Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 08-01-13, 09:01 AM   #21
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tecate crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeflyer8
Good morning David,
I am understanding that the longest stretch with gas is from Jesus Maria to Santa Rosalia, some 200+ miles. Is this true? Or is there barrel gas for sale? The Harley won't make the 200+ miles on a tank of gas. Something tells me I don't want to be hanging out on the side of the road with no gas! :) Trying to get gas stops figured out. Also how about how far from Mexico 1 turnoff to Bahia Asuncion? And is there gas there?
Thank you for all of your help to make my journey more memorable!
Alan

The 'dry stretch' is between EL ROSARIO and VILLA JESUS MARIA... and there is gas for sale from independent vendors at Cataviña (76 miles from El Rosario) and the Bahia de los Angeles junction (60 miles from Cataviña). As mentioned, there are Pemex stations at Bahia de los Angeles, 40 miles east on a paved side road... at a location you should see if you have not been before! The independent vendors sell gas from cans at about $1.50 a gallon over Pemex prices, however you do get a true amount as it is quite visual how much is in a 5 gallon can! The 'last' Pemex before the dry stretch (in El Rosario) does have honest pumps, so top off there, in any case! El Rosario is about 225 miles from the border.

Villa Jesus Maria to Santa Rosalia has many stations: Paralelo 28 (Eagle Monument/ State Border), Guerrero Negro, Vizcaino and San Ignacio.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my July 2012 Trip Report... Bahia Asuncion to Hwy. 1 at Vizcaino:

I made a road log, starting at Shari and Juan’s Bed & Breakfast on the west side of the point at Bahia Asuncion:

00.0 Juan & Shari’s 10:36am
00.9 Fork at fisherman monument, in town.
01.1 Miramar Market, Gas Pump
01.2 Police Station, Curvina Street (road to San Roque)
01.4 Divided street, Campo Sirena access.
01.7 End divided street, town entrance.
04.7 (Km.34) Road to Punta Prieta, La Bocana, Punta Abreojos
25.2 (Km.0) Junction with Vizcaino-Bahia Tortugas highway 11:05am. Turn east.
70.0 Vizcaino at Highway #1 12:00pm. Gas station is 0.3 mile to the north.