Visas for travel and living in Baja California, Mexico FMM / FM3 / FM2 / Mexican Citizenship?

Old 06-04-09, 02:28 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default How to Legally Marry a Mexican Citizen in Mexico

You must visit any National Institute of Migration office or delegation and apply for authorization to marry a Mexican citizen. Here is a link to a Directory of Offices.

The requisites are as follows:

* Valid migration document of the foreign national.

* Valid passport, if the foreign national is in Mexico as a tourist.

* Proof of payment of duties (payments can be made at any bank. The National Institute of Migration does not receive payments).

* Letter to the National Institute of Migration, signed by both parties, containing a sworn statement that neither of them have any legal impediment to marrying, indicating the number of the filing office or registry office where the marriage is to be celebrated, state, municipality, and city or town where it is located, and intended date of the marriage.

* Document accrediting the Mexican party's nationality.

* Valid official identification of the Mexican party.

* If one or both parties are minors, original parental permission granted by the parents or guardians or emancipation document, duly legalized.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 11-08-11, 11:59 PM   #2
fjack1588

fjack1588 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to Legally Marry a Mexican Citizen in Mexico

I just got married to a Mexican citizen in ¨Puerto Vallarta. It was a bit of a deal. I note the following

1: I needed an "apostille" copy of my birth certificate. I got this from one of the many services for this when I was in the US ands this cost me about $100 US. (Other services were asking 50% or more that this): Then I had to have a translation of this birth certificate into Spanish. This had to be done by one of several city licensed official translators. This translation cost around eighty dollars.

2. My wife needed her birth certificate and her government health card.

3 We both had to have blood tests and cursory physicals. It was helpful for this exam/interview that I had with me my international shot card.

4. We had to watch (and pay for) a half hour video on marriage.

5. I needed a document from Immigration affirming my immigration/visa status. Tjhis cost too, some 3000 pesos if I recall correctly.
Old 11-09-11, 09:33 PM   #3
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

Now that the marriage is complete what about the legality and can you list them as a dependent on your US taxes if you were married in Mexico? Anyone know?
Old 11-14-11, 04:09 PM   #4
fjack1588

Good question on the US taxes! Duh, I did not even occur to me!
But, one of the reasons I got married to my woman was so she might be able to receive survirors benefits from my pension. So, at leas that occured to me!

Last edited by fjack1588; 11-19-11 at 08:56 PM. Reason: i before e except after c
Old 11-15-11, 07:50 PM   #5
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

guess not
Old 11-19-11, 08:53 PM   #6
fjack1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Arizona
Now that the marriage is complete what about the legality and can you list them as a dependent on your US taxes if you were married in Mexico? Anyone know?
I just checked the IRS web site and it appears that you can file jointly or separately with your foreign spouse, but the nonresident alien spouse must obtain a SSN or Taxpayer ID. One can start on this by going to the local US consulate. One will need papers affirming the spouse's age, identity etc There is a three year window for filing an ammended return reflecting the changed status (from singly to married).

PS These forums are great. I first checked in here for info on buying a car. Now I have some important new info!