General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 05-18-14, 12:06 PM   #21
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New trouble for US marine caught entering Mexico with guns...

It's hard to believe that as a Marine he didn't spend any time at Pendleton and know full well all the in's and out's of going to T J.
Old 05-18-14, 04:22 PM   #22
Doc Rey

Doc Rey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
It's hard to believe that as a Marine he didn't spend any time at Pendleton and know full well all the in's and out's of going to T J.
I spent 13 mo. with 1st Recon Bn @ Pendleton. Being from L.A., my leaves always took me northbound. Never went to T.J. once. Different strokes.
Old 05-18-14, 07:53 PM   #23
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Rey View Post
I spent 13 mo. with 1st Recon Bn @ Pendleton. Being from L.A., my leaves always took me northbound. Never went to T.J. once. Different strokes.
That may be but it has already been documented now that Andrew made numerous trips south to Tijuana before this event. His girlfriend was from Tijuana.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-19-14, 07:56 PM   #24
Doc Rey

Doc Rey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo View Post
That may be but it has already been documented now that Andrew made numerous trips south to Tijuana before this event. His girlfriend was from Tijuana.
Just a reply to J.P.'s comment about trips south.
Old 05-20-14, 07:58 AM   #25
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe he was thinking about "her" when driving ... just saying, women do have an effect on the male of the species, both physiologically and psychologically ...

You guy's out there should remember in the distant past .... how that was, when you were young and hooking up ... I hope
Old 05-20-14, 06:19 PM   #26
TacosDePescado

TacosDePescado is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He's from Florida and had only been in the San Diego area for two weeks. Probably never been near Pendleton. News accounts said that he was recently diagnosed with PTSD at the VA center in La Jolla.

It also turns out that he's been in Tijuana six times. His lawyer told him to lie about that and now it's come out, which is another issue working against him.

I hope they can strike a deal and get this guy back to the states. Right now evidently his hearing is on May 28 and everyone pretty much has to wait for that.

Does anyone know where his hearing is? Might be interesting to go up there and see what's going on.
Old 05-20-14, 06:39 PM   #27
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosDePescado View Post
I hope they can strike a deal and get this guy back to the states. Right now evidently his hearing is on May 28 and everyone pretty much has to wait for that.

Does anyone know where his hearing is? Might be interesting to go up there and see what's going on.
I also hope that a deal gets worked out but the more anti-Mexico noise from NOB only prolongs that possibility. This isn't Mexico's fault - it was Andrew's and although we don't know what his intentions were, we need to let the Mexican system of law run its course. There are a lot of eyes on this and all we can do is stand by and wait for now.

I've read that his case is going to handled by the court at La Mesa, where he was initially incarcerated. This isn't like US court with open hearings. You will not be allowed inside as it will take place in a small office with attorneys, clerks and Andrew facing them from a connecting hallway behind bars.

Old 05-20-14, 08:29 PM   #28
J.P.

Very true about the hearing, most likely the results of the hearing will not be forthcoming that day. Quite possibly could be held up for quite a while depending on the amount of saber rattling coming from the north. It amazes me the number of uninformed people that have absolutely no concept of the laws in Mexico.
Old 05-21-14, 04:02 PM   #29
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Andrew admitted taking the three guns into Mexico. That is the crime he is being charged with, not if he had crossed before or had a girlfriend he visited in TJ several times, or tried to cover himself with a 911 call after the fact. We always complain when Mexico screws things up and here we have people demanding an exception to the law be made for him. IMHO they should give him the sentence for carrying the guns across and then the USA can negotiate for transfer to a military prison stateside for PTSD treatment. Mexico doesn't have the death penalty but imho jail time in Mexico for Andrew would be a death sentence. But let Mexico work when it works.

Besides, Americans are prevented from protesting in Mexico.
Old 05-22-14, 05:49 AM   #30
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh View Post
Andrew admitted taking the three guns into Mexico. That is the crime he is being charged with, not if he had crossed before or had a girlfriend he visited in TJ several times, or tried to cover himself with a 911 call after the fact. We always complain when Mexico screws things up and here we have people demanding an exception to the law be made for him. IMHO they should give him the sentence for carrying the guns across and then the USA can negotiate for transfer to a military prison stateside for PTSD treatment. Mexico doesn't have the death penalty but imho jail time in Mexico for Andrew would be a death sentence. But let Mexico work when it works.

Besides, Americans are prevented from protesting in Mexico.
The young ex military guy who was in jail in Matamoros, "Tahmooressi’s situation parallels that of a another Florida Marine veteran who was held for four months in a Mexican border prison in 2012 for carrying an antique shotgun in his motor home on his way to surf in Costa Rica. A media uproar and pressure from U.S. legislators helped win the freedom of that Marine, Jon Hammar, who grew up in Miami."

This guy declared the shotgun on both sides of the border he claims but Mexico claims he did not [didn´t drive through the "Something to Declare Lane" even] and ICE officers say he did before entering get it declared to them, and spent over 4 months in jail but was eventually deported. In a news article by CNN USA they stated his offence for 1 gun [one count] máximum sentence was 5 years in jail in Mexico. Tahmooressi´s charged with 3 counts ,one for each gun.

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 05-22-14 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 06:48 AM   #31
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

I suppose your point is Mexico made a previous exception in their gun law enforcement for that other Marine. However- one gun was an inoperable antique rifle that could not be fired (carried with no ammo) while the most recent case shows a marine with a virtual arsenal. EACH BULLET you see in that photo carries years in prison in addition to the guns themselves.

If I were to take the very rare position of defending Mexico for using common sense, I would say the Judge in the antique rifle case gave that marine a break because the gun was inoperable. It was still a gun and he served a shorter sentence that reflected it. After sentencing I see no problem negotiating, it's before sentencing I personally see it as interference in their system.
Old 05-22-14, 09:04 AM   #32
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh View Post
I suppose your point is Mexico made a previous exception in their gun law enforcement for that other Marine. However- one gun was an inoperable antique rifle that could not be fired (carried with no ammo) while the most recent case shows a marine with a virtual arsenal. EACH BULLET you see in that photo carries years in prison in addition to the guns themselves.

If I were to take the very rare position of defending Mexico for using common sense, I would say the Judge in the antique rifle case gave that marine a break because the gun was inoperable. It was still a gun and he served a shorter sentence that reflected it. After sentencing I see no problem negotiating, it's before sentencing I personally see it as interference in their system.
No I was not comparing apples to oranges in any way. I mentioned 5 years per charge per gun is the máximum, according to CNN US, but do not see where lying to get support in both cases from Americans or political Americans is honest . These guys might be unstable psycologically but aren´t most criminals in jails around the World?

The ex Marine in Matamoros had 29 shells of ammo..

Did you notice the quotation marks in my post? I copied it from an article.

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 05-22-14 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 12:27 PM   #33
J.P.

Quote:
Video from aduana reports that Tahmooressi never stated that he had entered Mexico by mistake when first stopped by customs officials.

Stay tuned...

Ex Marine no ingresó a Mexico por error

I haven't read any where about him maybe facing any charges in Ca. for the Arsenal he was in possession of which as I understand would be illegal to transport.
Old 05-22-14, 07:23 PM   #34
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Would depend on how and where the weapons/ammunition were in his vehicle. There are laws in California that state ammunition and weapons must be separated by physical means. One in car, the other in trunk.

If the pistol was loaded and/or if the rifle and/or shotgun were loaded these would be violations. Additionally, the location of the pistol in the vehicle may be a violation

Regarding the rifle, in California,a general rule is that possession of a 30 round magazine (even without a weapon) is illegal. A weapon with a flash hider, a pistol grip and a detachable magazine (without a special tool) is also illegal in California, and the rifle may have had to be registered with California DOJ.

Just because he was (assuming) legal with the weapons in Florida, doesn't cut it in California.

For any misdemeanor violations, since they didn't happen in the presence of a California Law Enforcement officer, no charges. For felony violations, all that is needed is reasonable cause that a violation occurred, even if it did not happen in the presence of an officer.

There are no restrictions on how much ammo a person can have

Other than that, your mileage may vary.....it's been 31 years since I was a California Peace Officer so I may be rusty on a few of the details.

Quote:

I haven't read any where about him maybe facing any charges in Ca. for the Arsenal he was in possession of which as I understand would be illegal to transport.
Old 05-22-14, 07:48 PM   #35
BajaGringo

I have family in LE and they tell me pretty much the same story. I read that he was driving a Ford F150 pickup so if indeed the guns were loaded it would be a crime in California as the pickup has no trunk, unless they let you count a locked toolbox in the bed as trunk???

Old 05-22-14, 08:01 PM   #36
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

If I ran across that situation, I would give him the benefit of the doubt as he would have to get out of the truck and unlock the toolbox to get the ammo,,,,,,,,similar to being in the trunk
Old 05-22-14, 08:11 PM   #37
BajaGringo

Now the question is did Andrew have the loaded weapons in a locked toolbox in the bed or inside the truck with him???