General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-05-13, 05:17 PM   #41
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Military checkpoint scared sh*it out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
If you do some research and address the soldiers/marines at the checkpoints by their rank, they will appreciate it.
Is "asshole" a rank? Maybe that's where I' ve been going wrong. [jes kiddin']
Old 01-08-13, 02:39 PM   #42
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Not sure what to read into what seemingly are contradictory reports. On one end we hear that Peña Nieto wants to cut back the military presence yet today they tell us that the military is continuing their role here.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-08-13, 04:02 PM   #43
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Not sure what to read into what seemingly are contradictory reports. On one end we hear that Peña Nieto wants to cut back the military presence yet today they tell us that the military is continuing their role here.

That turnaround from last month is interesting and not very reassuring. The Gov said Gen. Duarte would stay- and then he's out. Probably just playing politics with our security.
Old 01-09-13, 08:50 AM   #44
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Probably just playing politics with our security.
A politician would do that???

Old 01-09-13, 06:06 PM   #45
Woooosh

Quote:
A politician would do that???

Did the politically appointed Rosarito Chief of Police pass his Control and Confidence tests? nuf said, huh.
Old 01-09-13, 07:27 PM   #46
BajaGringo

Ouch!!!

Old 01-10-13, 04:06 PM   #47
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall
I believe it's about disrupting their business. It will never go away completely--as long as there is demand, supply will find a way to meet that. But, disrupting their business model will make it seem less attractive to new market entrants.
Like that worked before with prohibition and all the vice units trying to stop prohibition. Don't think that will ever happen.
Old 01-10-13, 04:44 PM   #48
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum
Like that worked before with prohibition and all the vice units trying to stop prohibition. Don't think that will ever happen.
hmmm. .. . I'm not sure how your post refutes my comment. . . . .
Old 01-14-13, 02:02 PM   #49
Woooosh

Quote:
Ouch!!!
Well, it's not good to dwell on the negative. I'm not really negative, I'm more confused. We changed Police Captains while Hugo Torres was in charge of Rosarito and his Captain Montero was supported by most ex-pats . I personally met with him several times, liked him and he helped our family beyond expectations on one security problem. Fast forward two years to the present and now State Secretary of Security Montero is being bad mouthed and called corrupt by a Rosarito Chief who hasn't passed his anti-corruption tests (although he has asked the FBI to re-administer them). So what's the deal? How does Rosarito build trust with ex-pats regarding their security? It's not all political because the PRI has been in power in Rosarito all along. It's something hard to discuss on-line because any honest talk on-line between ex-pats is seen as being negative and inflammatory.

They just did some huge sweeps in your area to clean out the riff-raff. That's encouraging.

Old 01-14-13, 02:16 PM   #50
BajaGringo

That is good news - let's just hope we can get the politics out of it and let the guys do their job.

With increasing transparency more and more of the bottom feeders are getting outed. I have seen a marked increase in news coverage in the last year with respected Mexican news programs like Milenio with their outspoken Carlos Marin and Televisa's Joaquin Lopez Doriga and Adela; all who have dedicated extensive coverage to corruption. They have provided continuing coverage to the stories with multiple follow-up segments, making it harder for such events to be ignored or swept under the rug.

Let's hope this continues...

Old 01-21-13, 11:15 AM   #51
beachbum

We went through three checkpoints heading north yesterday. The soldiers seemed to be more thorough this time around with the inspections and questions but all remained very courteous. It was a minor inconvenience having to get out of the vehicle but at least the weather is nicer this week than last so it wasn't too bad.
Old 01-21-13, 11:25 AM   #52
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum
We went through three checkpoints heading north yesterday. The soldiers seemed to be more thorough this time around with the inspections and questions but all remained very courteous. It was a minor inconvenience having to get out of the vehicle but at least the weather is nicer this week than last so it wasn't too bad.
Glad to hear that. When we had checkpoints between Rosarito and TJ I used to keep decks of playing cards in my glove compartment to give them. They're young men far from home and bored stiff most of the time.
Old 01-21-13, 11:28 AM   #53
beachbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Glad to hear that. When we had checkpoints between Rosarito and TJ I used to keep decks of playing cards in my glove compartment to give them. They're young men far from home and bored stiff most of the time.
We always give them sodas and candy bars. They really seem to appreciate it.
Old 02-11-13, 09:43 PM   #54
robt65

robt65 is on a distinguished road

It's really not a whole lot different on the mainland. Living in Queretaro, our narco problems are almost nonexistent. I travel 600 miles NOB for my VA health Care in McAllen, Texas about every three months. Sometimes with a 16 foot enclosed cargo trailer and sometimes just in my 08 Tahoe. In my six years or so mostly full time living here (the first two years in the hotbed of Tampico, Tamaulipas even stopping by San Fernando on a couple of occasions, I have only ever had one scary encounter and that was just outside the outskirts of C. D. Victoria. They came flying out of nowhere and two newer crew cab pickups without uniformed officers, ( but four guys each with his own newer sub gun) stopped myself and my Mexican B-I-L and asked us to open the trailer, a few questions later they told us to continue on. I felt I had to change my pants after getting around the first bend into the mountains. We were moving to our new home in Queretaro and only had our furniture in the trailer. I kept hitting my hearing aids and told them my batteries were no good and my BIL accompanied them for the cursory inspection.

At that time I was only running one license plate as that was all my state issued. I was told to get a front plate even if it said “Go Kentucky Basketball” . . . I opted for a Viet Nam Navy Veteran plate and everyone said I was crazy, (maybe so) but I can tell you I have now a newer Tahoe and still have the Viet Nam Plate as well as a Viet Nam Navy Veteran decal on the Tahoe’s rear window and wear a Viet Nam Navy Veteran hat on every trip.

I have always been shown the utmost respect and very few times have been inspected other than thru viewing the windows. Like another poster stated here I also keep an abundance of Pepsi for the guys and we all have a short conversation. I bid them farewell with a “Gracious por tu Servicio” and we salute each other and we are on our way.

For me I am happy they are around. The checkpoints have been greatly reduced on my trip (Hwy 57 to north of Monterrey and then 40 east to Reynosa) and in a way I miss them.

San Miguel de Allende (a gringo empire in Central Mexico) has seen a great reduction in the NOB ex pats (Canadian as well as Americans) and most have been scarred off. I would say, according to our Mexican door maker, located there, a 50% increase in home sales by Ex Pats would not be out of line.

I really don’t think there is much difference between here and Baja, except you guys have the better fishing! (smiling)

By the way, I use a larger font (12 point) to see what I have written, as I have been losing my sight in one eye and the other is already blind. Hope that is OK Ron. . . . feel free to reduce it for your rules, if that matters. No harm, no foul

Regards, a newbie here.
Robt65
Old 02-12-13, 03:10 PM   #55
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt65
...By the way, I use a larger font...Hope that is OK Ron. . . . feel free to reduce it...
Heh. I know just the person you will hit it off with here.

Whatever you like is fine, Robert. Thanks for joining and introducing yourself.

Have you ever bumped into Frank Koughan in Quereta?
Old 02-12-13, 04:00 PM   #56
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt65
By the way, I use a larger font (12 point) to see what I have written, as I have been losing my sight in one eye and the other is already blind. Hope that is OK Ron. . . . feel free to reduce it for your rules, if that matters. No harm, no foul
to the Board!

btw: You can also reduce or enlarge the viewing font by holding down the "Ctrl" key and using your mouse wheel.
Old 02-21-13, 01:09 PM   #57
bajabeachbum

bajabeachbum is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Re: Military checkpoint scared sh*it out of me

Hey guy. My wife & I have spent many many years traveling the Mexican Mainland on motorcycles. I mean farm roads that require a good dirt bike and a prayer. We have on many occasions run into military checkpoints. Because of the locations ( no 4 lane highways back here) these guys actually have 50 cal. machine gun nest set up, sand bags and all ! Still never had an experience like yours. And we were in situations where they could have shot us, rolled us into a ditch, kicked some dung over us, and forgot the whole thing. However, I started thinking, in my much younger days I always drove hot cars, and I mean HOT. How many times was I pulled over by a cop who yelled thru the driver's window with a poker red face '' where the hall do you think your going in your gxd daxm hot rod ?'' And come to think of it, could he really have locked me up and thrown away the key ? Relax, that Mexican officer was having a bad day and wanted to share it with someone. Next time you see him he'll probably give you a smile & wave you thru. He'll figure that will make you even !!
Old 02-25-13, 09:53 PM   #58
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabeachbum
Relax, that Mexican officer was having a bad day and wanted to share it with someone. Next time you see him he'll probably give you a smile & wave you thru. He'll figure that will make you even !!
There may be some truth in what you say. That goes for the guys in blue heading northbound through the border as well...