Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 01-05-10, 01:07 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post 29 killed, including two police, in Mexico attacks (AFP)

AFP - A total of 29 people were killed in 24 hours in Mexico's northern state of Chihuahua, including two state police officers and six women, local authorities said.

Drug-linked violence has spiked in Mexico in the past three years, with more than 15,000 killed despite a government crackdown on organized crime involving some 50,000 security forces.

A group of six attackers killed two state police in a hail of bullets Monday as they left a car body shop, according to the deputy prosecutor's office of Chihuahua State, across from Texas in the United States.

The killings, along with 13 others in separate attacks, occurred in the Ciudad Juarez, the country's most violent city.

The victims included a female activist who had led protests against alleged rights abuses perpetrated by police and military deployed to fight organized crime.

Fourteen others were killed in other parts of the state, which lies on key drug routes for trafficking into the United States.

More...
Old 01-06-10, 10:56 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 29 killed, including two police, in Mexico attacks (AFP)

I have been a general supporter of Calderon but over time and rising number of dead I am slowly changing my opinions on this drug war. The high price in cost of lives is being paid by Mexico, with the support of some money and a few helicopters from the USA, who really wants to keep this fight south of the border.

I truly believe that Mexico's best bet is to call a truce, arrange a meeting of the families, divide up the territory and provide approved (protected) routes for their products to the border, charge taxes for the product volume and government services and then just let the USA decide how it wants to deal with it since the real problem lies in USA territory - a nver ending demand for drugs.

If Calderon continues on this path in Mexico's version of Viet-Nam, he will certainly guarantee that the next resident in Los Pinos is not a candidate from his own PAN party IMHO...