totally comfortable.
Old 10-25-12, 11:42 AM   #22
mskitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Bullseye. You found it.
Great! That beach looks wonderful -- long enough for a good walk. Between that beach and affordability, it's a really intriguing place to look into. I moved down here to my hometown not quite 3 years ago, from the southern Oregon coast, and I miss that ocean more than I can even begin to describe.

I'm listening to all of you -- no comments are falling on deaf ears, even though I may sound as if I know everything already. I promise I don't feel that way! I've spent lots of time reading all kinds of threads on the site, too. Learning lots that way. But I know I've barely scratched the surface. Still, I'm encouraged.
Old 10-25-12, 01:23 PM   #23
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

We're not meaning to discourage you - just want to make sure that you don't blindly fall into a very common mistake made by some who make the decision to move down here based on their childhood memory of Tijuana/Ensenada or having spent a weekend holiday.

Do your homework, ask lots of questions and then give it a lot of serious, deep thought. That's your best chance for choosing the right move to make...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-25-12, 01:47 PM   #24
mskitty

No worries! All my memories of Mexico are from adulthood and [aside from Tijuana and Tecate] from stays of at least a week. I'm a risk-taker by nature, have a tendency to just make things happen, once I decide I want it.

There are other considerations that I haven't even touched on here, and may not. But all will be thought out.

I'm still listening.
Old 10-26-12, 12:35 PM   #25
BohemiaBeerBash

BohemiaBeerBash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
We're not meaning to discourage you - just want to make sure that you don't blindly fall into a very common mistake made by some who make the decision to move down here based on their childhood memory of Tijuana/Ensenada or having spent a weekend holiday.

Do your homework, ask lots of questions and then give it a lot of serious, deep thought. That's your best chance for choosing the right move to make...
My Nickname for Mexico is Mixico... why? because you really can't gauge anything until you see where the neighborhood is situated and whats around it until you investigate. I really found out I didn't like driving through a ton of pot holes to get to your residence so this is a major factor for some. Also, there are mixed neighborhoods where Mexicans tolerate friendly gringos. Word of advice: Don't try to Cheap out cause you might get some features included in the rent price that you might need to purchase a la carte. A La Mexico is not always cheap.
Old 10-26-12, 01:00 PM   #26
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

To most of us in BCS the real Baja doesn't start till you get out of San Quintin going south.

I believe, you should give the southern part of Baja at least some consideration.
More laid back,friendlier and little crime.
Old 10-26-12, 01:10 PM   #27
mskitty

I knew a guy in Oregon who had a winter home in Mulege -- and he loved it! I saw lots of photos.

I'm still hung up on how far it is from the US Border, for driving up twice a year, but I'll keep an open mind on the subject. I'll probably explore everyplace before I settle on any.

Last edited by mskitty; 10-26-12 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 01:52 PM   #28
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitty
I knew a guy in Oregon who had a winter home in Mulege -- and he loved it! I saw lots of photos

Was his name Corky? Owns a fish restaurant in Newport Oregon?
Old 10-26-12, 02:06 PM   #29
mskitty

Nope. Name was Ken, lives in Florence, OR.

I had to think a minute on the name.

Kitty
Old 10-27-12, 10:02 AM   #30
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm a risk-taker by nature, have a tendency to just make things happen, once I decide I want it.
A woman after my own heart! Great attitude!! You & I both take the same approach!!

Quote:
There are other considerations that I haven't even touched on here, and may not. But all will be thought out.

I'm still listening.
Research the hell out of everything you can think of....then ask for input on any unknowns you might not have thunk to consider!
Old 10-27-12, 10:38 AM   #31
mskitty

My guess is that everyone here is a bit of a maverick -- perhaps more than a bit! Takes a certain amount of gumption (and in my case, perhaps a certain suspension of common sense) to haul off to Mexico or any other 3rd world country and take up residence.

My main 'other' consideration revolves around how to replace my two computers with one new laptop. Tough to do on my income! My laptop works great, but is probably 10 years old and doesn't have the ram and disk space, other things I need. Great for email when traveling. My desktop works great and has enough bells and whistles, but is 6-7 years old and I sometimes get hints that it's not completely happy or long for the world. Don't want to take either to MX or anyplace else I might end up. Issues for me always revolve back to $$. Alas.

Kitty
Old 10-27-12, 12:09 PM   #32
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

If you live near the coast, the salt air will devour all your electronics. We only buy factory refurbed electronics for the house- including computers and laptops. They cost less than half the price of new and usually have a one year warranty. Watch for them on www.woot.com (one major item per day until it's sold out, no sales tax and $5 shipping on everything).

You will pay a little more to live near the beach, but so long as you don't venture too far south in Baja you won't need air conditioning or even heat (besides a small propane space heater). I think the climate around Ensenada is perfect- close enough to the border, far enough from TJ and a year round climate of about 70 degrees. If you close up the house mid-afternoons the sun will passively heat your place and and you'll stay toasty all night. You really don't want to be paying electricity for A/C.

Last edited by Woooosh; 10-27-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 12:41 PM   #33
mskitty

Thanks for that good bit of advice on the computer, Woooosh. Certainly something to keep in mind.

Kitty
Old 10-27-12, 12:50 PM   #34
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Another thing that gets your sensitive electronics down here are the fluctuations in the line voltage. I have seen it vary from 60v to nearly 140v. You are best to run your PC off a UPS power backup which should help some. My laptops would last for about a year when I lived up north. Down here where we are off-grid (My entire house is a UPS) my laptop has logged over three years service without a problem.

I bookmarked that site Woooosh - I am sucker for those kind of deals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
If you live near the coast, the salt air will devour all your electronics. We only buy factory refurbed electronics for the house- including computers and laptops. They cost less than half the rpice of new and ususally have a one year warranty. Watch for them on www.woot.com (one major item per day until it's sold out, no sales tax and $5 shipping on everything).

You wil pay a little more to live near a beach, but so long as you don't venture too far south in Baja you won't need air conditioning or even heat (besides a small propane space heater). I think the climate around Ensenada is perfect- close enough to the border, far enough from TJ and a year round climate of about 70 degrees. If you close up the house mid-afternoons the sun will passively heat your place and and you'll stay toasty all night. You really don't want to be paying electrrcity for A/C.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-27-12, 01:03 PM   #35
mskitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Another thing that gets your sensitive electronics down here are the fluctuations in the line voltage. I have seen it vary from 60v to nearly 140v. You are best to run your PC off a UPS power backup which should help some. My laptops would last for about a year when I lived up north. Down here where we are off-grid (My entire house is a UPS) my laptop has logged over three years service without a problem.

I bookmarked that site Woooosh - I am sucker for those kind of deals...
Wow, wasn't aware of that. Now's when I show my techie ignorance. It won't be the last time, I'm sure. I have a really fancy surge protector that works great for lightning strikes, frequent power outages and such. Will that be sufficient? I'm only vaguely familiar with UPS power backups, not sure of the difference between the two. At any rate, sounds like a good reason to run the laptop off the battery most of the time!

I've bookmarked that site too!

Kitty
Old 10-27-12, 02:45 PM   #36
Woooosh

We had a long power outage last night in Rosarito Beach and I have 4 APC brand battery back-ups (UPS= Uninterruptable Power Supply) of varying wattage. I even have the refrigerator on one. They add power to your electronics/appliances when your house voltage is too low (brown out condition) and knock it down when the power is too high. A surge protector only knocks down the high voltage spikes, it cannot add power because it has no battery. That is the difference. I have my vonage phone, internet hub, computer and security system on a very powerful one. I still had security and internet access when the whole town was dark.

You will only need a small APC unit for a laptop and you can find them on e-bay (of course): Here's one for $38 shipped. You can plug several things into them, which is nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-Back-UPS...item2576e2a60e

Last edited by Woooosh; 10-27-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 03:13 PM   #37
mskitty

Thank you for the excellent explanation! Makes complete sense. I haven't needed the UPS in the past, and don't now, since my computer is more entertainment and toy than a business necessity. If the power goes off, it's just an inconvenience -- and it tends to come back on fairly quickly. But, I can see where it would be useful down there and I'll add it to my list if/when the time comes. :)

Kitty
Old 10-27-12, 04:06 PM   #38
Woooosh

Maybe the plug-in charger for laptops regulates the incoming charging voltage with the laptop's internal battery so you're OK without one. Anyone know if electronics with internal batteries benefit from a UPS?
Old 10-27-12, 04:21 PM   #39
mskitty

I don't know a lot -- but in the little research I've done re a new laptop to replace both the current laptop and desktop, it seems that 2 internal batteries would be a good thing to have down there -- don't need to be plugged in at all, other than charging batteries. But, that'll require some more research to figure out what's the most cost effective. And there's no rush, thank goodness. Lots of new terminology out there since I last bought one of these things and/or worked in the industry (software), and I don't understand a whole lot of it. But, it gives me something to do.

Kitty
Old 10-27-12, 07:05 PM   #40
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Supposedly laptops are better protected than desktops, or so I've been told by techies. The supported voltage and operating temperature ranges tend to be wider, and if anything gets fried, it's usually the charger. When you think about it, people use laptops for travel worldwide and can't easily tote voltage regulators and UPS units around with them. My very basic understanding of the charger is that it converts AC current to DC. If the incoming AC goes too far above or below the supported range, the charger can self-destruct and stop sending out DC to charge the battery. I don't think AC can get sent directly to the battery when that happens, at least not under normal circumstances.

On the other hand … once I was visiting relatives in Ohio and had plugged in my laptop to charge the almost-dead battery. A sudden thunderstorm moved in, and before I could unplug the charger, we had what must have been an almost direct lightning strike. The thunderclap was deafening, windows rattled, power dimmed and surged, and everybody's garage doors opened and closed all along the street. It was like when the space ship passed overhead in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. When I checked the laptop, the battery was fully charged, and it had only been plugged in for about 10 minutes. But everything worked fine afterwards.