Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 01-15-13, 02:45 PM   #21
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Peña Nieto publishes new security plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Kidnapping and extortion are a different thing. That is a by-product of the drug war....not a symptom.
To ignore that they are directly related is ignoring what is really happening. The perps who almost killed us had worked for the cartel in Sinaloa and were part of a band of extortionists/kidnappers back home. We learned that they were dealing meth and stealing cars here in Baja.

The vast majority of Mexico sees it as all related. Until it affects you directly it is easy to dismiss all the statistics as just getting rid of the "septic element".

I know because I used to think the very same thing...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-15-13, 03:16 PM   #22
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

My attention is toward the cartel activities in controlling Plazas and routes, and the thousands who have paid the price with their heads, limbs and lives in that specific endeavor.
Scum that oozes from that pozo to act out their illegal activities are doing it on their own, or were before organized crime found something for their unemployed to do.
These are not activities of a drug cartel. They are activities of the sewage that at one time worked for cartels in the business of moving drugs, and very little else.
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm just not lumping all crime and criminals into one big, convenient pile.
===================================================================
"The perps who almost killed us had worked for the cartel in Sinaloa and were part of a band of extortionists/kidnappers back home. We learned that they were dealing meth and stealing cars here in Baja."
=====================================================================

As you said, their actions against you were not cartel related. They were freelancing and the world would be a better place if they were dead.
It gives me something to pray for.
Old 01-15-13, 04:48 PM   #23
BajaGringo

I see your point Dennis but I have come to understand how Mexico views the increase in overall crime/insecurity as a cancer that has grown parallel to the cartels and heavily perpetrated by those who work/worked for the same cartels.

The mafia got its foothold in the US via prohibition but that didn't limit its reach to only alcohol related crimes.

Old 01-15-13, 05:56 PM   #24
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
...The mafia got its foothold in the US via prohibition...
FINALLY the inspiration for striking the Trillion-dollar co i n !

Joe Kennedy on one side...

Al Capone on the other.
Old 01-15-13, 07:48 PM   #25
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To ignore that they are directly related is ignoring what is really happening. The perps who almost killed us had worked for the cartel in Sinaloa and were part of a band of extortionists/kidnappers back home. We learned that they were dealing meth and stealing cars here in Baja.

The vast majority of Mexico sees it as all related. Until it affects you directly it is easy to dismiss all the statistics as just getting rid of the "septic element".

I know because I used to think the very same thing...
We forget to include human trafficking. Nice post Ron. Sorry you had to learn anything like that, let alone have your position evolve from experience. None of us moved to Baja wanting to learn any of this, it came it us where we live and ruined what should have been a perfectly good retirement plan. huh? At least we have nice places to hide out in.
Old 01-15-13, 07:52 PM   #26
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
FINALLY the inspiration for striking the Trillion-dollar co i n !

Joe Kennedy on one side...

Al Capone on the other.
good one.
Old 01-15-13, 08:32 PM   #27
Woooosh

A Timely news report: Mexican cartel busted in Canada and New York (allegedly, El Chapo's)

Chapo ingresó mmdd en mariguana a NY
Old 01-16-13, 03:27 AM   #28
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
We forget to include human trafficking. Nice post Ron. Sorry you had to learn anything like that, let alone have your position evolve from experience. None of us moved to Baja wanting to learn any of this, it came it us where we live and ruined what should have been a perfectly good retirement plan. huh? At least we have nice places to hide out in.
Yeah, I call it hard core on the job training....

Old 01-16-13, 03:39 AM   #29
BajaGringo

Quote:
A Timely news report: Mexican cartel busted in Canada and New York (allegedly, El Chapo's)

Chapo ingresó mmdd en mariguana a NY
According to the article you linked as well as others I have read, the cartels are now working with various mafia organizations, biker gangs and street gangs around the world to keep their products moving and the cash flowing. They are proving themselves to be very business like in how they network and organize.

It's like the perfect pyramid scheme...

Old 01-16-13, 08:56 AM   #30
Marty Cortez

Further bummer: La Paz/C.Constitución locals with 2 AK-47s & a .45 auto rob two gas stations in La Paz(only one had cash)...

2 aspects stood out:

-how about the balls of the cops to "marcarle el alto con los códigos encendidos y accionando la sirena" knowing the perps were armed...

-and publishing a witness' home address?
Old 01-16-13, 09:04 AM   #31
BajaGringo

Notice the shirt worn by the perp on the left? Remind you of anything from say, 16 months ago?

Old 01-16-13, 09:17 AM   #32
DENNIS

Quote:
Who else? The Sinaloa cartel was chosen long ago to be the premier organization. Even Forbes magazine silently predicted it.
Old 01-16-13, 09:24 AM   #33
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Who else? The Sinaloa cartel was chosen long ago to be the premier organization. Even Forbes magazine silently predicted it.
Chapo reportedly has a small team of MBA's who have helped him with his business plan and work behind the scenes at maintaining and growing the massive cartel network he has put together. I have wondered at times how he keeps track of it all...

Old 01-16-13, 10:54 AM   #34
Woooosh

Quote:
Chapo reportedly has a small team of MBA's who have helped him with his business plan and work behind the scenes at maintaining and growing the massive cartel network he has put together. I have wondered at times how he keeps track of it all...
Being one of the worlds richest men I doubt it is a small team outside of his core group. The Achilles heel of the cartels is trust- and for good reason. Once caught, they all seem to sing like canaries. I think pyramid is the right analogy. Only the top knows what is going on. It's too late to control that cartel- it is everywhere drugs are produced, transited and sold. Mexico was an easy foothold- institutionalized corruption and cronyism was alive and well before the cartels arrived with truckloads of cash. Who could resist that next step? Had they known it would lead to the degradation of Mexican society (as it has) would it have mattered? These people are not patriots- they are opportunists. The cartel was successful in using Mexico as it's base and now it is so multi-national in scope- Mexico really isn't important to it. The top of the pyramid is looking elsewhere for lucrative markets and shipping channels and finding great success. The appetite for drugs and money in the world in insatiable.
Old 01-16-13, 12:54 PM   #35
DENNIS

Quote:
The cartel was successful in using Mexico as it's base
More symbiotic than opportunistic. Mexico, de La Madrid in particular, invited the cartels of his day to leave their money in Mexico and in return they would be left alone. He had inherited an empty treasury and needed all the money he could generate into the system.
Unfortunatly, there were no checks and balances put in place and the cartels grew like an aggressive cancer, and when the government opened it's eyes, it was too late.
The rest is well recorded history and current events.
Old 01-16-13, 03:55 PM   #36
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Notice the shirt worn by the perp on the left?...
I sure did, but didn't want to stir up painful memories.

You both probably get plenty of that without any more "help."
Old 01-16-13, 06:03 PM   #37
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
I sure did, but didn't want to stir up painful memories.

You both probably get plenty of that without any more "help."
When this is over you can post their photos and the sentences they got.
Old 01-16-13, 06:42 PM   #38
BajaGringo

Quote:
When this is over you can post their photos and the sentences they got.
I will - we expect that to happen later this year. The good news is that in Mexico you get zero credit for time served...

Old 01-16-13, 10:36 PM   #39
Woooosh

Quote:
I will - we expect that to happen later this year. The good news is that in Mexico you get zero credit for time served...
You have kept the pressure on and their families haven't come to shower you with cash for you to pardon them. They left you for dead- let them sit in jail. Your Mexicans neighbors were the key to catching them and saving you. Although the security and healthcare systems aren't perfect and we have a new crime-awareness reality to adjust to- the heart of the Baja people hasn't been stopped yet. There are countries where generations of families have know nothing but heartache, poverty and war. The Mexican people deserve better, so I hope Peña Nieto gets it right.
Old 01-16-13, 10:39 PM   #40
BajaGringo

Quote:
The Mexican people deserve better, so I hope Peña Nieto gets it right.
From your lips to God's ears...