General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 05-31-13, 11:51 AM   #21
tjsue

tjsue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Discount Pharmacy-Rosarito Beach

I haven't been to TJ since last November when I bought four bottles of Amoxicillin. But I plan to move there this fall, and will be turning 65 also, so I probably won't be using the Farmacias much anymore. But you never know.
Old 05-31-13, 02:39 PM   #22
ldsnakes

ldsnakes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsue
The only time I have ever needed a script in Mexico was for antibiotics. They're also required for narcotics like vicodin and percocet.

I have bought antibiotics numerous times in TJ, and have never needed a prescription. Narcotics on the other hand, are another ball game, and I wouldn't even attempt it. Although I do know someone who bought them without a prescription, and brought them back across the border without a problem.

I don't know where you bought them at in TJ, but they should be asking for an RX by now. The law has been in affect since 2010 to my knowledge. Overuse of antibiotics has led to certain strains of bacteria building a resistance to the antibiotic making it ineffective.
Old 05-31-13, 02:59 PM   #23
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnakes
Yes the Walmart in Rosarito has a decent pharmacy with many well known brands like pfizer. Although, IMO Comercial (la comer) has the same or better quality with lower prices. There's also calimex which is cheaper than the other two but the quality of their meds is not as good.

The only time I have ever needed a script in Mexico was for antibiotics. They're also required for narcotics like vicodin and percocet.

The owner of one of our local pharmacy is also a Consulto Dr. if he don't know you it can cost you 10 bucks for a script.
Old 05-31-13, 07:36 PM   #24
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know where you bought them at in TJ, but they should be asking for an RX by now. The law has been in affect since 2010 to my knowledge. Overuse of antibiotics has led to certain strains of bacteria building a resistance to the antibiotic making it ineffective.
I agree the overuse of antibiotics is a problem. My Mexican family pops amoxicilin like aspirin and had no idea you need to complete a full course of treatment- they stop when they feel better. I suppose the law here is good, but- there is a pharmacist-looking man in a white doctors jacket holding a sign that says "antibiotics" in the "regular" lanes at the San Ysidro linea. Lot's of "compliance cops" checking vendor permits so he must be attached to the roadside Pharmacia. Not sure what he sells. Someone ask him next time they cross... Now that's service.

Last edited by Woooosh; 05-31-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 08:33 PM   #25
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

The medical community here encourages self medication. Sick people go to the neighborhood clinic and are given nothing because they don't have anything to give them, so they just tell them to go buy their own and dosage is left up to the patient. Of course, more is always better.
Old 05-31-13, 10:24 PM   #26
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
The medical community here encourages self medication. Sick people go to the neighborhood clinic and are given nothing because they don't have anything to give them, so they just tell them to go buy their own and dosage is left up to the patient. Of course, more is always better.
Of course more is always better, isn't it? I know this is a very broad generalization, but It seem the older folks still use a lot of over the counter herbal supplements and the traditional herbal remedies. The younger people seem to not mind giving themselves a shot of B12 when they feel an illness coming on and use antibiotics. And then there's people that thinking "more is better" may use both. If you start mixing herbs with antibiotics, you can get some very nasty side effects.

So did you go to the Gushers in Rosarito and get your discount card? (I think it's 25% off) Can anyone explain the appeal of sitting down and eating in one of these places? I don't get that. Apparently Gusher's are big players which to me means you are more likely to get real, not counterfeit drugs. Here's their website: Rosarito

Gusher Farmacias Drug Store | Tijuana, Mexico | SAN DIEGAN | SAN DIEGAN | San Diego Restaurants, Coupons, Attractions, Entertainment

Last edited by Woooosh; 05-31-13 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-01-13, 12:35 AM   #27
tjsue

tjsue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are two pharmacies that I go to, but I don't know their names. Both of them are in the tourist area, but further down. They're not the ones that have people standing out front trying to get you to come in and spend your money. The ones that I go to are less expensive. I bought four bottles of Amoxicillin 500mg/48 to a bottle, for $15 each.