Before you even think about buying property National land titles, ejidos, bank trusts and more...

Old 07-06-13, 05:24 PM   #21
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Purchased Parcels From Lange Corporation KM 18 Transpeninsular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
The USA works very closely with Mexico - don't believe otherwise.
Individuals may. It's not a bi-national norm. "Fast 'n Furious" comes to mind.
Old 07-06-13, 08:53 PM   #22
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Individuals may. It's not a bi-national norm. "Fast 'n Furious" comes to mind.
The fact that the US has armed agents moving freely south of the border tells me that it is much more than just individuals...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-07-13, 07:46 AM   #23
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
The fact that the US has armed agents moving freely south of the border tells me that it is much more than just individuals...
Mexicans should be concerned.

As should Americans, about the foreign troops training on American soil: Russian Troops On American Soil Confirmed (a violation of Posse Comitatus).

It's interesting to note that our young fighting men are deployed around the world, while foreign troops are coming to America, and that it would be easier to get foreign troops to fire on Americans than to get American soldiers to do so. If we were ever so disorderly as to require the help of the authorities to get ourselves under control, that is....
Old 10-18-13, 05:02 AM   #24
Apgoee

Apgoee is on a distinguished road

I can remember this same thing happening in the same area over twenty years ago. I thought everybody knew that all purchases land or otherwise are suspect in Mexico. What do you expect when your in a country that initially tries to charge you more for an item just because your an American. Try that BS in the USA against a Mexican and see what it get's you or go down there and demand your rights and burn a Mexican flag or two. I love the Baja and most everybody I meet down there, but it has free leeway to do what it wants to non Mexicans. Your rights are nil as a non Mexican and Napoleonic Law rules the day. Let the buyer beware. I stick to my adage. Never take anything into Mexico you cannot walk away from..,...apogee

Last edited by Apgoee; 10-18-13 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 08:40 AM   #25
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

I have always heard that piece of land had Overlapping Easement problems from the
Beach and the Toll Road.
Old 10-18-13, 01:30 PM   #26
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgoee
I can remember this same thing happening in the same area over twenty years ago. I thought everybody knew that all purchases land or otherwise are suspect in Mexico. What do you expect when your in a country that initially tries to charge you more for an item just because your an American. Try that BS in the USA against a Mexican and see what it get's you or go down there and demand your rights and burn a Mexican flag or two. I love the Baja and most everybody I meet down there, but it has free leeway to do what it wants to non Mexicans. Your rights are nil as a non Mexican and Napoleonic Law rules the day. Let the buyer beware. I stick to my adage. Never take anything into Mexico you cannot walk away from..,...apogee

Wow - not to defend the practice but do you walk around with an "I am a victim" sign on your forehead? While I agree that (unfortunately) the "gringo tax" does happen down here, it is not nearly so widespread as you say, especially outside of the tourist zones. One just has to do their homework first before even thinking of taking out their checkbook.

PS - By the way, the same "Gringo Tax" occurs in Panama:

Gringo Price in Panama

I have found that to be so in visiting/living in many different 3rd world nations over the years - sad but true...

Old 10-18-13, 02:30 PM   #27
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Gringo Tax. I remember when it was less obvious- restaurant menu's in English with dollar prices much higher than the Spanish menu... restaurants that always exchanged the dollar 10:1 when it was 11 or 12. When you call for a taxi in Rosarito they have a separate rate schedule (lower) for Mexicans. They admit the practice and feel no shame in doing so- the consumer protection agency is not pleased about it however. Like BajaGringo says, the more you live in touristy areas- the more likely you will be treated like an ATM at some point. .
Old 10-18-13, 04:52 PM   #28
BajaGringo

Quote:
Like BajaGringo says, the more you live in touristy areas- the more likely you will be treated like an ATM at some point. .
I found that to be true throughout central and south America as well as parts of asia. There exists a divide in perspective between industrialized nations and third world nations and it is simply a reality. When in Venezuela I talked to a group of European tourists who complained about the very same thing. The behaviour is directed based more on social-economic distinction than geo-political IMHO...

Old 10-18-13, 06:30 PM   #29
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I found that to be true throughout central and south America as well as parts of asia. There exists a divide in perspective between industrialized nations and third world nations and it is simply a reality. When in Venezuela I talked to a group of European tourists who complained about the very same thing. The behaviour is directed based more on social-economic distinction than geo-political IMHO...
equal opportunity fleecers. I was hoping the recent transparency forced upon them by the internet would cause some change in corruption and transaction behavior. But there is no shame in scamming a little to get ahead in much of the world, including Mexico. There is no stigma or legal penalty for bad behavior. It doesn't mean you shouldn't invest, it means to do your research to asses the risk. It's not hard to get a fair deal in México if you approach it from their social context.. jmho.
Old 10-18-13, 07:55 PM   #30
mike99km

mike99km is on a distinguished road

When you are Indo there are always 3 questions you will asked. Where are you from?
The father you came, the more money you have. Where are you staying? Lets them know what you are paying for a nights sleep($). How long are you here for? Sometimes they are looking for a longer term gig. Everything is haggled over. American's will always pay it little more.
Old 10-19-13, 07:46 AM   #31
BajaGringo

Quote:
equal opportunity fleecers. I was hoping the recent transparency forced upon them by the internet would cause some change in corruption and transaction behavior. But there is no shame in scamming a little to get ahead in much of the world, including Mexico. There is no stigma or legal penalty for bad behavior. It doesn't mean you shouldn't invest, it means to do your research to asses the risk. It's not hard to get a fair deal in México if you approach it from their social context.. jmho.
I found that to be pretty common in any tourist area when traveling to third world nations. My wife just reminded me that stores on the north side of the border do a similar thing in a sense: many of them will accept pesos but at an exchange rate of 14/15:1

I suppose it's human nature...

Old 10-21-13, 04:21 PM   #32
Apgoee

Apgoee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow - not to defend the practice but do you walk around with an "I am a victim" sign on your forehead? ...
Really? Oh I got it, Your in San Quintin.........
Old 10-21-13, 05:22 PM   #33
DENNIS

Quote:

many of them will accept pesos but at an exchange rate of 14/15:1

I suppose it's human nature...
Sounds reasonable to me. By the time the business gets their accumulated Pesos to the bank, they have no idea what the Tipo will be.

Sounds like they're just trying to discourage Peso purchases. Their choice.
Old 10-22-13, 08:51 AM   #34
BajaGringo

Quote:
Sounds reasonable to me. By the time the business gets their accumulated Pesos to the bank, they have no idea what the Tipo will be.

Sounds like they're just trying to discourage Peso purchases. Their choice.
I agree and actually it works both ways. I know business owners down here who hate taking dollars anymore with the new money laundering laws that limit the cash dollar deposits.

Old 10-22-13, 06:49 PM   #35
DENNIS

Quote:

I agree and actually it works both ways. I know business owners down here who hate taking dollars anymore with the new money laundering laws that limit the cash dollar deposits.

Yeah....I also remember years back when the junk stores on Lopez Mateos in Ensenada wouldn't take Mexican money.
How the world does change.
Old 10-23-13, 08:41 AM   #36
BajaGringo

Quote:
Yeah....I also remember years back when the junk stores on Lopez Mateos in Ensenada wouldn't take Mexican money.
How the world does change.
Mainland Mexico has always treated the peninsula like its bastard son. The peninsula has never felt truly like a part of Mexico in many ways and it was only because Mexico forced them to start accepting pesos - when was that, back in the early-mid 90's?

Curious that today there is a strong and growing movement to break off the peninsula from Mexico. It started on twitter and facebook but has grown enough to be mentioned on Mexico mainstream, nightly news.

Old attitudes are often hard to break...

Old 10-23-13, 01:09 PM   #37
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Economists have a word for the dual-pricing system you are describing: 'price discrimination'. And, believe it or not, price discrimination is practiced and has been accepted across the USA for generations. Before anyone gets all upset about the use of the word discrimination, keep in mind that this is perfectly legal--you can change your socio-economic status much easier than you can change you skin color, gender, religion, etc.

Examples of common and accepted price discrimination that most anyone can find easily:
A) discounted lunch menus at restaurants
B) discounted matinees at the cinema
C) coupons (or 'student discounts')
D) Happy hour drink specials
E) Free admittance to museums on a specific day, such as Monday.

Why are lunch menus, matinees, and happy hour specials discounted? The costs of input are the same at noon as they are at 8 pm, right? Same thing for musuem tickets and student discounts--why offer a discount to some shoppers, but not all shoppers? And why should the price of a beer change according to the time of day?

The retailers have established that some people are more ready, willing and able to pay more than others. Usually, these large(r) spenders people are at work during the day and do not have the free time to have lunch at a restaurant, enjoy a matinee, leave work for a cheaper beer, find the time to clip coupons or take off Monday to go to the museum. Seniors, young adults and students share many traits--flexible time schedule and lower budgets which are extrapolated to be a proxy for ability to pay. Therefore they are charged less. Those without flexible hours are discriminated against and must pay a higher price.

Now, the manner of price discrimination in the USA is a bit more subtle, or perhaps simply not questioned as when it is encountered in Mexico. In Mexico they don't look at the clock to determine price--they look at your perceived ability to pay and this is derived from the language you speak. It may not seem 'fair', but is it fair that an American can work hard and have a nice standard of living, whereas someone from the third world can work just as hard, (or harder!) and still have a crappy standard of living?

I've been waaay overcharged for many things, most notably in Egypt, Zimbabwe and Russia. The museums charged locals a fraction of what I had to pay. Drove me nuts. From what I've heard the same is practiced in India. I believe that Mexico charges everyone the same entrance prices to museums, so fortunately it's not institutionalized.

There are three ways to approach dual-pricing reality after you have identified it:

1) Pay the little bit extra and call it 'international aid'. Usually it's money going into a hard working person's pocket, not a corrupt government official or a person in a position of power. (I remember driving through the Valle de Guadalupe and there was a guy selling food from a push cart. My wife wanted to try what he was selling, so we bought some but afterwards she felt like we had paid too much. I have no idea what the locals would have paid, but I do know that the 20 MXN the vendor got meant a whole lot more to him than to us.)

2) Educate yourself as to the local prices and negotiate. If you know that you have gotten the local rate, thank the person and consider spending more money there (not always possible).

3) Do not consume their good and services. Do not spend your money there.

Whining about it won't change anything but it will make you feel like an unhappy victim.
Old 11-04-13, 10:35 AM   #38
Edward Teach

Edward Teach is on a distinguished road

Quote:

PS - By the way, the same "Gringo Tax" occurs in Panama:
Good grief, the Chinese have been doing it for years in Vancouver! Talk about gall...move to a country AND charge your new hosts a higher price? Better to go to a Chinese restaurant in Vancouver with a Chinese person and let them order.

I'm starting to wonder if the common denominator is Whites are dumb...