Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 02-25-10, 04:28 PM   #21
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: How dangerous is Mexico?

There's a certain "chicken or egg" thing involved here. I'll not go into the whole idea that there's some skepticism over who authorized and who paid for this. However, as has been mentioned many times before, given that so much of this system was designed to provide a certain amount of security for tourists visiting Tijuana, that day has passed. Crime could be eliminated tomorrow. but the US passport requirement simply eliminates a huge number of day-trippers, and extemporaneous travelers. If the US government feels that having a passport is somehow a major deterrent to crime passing Northbound, they need to change their medication. I have proposed it before. Since we already have an immense amount of resources at the border, why can't our guys implement some sort of day pass program or for maybe 72 hours, where a government issued photo ID would allow one access to the border zone without needing a passport. With the computerization of all these records, they would be able to conduct a daily reconciliation. I just really don't think people have understood the toll taken by the passport requirement.
Old 02-25-10, 06:09 PM   #22
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Yeah- I agree the USA pretty much screwed Mexico on this one. I've had agents at San Ysidro let me across with a CostCo card and CA Drivers license as recently as two weeks ago (rushed and forgot the passport). A lot of agents think it's all BS- an American doesn't need a passport to enter his own country. Yeah, you could spend some time proving your identity at secondary- but they'd let you in. Just tell the spring break college kids that too. Why not? LOL
Old 02-25-10, 07:45 PM   #23
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

There was (is) such hatred between the Hank/PRI and the Ramos/PAN camps that I wouldn't doubt for a moment that the Ramos group took down/did away with the camera idea just because it was identified as a "Hank" program.

And Woooosh - it really is great to see you here...
Old 02-25-10, 09:18 PM   #24
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Old 02-25-10, 10:23 PM   #25
Woooosh

Hey- nice to be here.

If I were the Mayor of TJ- I would run to Costco, pick up this 16 camera, $900 system and give it to the public works to install on the existing poles and control cables. Really.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=
Old 02-25-10, 10:42 PM   #26
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Hey- nice to be here.

If I were the Mayor of TJ- I would run to Costco, pick up this 16 camera, $900 system and give it to the public works to install on the existing poles and control cables. Really.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

Does seem that simple.. what's to study or discuss... just drive over buy, put it on your expense account.. then when the City Council calls you down, you beg their forgiveness, but not their permission ...

Didn't even notice it was your first .... welcome

Last edited by wessongroup; 02-25-10 at 10:47 PM. Reason: the usual
Old 02-25-10, 11:33 PM   #27
Woooosh

oh yeah- like a Gringo installing cameras on the Mexico side of the border fence will go over well.

But why not ask the US Border Patrol to install the webcams on top of their fence? Same chance of success... :)
Old 02-26-10, 07:38 AM   #28
wessongroup

Didn't mean you, rather the Mayor... he goes and buys them.. them pass them out to staff and tells them .. "put them up".. still a rather simple and effect means to achieve the desired goal of all...and a good idea to me... take the middle man out.. just do it!!

Plus, from a political stand point one could not ask for a more visible means to get good press, sway voters and put a positive spin for tourisum on it too .. Seems that showing the Mayor is actively moving on his OWN to protect his "people" and "others" in TJ.. would only get a lot of miles for the individual.. and he don't even have to pay a high priced ad agency for the "idea" you give it to him or someone from your family

Hell, it's a damn good idea... and the bang for the buck... wouldn't get much better than this..

The mayor may not move up the ladder... but TJ might put up a statue of him..

would add, if you noticed they are gone, I would venture a guess that others have noticed also

Last edited by wessongroup; 02-26-10 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 09:45 AM   #29
BajaGringo

Quote:
oh yeah- like a Gringo installing cameras on the Mexico side of the border fence will go over well.
I'll make you a deal Woooosh. You bring the ladder and tools to install them and I'll be driving the get away vehicle standing by with the engine running and door open - just in case.

Then when we're done we'll send Fernando (fdt) to collect on the cameras and our expenses...

Old 02-26-10, 12:46 PM   #30
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I'll make you a deal Woooosh. You bring the ladder and tools to install them and I'll be driving the get away vehicle standing by with the engine running and door open - just in case.

Then when we're done we'll send Fernando (fdt) to collect on the cameras and our expenses...

too funny. I can install those in my sleep, but I've read your posts about your incidents driving near border fences...

I don't know why it is so hard to help Mexico advance. We can't get Rosarito to readily accept the "gift" of our Federal land concession to create central Rosarito's first "locals" beach with free (San Diego styled) public restroom/showers. Yes, it would be the FIRST and only public beach restroom in all of Rosarito. I guess they "want something" more from us for it to happen... even if it's the best present the people of Rosarito have ever been offered. We tell them- "make it your own idea, get the Palacio to form a committee to design and name it, take all the credit (we don't want it)- just make it happen for the people while it's free and available". But nada so far. You'd think it would be a vote-getter for the coming election for sure.

Geesh this country is hard to please. No wonder my Mexican family just watches me, shakes their heads and rolls their eyes when I get disappointed at the reality. I'm their daily "Woooosh Telenovella" I guess...

Last edited by Woooosh; 02-26-10 at 12:48 PM. Reason: my bad typing- as always...
Old 02-26-10, 01:16 PM   #31
wessongroup

Old 02-26-10, 01:21 PM   #32
BajaGringo

I hear you Woooosh. I have run into my share of obstacles including a recent event down here helping to create a new company that will put 20+ folks to work. I have zero financial interest in the company but saw an opportunity to create something worthwhile. The exciting part of it to me is that the folks we are putting to work will own the company 100% and reap all the profits. I am even building their website (for free) as well as helping them manage their eBay store (for free).

Still running into lots of roadblocks trying to get this off the ground. You would think they would welcome the idea in this economy. When I express my frustration Cristina just looks at me, shrugs her shoulders and then reminds me that "así es mi Mexico".

Old 02-26-10, 01:30 PM   #33
Woooosh

Wow. That sound like a worthwhile project that they should embrace. I'm a slow learner on Mexico too. But neither of us is as slow as Mexico itself. It just keeps tripping over itself. They would steal it fast if they could, but never negotiate for it to be given to them for free. They confuse negotiation with weakness I guess. At least we both try...
Old 02-26-10, 02:16 PM   #34
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wow. That sound like a worthwhile project that they should embrace. I'm a slow learner on Mexico too. But neither of us is as slow as Mexico itself. It just keeps tripping over itself. They would steal it fast if they could, but never negotiate for it to be given to them for free. They confuse negotiation with weakness I guess. At least we both try...
Actually, I think you have something there- "Negotiation/ weakness". I think the major gulf between the two countries lies in the fact that Mexico has only recently begun to emerge as a democratic country. For so long, it was the oligarchs that ran things and used patronage and bribery to accomplish their goals. They just don't have the history of the amount of freedom of choice and decision that we have up North. It takes time. Even today, if you visit Germany, there still exists a palpable difference between what was once the West v. the East.