Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Montezumas Revenge

Montezumas Revenge is on a distinguished road

Default The Newer New Guy

Hi there fellow Baja Enthusiast retirees and Explorers,
My name is Jeff I am currently living in Michigan about a hour and a half north of Detroit. I was born and raised in So Cal. An ex Baja weekend warrior, I took many trips with my parents to Baja as kid growing up. I used to have a place in Costa Brava near Colonial Vicente Guerrero north of San Quintin. As I was growing up we fished the peninsula from the Coronado Islands to the East Cape to San Felipe. San Quintin area became my specialty though during the 90's. Used to be a member of the Vagabundos Del Mar also. I hope to get to know each and everyone here as I may get a chance to meet or run into you down there in the near future. I am moving back to Southern California this Spring and have plans to head to San Quintin to look for property and move back to run a charter business and fishing lure company/tackle supply there. So here to a new year and new friendships. I found this site by way of google when looking for my close family friend RIP Bajamur Murray E. Carver.
By the way if you read this Bajagringo I fell in love with your pics of San Martin you made me so home sick, I love this site. Thank you.

Jeff
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

Montezumas Revenge
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The Newer New Guy

Welcome Jeff, hope you enjoy participating in the forum.
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome Jeff and thanks for the nice comments. Hope to see you down here sometime soon...
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, newguy Jeff!

BajaNuts

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

This may just be the first time I ever saw people welcoming Montezuma's Revenge!
Montezumas Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
This may just be the first time I ever saw people welcoming Montezuma's Revenge!
Lol I know right, we used to get kick out of the look on peoples faces in San Quintin when they ask. "What is the name of your boat? we reply, Montezuma's Revenge" We would either get a good laugh or a frown as they think of the meaning. But hey some people would, stain themselves if they seen the breakers on the way out on a good south swell there in SQ lol. Don,t need to drink the water to mess up the trousers there sometimes. Luckily this Montezuma's Revenge is a kinder gentler kind that wont make ya brown or hershey the pantalones.
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Welcome Jeff, hope you are thawed out by spring.. any thoughts about the Asian Carp?
BajaGringo

Ever try a beach launch off the Pacific side facing San Martin Island? If you can manage it you have only a 10 minute ride out to the island vs 60-90 minutes from El Molino. I don't recommend it to the faint of heart...

Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

If your boat's faster than the waves are...

if the skipper is way seasoned; maybe even a surfer...

then depending on the swell you could probably scout a lull big enough to scoot out through.

For sure don't gun it if a big one is anywhere close to standing up. Make a u-turn and lead the white water in until it is small enough to make it over after another u-turn just seaward of the one in front of it.

Then maintain position and scout for a better lull.

Or to hell with all this complicated lecturing; GUN IT!!!
Attached Images

BajaGringo

Along the coast here where we live, it also helps (a little) to know where all the rocks are...

Montezumas Revenge

I am designing a new MR boat as the original was destroyed on the way home in 95 from SQ I'm in the process of designing a Panga of my own design. Something that 75hp or 90hp will give it enough but not too much speed for what I need. As for launching from the Pacific side I have always wanted to do it but my father was always against it. I tried once from Bahia San Ramon 14 miles north with a 19 ft boat that had the original engine from the first MR. It was a nice launch, though my father got mad as hell that I had not told him I was doing it. Lol, like my mom told him you trained him and gave him the bug that makes him tick. It was an awesome ride out but coming in was the tricky part as I never had beached a boat before that's what pissed my dad off the most. He wanted to be there to teach me how school of hard knock style, but being me and with my friends. I got a crazy hair up my butt and my friend Murray RIP (BajaMur) had encouraged me to try. Dad seen me surfing the boat back in through the waves and he got a good laugh as he hadn't seen my scared browning my pants face since I was a kid learning how to go out of the breakers for the first time. Only reason I had that face was I didn't want to lose this boat in the surf wasn't worried about getting my butt handed to me by my dad just not being able to go fishing on my own boat. Most people fear death or other things like going to hell, I fear not being able to fish. I'm that into it.

I would like to launch a boat from the area Bajagringo mentioned very much even better get a place near there. Or even in the bay like near Fitzgerald's or in Bahia Falsa.

By the way Gunning it is the one of my favorite things to do if it looks good. I have had my good days in the surf surfing the breakers with the old MR ( Montezumas Revenge) and the Casador Del Mar my 19 ft that replaced the MR.
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

I've beach launched my 14' gregor quite a few times and it can get a little onerous.
Timing is everything!
That picture of the whaler reminds me of bouncing all the way back from the bay well south of Punta Banda back around the corner to Villarino's. I looked at my buddy boater about an 1/8 mile off my starboard as I was pacing him and he was getting air all the time.......
Another time surfing in at La Salina when the harbor mouth was at about two feet and the waves were around 12-15.....rode the back of one in and it was like settling into the harbor on a pillow.
My stomach gets a little queesy just thinking about that day.,.....
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Off Petacalco(Guerrero); just a few years ago.

http://www.travelingsurfers.com/imag...ico/index.html

What a tragedy it was to lose that place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petacalcobottomturn.jpg

Views:	205

Size:	55.3 KB

ID:	1452  
Montezumas Revenge

Wow Marty that first pic reminds me of Astoria my father got me up there one time and one time only. I know the waves aren't the same in the pic but just the feel looking at that pic. Brought back some memories oh boy. I was looking at the Doppler and the Satellite tonight looks like yall got a little more headed your way in the areas south of Tijuana to San Quintin.