Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 03-27-13, 11:20 PM   #21
KGryfon

KGryfon is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hi Baja Folks!

BTW, unless you (not you, specifically expect your retirement to last longer than about 20-22 years, generally overall you are better off taking the lower SS amount as soon as possible. In my case it will even out at 22 years. I figured this out on my own and then confirmed it with my financial advisor. You should do the same!
Old 03-28-13, 01:33 PM   #22
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

MY retirement damn well better last longer than 20-22 years.....since I've already burned through 15 years of it!! But I figure my chances of success are pretty good since I come from a long-lived line.....at least on one side.....great grandmother made it 3 months past her 100th, great aunt beyond her 106th & Mom's still raising hell.....she turns 96 in April!! Isn't it interesting that it's the female of the species who apparently have the strongest tenacity!

I think I've already outlived my former financial advisor!

Yes, owning versus renting is a huge financial advantage. But then, there are some really small places (average 600 - 1,000 sq ft) around here that you can rent on a long-term (1+ year) basis for around $2,500 pesos a month.....if you don't haul a lifetime's accumulations of possessions & furnishing down here with ya!

Happy research & planning!
Old 03-28-13, 08:41 PM   #23
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if there's a way to work around the minimum pension income requirement? Does owning a home in Mexico help by lowering the monthly amount we need to show coming in?
We will have some supplimental income,over and above SS, but it is from a rental and perhaps our carrying a note when (and if) we're able to sell our business. Not sure if those sources will meet the requirements?
A little help?

Thank you!!
Old 03-28-13, 10:43 PM   #24
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Does anyone know if there's a way to work around the minimum pension income requirement? Does owning a home in Mexico help by lowering the monthly amount we need to show coming in?
We will have some supplimental income,over and above SS, but it is from a rental and perhaps our carrying a note when (and if) we're able to sell our business. Not sure if those sources will meet the requirements?
A little help?

Thank you!!
Yes. You are able sidestep the income requirement if you have investment property. This only began in Nov 2012, so it is applied variably. I think the amount was $150K... someone smarter then me here will know...
Old 03-29-13, 09:25 PM   #25
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Islander, as Woooosh said, property ownership is one way & sadly.....for you.....the only other I've heard rumblings about is to have entered the Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente process before the new rules were implemented in November; there have been a lot of comments posted to various Mexican forums to the effect that people who were already mid-stream in the Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente process prior to the new requirements will be grandfathered in against the old monetary requirements.....thank GAWD!! If I find that not to be true this coming November, I'll be sure to let you know my forwarding address.....in the states!
Old 03-29-13, 10:30 PM   #26
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Gee, isn't retirement such a happy care free time
Old 03-30-13, 07:02 PM   #27
KGryfon

KGryfon is on a distinguished road

Ha ha! Thanks, LL. I figure that with my lifestyle (smoker, drinker, red meat eater) I'll be lucky if I make it to 80. I guess I could clean up my act but after watching my folks slowly deteriorate I'm not sure that I actually want to live that long!
Old 03-30-13, 08:20 PM   #28
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Thank you Wooosh and LongLegs for your answers and insights.
I guess I'll have to deal with the reality I face when I get there. I won't have a large enough pension, that's certain, but we may have other sources of monthly income. The only question is whether or not those other sources are acceptable to the Mexican authorities.

Also, the home we're interested in is about half the value needed to qualify for the investment exception.

So, ......?