General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-10-13, 08:40 PM   #21
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: P.O. Box International working ok lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
i wonder how long it takes a letter to get from San Diego to Mexico City? Is mail delivery slow in Baja just because Baja is so remote?
Have you seen how they deliver mail? Here it's a guy on a 125cc motorcycle with a USPS plastic bin bungee tied over the rear fender. Slower than the Pony Express. But you can overnight letters to Mexico City from Rosarito for 220 pesos with on-line tracking (Estafeta). It's not cheap, but the service it there.
Old 03-10-13, 08:45 PM   #22
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Have you seen how they deliver mail? Here it's a guy on a 125cc motorcycle with a USPS plastic bin bungee tied over the rear fender. Slower than the Pony Express. But you can overnight letters to Mexico City from Rosarito for 220 pesos with on-line tracking (Estafeta). It's not cheap, but the service it there.

When I first came to Punta banda the mail man rode a Bicycle.
Old 03-10-13, 09:07 PM   #23
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Mine in central La Paz rides a bicycle, but I'm only about four blocks from the post office and usually get my mail the day after it's received there. Sometimes even the same day.
Old 03-12-13, 10:48 AM   #24
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm wondering, if I mail 2 letters from San Diego at the same time, one addressed to someone in Mexico City, and another addressed to someone in Rosarito or Ensenada, which will arrive first? Is the entire mexican mail service very slow, or just service to more rural areas?
Old 03-12-13, 11:29 AM   #25
Woooosh

Quote:
I guess I'm wondering, if I mail 2 letters from San Diego at the same time, one addressed to someone in Mexico City, and another addressed to someone in Rosarito or Ensenada, which will arrive first? Is the entire mexican mail service very slow, or just service to more rural areas?
I had two Christmas cards mailed from San Diego early December arrive here in Rosarito Beach mid-February. Snail mail is no way to go through life. In Meixco snail mail isn't used much. The electric and water bills are hand delivered. Even stores like Coppel send their employees to deliver bills- not mail. The only regular snail mail we get is from TelNor and the bank.
Old 03-12-13, 12:45 PM   #26
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a P.O. Box in downtown La Paz.....in the 13+ years I've been here, conventional mail from the states has a historical average of 3-4 weeks EITHER direction!! Express mail from the states is 1-2 weeks. Best case scenario (ONCE!) was 5 days from US postmark to received date stamp in La Paz!! Worst.....like Woooosh.....was a Christmas card which arrived a full year late.....in December! Then, too, I've had things never arrive & never be returned to original sender!!

Oh yeah, average time to find it's way physically find it's way into my P.O. Box after received in La Paz date stamp is typically 5-7 days!!

Use your own judgment based on importance & urgency or timeliness of the individual piece of mail.....then use DHL, or scan & e-mail! In my personal experience, "Next Day" DHL takes a minimum of 3-5 days either direction. The internet is my friend!
Old 03-12-13, 02:19 PM   #27
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Clearly mail to/from the states to Baja or Baja Sur doesn't work well, but I am still left wondering if mail to/from large cities on the mexican mainland also take forever.

Really makes you value the mail service we have in the states, even to fairly rural areas of the US Priority and first class mail rarely takes more than 3-4 days.

-Roger
Old 03-12-13, 04:13 PM   #28
Woooosh

Quote:
Clearly mail to/from the states to Baja or Baja Sur doesn't work well, but I am still left wondering if mail to/from large cities on the mexican mainland also take forever.

Really makes you value the mail service we have in the states, even to fairly rural areas of the US Priority and first class mail rarely takes more than 3-4 days.

-Roger
The mail isn't the ONLY thing slow down here, but you adapt.
Old 03-13-13, 05:27 AM   #29
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Roger
I have used Correos Mexico several time from San Luis Potosi. I sent certified letters which cost $33.00 pesos to San Diego. You can track them on their website with the # on your reciept. The time delay seems to be the truck taking them from San Luis Potosi to either the Guadalajara airport or Benito Juarez airport in Mexico City. Once at an airport they get to LAX airport the next day and on to San Diego the next day and delivered. It takes from 7 to 9 days. Alan
Old 03-13-13, 02:16 PM   #30
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
...a Christmas card...arrived a full year late...