Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 07-03-13, 06:01 AM   #21
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Default Re: SENTRI Denied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
An accident is just that, a DUI is an on-purpose.

That's total B.S. I never got a DUI on Purpose. The A holes Had It In For ME.

Old 07-03-13, 06:41 AM   #22
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
An accident is just that, a DUI is an on-purpose.
Are you saying that anyone who gets a DUI got it on purpose? Why can't a DUI also be an accident?
Old 07-03-13, 09:13 AM   #23
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"DUI means Driving Under the Influence and DWI is Driving While Intoxicated or Driving While Impaired. Sometimes the term OWI (Operating While Impaired) is used. All these terms relate to driving after consuming alcohol or drugs, and are very serious crimes. The drugs don't have to be illegal for a DUI to be issued - they can be illegal narcotics, over the counter medication, or prescription drugs."
Are you seriously arguing that you condone DUI? Seriously? Anyone who chooses to drive under the influence, regardless of the degree of impairment is choosing; unconsciously or otherwise; to put the well-being, lives & property of others in jeopardy!! If there were some magical way to guarantee that people who choose to drive under the influence would only be putting their own lives at risk, then I'd say go for it! There are enough unpredictable things that can & do happen driving unimpaired; adding drugs or alcohol to that equation simply ups the odds of death, dismemberment & property damage to innocent unsuspecting people!

Accidents may or not be prevented; depending on associated circumstances & driving skills of the involved drivers.....DUI is absolutely preventable!

Please update your profile to show your location.....purely as a public service warning!
Old 07-03-13, 11:33 AM   #24
tjsue

tjsue is on a distinguished road

Not me!
Old 07-03-13, 12:59 PM   #25
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsue
Not me!

Not you what? This is getting confusing.
Old 07-03-13, 02:14 PM   #26
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

No, not you tjsue.....the last few posts were addressing bwall's comments.
Old 07-03-13, 03:01 PM   #27
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

If I may interject, both Tiente and LL are highlighting the difference between an accident, an event in which you are an innocent particpant, and getting a DUI, which involves a number of personal choices, to drink (to excess, whatever that means in your area) and then to drive.
No one drinks and drives as automotons, they drink and drive as people who have chosen to do exactly that.
This is sort of like when our son killed a song bird in the yard by hitting it with a thrown rock. Me: "Why did you do that?!" Him: "It was an accident!" Me: You mean you threw the rock trying to hit the bird, but didn't think you would, right?" Him: "Yes, it was an accident" Me: "No, it was very intentional, and you are grounded"

Choices:Actions:Consequences
Old 07-03-13, 03:27 PM   #28
bwall

"Accidents may or not be prevented; depending on associated circumstances & driving skills of the involved drivers.....DUI is absolutely preventable!"

Now that everyone is on the record as saying that DUI and DWI are 100% preventable--what about distracted driving? You know, driving while talking on the phone, driving while texting, driving while surfing the web, while watching DVDs, etc.

I'd say that these are even MORE preventable than DUI and an ensuing traffic accident even more senseless (if even possible), yet there is no jail time involved. Why not?

Choices: Actions: Consequences, right?
Old 07-03-13, 03:28 PM   #29
bwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Are you seriously arguing that you condone DUI? Seriously?
No. I never said that.
Old 07-03-13, 05:14 PM   #30
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

bwall, I agree with you that the prosecution for a DUI is unequal to that of driving while otherwise impaired, (such as being on cold medicine, or distracted, or just being exhausted), but the laws are what they are, not what we wish they were or feel is fair.

We have projected a lot of layers of stuff on top of the original post of this thread, haven't we?

I run a passenger boat back and forth between Alaska and Washington, through British Columbia, and have a file full of stories of folks being denied entrance to Canada due to a long ago, forgotten transgression. No surprise that it works similarly on our southern border.

I suggest that potential guests plan a day trip across the border on their own time before joining the boat, to proof test their passports and "acceptability" by Canadian authorities.

Amazing what they catch
Old 07-04-13, 12:29 PM   #31
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
bwall, I agree with you that the prosecution for a DUI is unequal to that of driving while otherwise impaired, (such as being on cold medicine, or distracted, or just being exhausted), but the laws are what they are, not what we wish they were or feel is fair.

We have projected a lot of layers of stuff on top of the original post of this thread, haven't we?

I run a passenger boat back and forth between Alaska and Washington, through British Columbia, and have a file full of stories of folks being denied entrance to Canada due to a long ago, forgotten transgression. No surprise that it works similarly on our southern border.

I suggest that potential guests plan a day trip across the border on their own time before joining the boat, to proof test their passports and "acceptability" by Canadian authorities.

Amazing what they catch

I had a truck that I leased to a major hauler .They found out a previous DWI ant told me I couldn't go to Canada and then they said they could persuade Canada to overlook the DWI for a 200dollar fee. it told them there was nothing in Canada That I wanted to see that was worth 200dollar's of my money.
Old 07-17-13, 10:50 AM   #32
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

I was denied as well, with no explanation. I'm pretty sure it was due to the fact I was stopped in Yuma in 1988 on my way to Windowrock, driving my sisters car. the car had been reported stolen years ago by her, when her husband took it without telling her. My sister came by and got me out of jail that afternoon, I was never charged, I never had to appear in court and spent like 3 hours in jail in Yuma.

They wanted court papers explaining this, but no such records exist. The courts dont have anything over 15 years old or so, and I never had to appear in court regardless.

They would never confirm or deny if this was the fact, and told me to do a freedom of info request to see what they saw. I did that and no one ever got back to me. That was probably 3 months ago.

I still want to get a SENTRI but I think I'm screwed, they wont tell me why and just deny me.

I did get a statement from the courts in question confirming that they have no records, but they wouldnt accept that either. Or tell me what it was they actually wanted.

I can confirm that when they deny you, they are very tight lipped and cryptic about it.

-Roger
Old 07-17-13, 11:07 AM   #33
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
I was denied as well, with no explanation. I'm pretty sure it was due to the fact I was stopped in Yuma in 1988 on my way to Windowrock, driving my sisters car. the car had been reported stolen years ago by her, when her husband took it without telling her. My sister came by and got me out of jail that afternoon, I was never charged, I never had to appear in court and spent like 3 hours in jail in Yuma.

They wanted court papers explaining this, but no such records exist. The courts dont have anything over 15 years old or so, and I never had to appear in court regardless.

They would never confirm or deny if this was the fact, and told me to do a freedom of info request to see what they saw. I did that and no one ever got back to me. That was probably 3 months ago.

I still want to get a SENTRI but I think I'm screwed, they wont tell me why and just deny me.

I did get a statement from the courts in question confirming that they have no records, but they wouldnt accept that either. Or tell me what it was they actually wanted.

I can confirm that when they deny you, they are very tight lipped and cryptic about it.

-Roger
Roger - SENTRI has an appeal process.........use it. I know a couple of people who were denied, they appealed and were accepted.....
Old 07-17-13, 02:41 PM   #34
tjsue

I sent an email on June 27 to the Ombudsman's office as to the denial reason. I haven't heard back from them yet with it, though.

After I sent the email, I got this canned response: "Your email message sent to the CBP Ombudsman has been received. You will be advised when a review of your email request is complete. Please do not submit additional requests as it will delay responses from this office.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 07-17-13, 03:54 PM   #35
bwall

Uzun:

If they said to make a freedom of information request, then why not do that? It's not hard, news reporters do this all the time. If it's been three months and you haven't heard from anyone, then review your submission process. They have to answer you by law--not whether or not they want to, they have to, even if it is to say that there is nothing to release or report.

The Sentri program got an answer, so you should be able to as well. I imagine that everyone has to be in the same queue and it didn't take them three months to deny you, did it?

Perhaps might have made an error in the request process?

Here is a link on how:
FOIA.gov - Freedom of Information Act: How to Make a FOIA Request
Old 07-17-13, 04:39 PM   #36
Uzun

I did the FOIA request 3 months ago, never heard anything back at all. I also appealed right away, no response yet. Either they ignore them or its really backed up.
Old 07-17-13, 08:47 PM   #37
tjsue

I've heard that they're really backed up. I'm short on $$ right now, so I can wait. I don't have to cross the border every day with my vehicle, so that's an advantage. But I do plan to appeal it.

All the $$ that I have currently and coming in has to go for my move, but if get my denial reason earlier, I'll do it.
Old 07-18-13, 03:26 PM   #38
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Feds: Man Hid $128,547 In Sock Smuggle Bid | The Smoking Gun

It's guys like this that make the line move so slow. $128,547 cash stuffed in his sock at San Ysidro. What size shoe is that anyway ... a Bozo double wide?

Which begs the questions (beyond the obvious).. if you did sell something for say $50K USD cash in Mexico- you would declare that cash and bill of sale it at the border- and then what happens?
Old 08-02-13, 03:28 PM   #39
Uzun

Got my passport card today! It's almost as good as SENTRI, right? Please tell me it's almost as good....I want to think it's almost as good...
Old 08-02-13, 04:16 PM   #40
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
Got my passport card today! It's almost as good as SENTRI, right? Please tell me it's almost as good....I want to think it's almost as good...
Yeah, "almost" is the key word. I think it would be a wash between the Passport Card Ready Lane and the regular lanes................spend the $$$ and get (or apply for) the SENTRI