Old 09-22-13, 02:55 PM   #61
mike99km

mike99km is on a distinguished road

Default Re: SENTRI Denied!

[QUOTE=DENNIS;38450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente

Do they even ask for income info?
YES THEY DO!! I have a friend who showed up with his paper work, went through the interview his personal income didn't support his house payment, He went home got the tax return with his wife's income and walked out with a card.
I on the other hand didn't need to be interviewed for my renewal...
Old 09-22-13, 03:25 PM   #62
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=mike99km;38460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS

YES THEY DO!! I have a friend who showed up with his paper work, went through the interview his personal income didn't support his house payment, He went home got the tax return with his wife's income and walked out with a card.
I on the other hand didn't need to be interviewed for my renewal...

Well, I'll be gobsmacked!!!
Old 09-22-13, 03:38 PM   #63
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

A little messy with the quote box up there.
Old 09-22-13, 05:05 PM   #64
tjsue

tjsue is on a distinguished road

I did my appeal on the Ombudsman website on June 27, as soon as I got home from the appeal.
Old 09-22-13, 06:24 PM   #65
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Why would they approve a person whose rent was more than their income? I do believe they are looking for people who make extra money on the side to make ends meet. Or someone who may be tempted to make money illegally if their money gets tight. It's what the program is for and you're standing there waving a red flag. jmho
Old 09-22-13, 07:02 PM   #66
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

We had our tax returns with us, when we went in for the "inspection of the vehicle" and finishing off anything else required .... it had been suggested to bring the info with us ... they didn't ask to see it ....

I thought they let us go, cuz, were so good looking and have such great personalities .. go figure ...
Old 09-22-13, 07:11 PM   #67
tjsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Why would they approve a person whose rent was more than their income? I do believe they are looking for people who make extra money on the side to make ends meet. Or someone who may be tempted to make money illegally if their money gets tight. It's what the program is for and you're standing there waving a red flag. jmho
Unfortunately, I can't force Social Security to give me more money, but in fact, they're reducing it due to my Medicare premiums.

I also work as much as I can, but don't make much, that's why my landlord suggested that I wait and appeal in person after I'm established with a lower expense ratio. I have an interview for a second part-time job this week, so if I get it, it'll help.

I save as much as possible, only take money out for emergencies, and moving is an emergency.
Old 09-22-13, 07:58 PM   #68
Woooosh

The pedestrian lane at San Ysidro has a "ready lane" that is short from what I understand and connects to the San Diego trolley. Even the vehicle Ready Lanes are better than the regular lanes. You may have to wait until you can either prove your income is higher and stable or that your TJ living expenses are lower (which I presume is the point). Do you have to pay a fee every time to challenge it?
Old 09-23-13, 08:22 AM   #69
tjsue

Quote:
The pedestrian lane at San Ysidro has a "ready lane" that is short from what I understand and connects to the San Diego trolley. Even the vehicle Ready Lanes are better than the regular lanes. You may have to wait until you can either prove your income is higher and stable or that your TJ living expenses are lower (which I presume is the point). Do you have to pay a fee every time to challenge it?
I've had a passport card since they first came out, so crossing on foot doesn't take long, even though I get sent to secondary whether I'm driving or walking,

I've never been able to get into the Ready Lanes driving, so I just wait in the regular lane. Normally, it takes about an hour to cross, but one day last week it took three hours.

Proving my income is higher, and living expenses are lower isn't a problem, but right now, I'm just trying to get moved.

With a Sentri pass, I can work more, because I can cross the border faster when I drive. But until that hopefully happens, I'll have to take a cab to the border, walk across, and take the trolley. It takes 1 1/2 hours to get to Qualcomm, which I where I work during football season.
Old 09-23-13, 10:19 AM   #70
Woooosh

Maybe you'll meet a TJ Charger's fan at a game and catch rides with them.
Old 09-23-13, 03:37 PM   #71
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Have you tried looking at car sharing/car pooling services on craigslist? Considering the number of people crossing and going north, you should be able to find something.
Old 09-23-13, 05:47 PM   #72
tjsue

Quote:
Maybe you'll meet a TJ Charger's fan at a game and catch rides with them.
I don't go to the Charger's games to see the game, I WORK at the games, and have to be there four hours before kickoff. Also, I don't catch rides with other people, you can't depend on them.
Old 09-23-13, 05:49 PM   #73
tjsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall
Have you tried looking at car sharing/car pooling services on craigslist? Considering the number of people crossing and going north, you should be able to find something.
I don't have a regular work schedule because I work at events, and sometimes I get a job on short notice. When you work event security, you have to be there before the event, and stay later after the event, and you don't know what time that'll be.
Old 10-01-13, 09:27 PM   #74
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

The people at SENTRI called me yesterday afternoon and rescheduled my interview from its original 8:00AM Otay Mesa to a 12:45PM at San Ysidiro. There was a 2 hour wait but I did get my SENTRI this time. I believe I was denied a few weeks before you were tjsue. I recall when you first posted about getting your appt letter (which was right before you were denied) I had already been denied.

I had to drive over to Otay Mesa for the vehicle inspection and that was another hour wait. All in all I spent all day at the border, but at least it's over.

Now I have SENTRI, Global Entry, my vehicle is on the SENTRI list and I have the passport card as well! So all options are available, or rather will be once I get my SENTRI card in a couple of weeks or so.

-Roger
Old 10-01-13, 10:38 PM   #75
tjsue

I still haven't heard anything back from them. I'm now living in Tijuana, and will try to make an appointment to speak to a supervisor sometime in December. I've been told not to tell them that I'm on Social Security, because CPB might tell them.

I do work though, I just got a second part time job with the company that has the rest of the Qualcomm contracts, so my income will be going up some, and I can show that my expenses are lower, and maybe it'll help.
Old 10-02-13, 06:45 AM   #76
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsue
I've been told not to tell them that I'm on Social Security, because CPB might tell them.

I know a lot of folks here with SENTRI, and most, if not all, are on Social Security. I don't think your SS status has anything to do with SENTRI.
Old 10-02-13, 07:24 AM   #77
tjsue

They're afraid SS will find out that I'm living in Mexico, and reduce my benefits by 30%, because it's another government agency.
Old 10-02-13, 07:46 AM   #78
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsue
They're afraid SS will find out that I'm living in Mexico, and reduce my benefits by 30%, because it's another government agency.
There are about a zillion people who get SS that live out of the country. If ex-pats couldn't get their monthly SS benefit checks, several countries would go bankrupt.

Payments Outside the United States
As a United States citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States in this country (Mexico) as long as you are eligible for them.

From: International Programs - Payments Outside the United States
Old 10-02-13, 07:52 AM   #79
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Whoever told you your SS would be reduced by 30% for living in Mexico doesn't know what they're talking about or maybe you misunderstood. I've been in Mexico since 1999 & I went on SS 4 years ago, I actually signed up for it through the US consulate in Guadalajara & I receive full benefits.....deposited directly into my local Bancomer account. My address on record with SS is my Mexican address.

We were told by a Consulate representative at a Consulate held meeting in La Paz for US citizens 5-6 years ago that the largest demographic receiving SS in Mexico is Mexicans who formerly worked in the US.

SS does not penalize your SS benefits for living outside of the USA!
Old 10-02-13, 09:14 AM   #80
tjsue

The person who said that is on SS and lives in Rosarito. LongLegs, I didn't think it was true, due exactly what you said in your post.