Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 03-06-10, 09:44 AM   #1
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default The Fruits of My Labors....

HOT DAMN!!!! I'd better start looking around for a bushel basket supplier! My little mandarina tree is forming what appears to be a bumper crop of fruit!!

On the other hand, it's neighbor the black fig has spent the past 10 months apparently devoting all its' energies to attaining height, producing leaves....& ONE tiny fig! Go figure!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figgy and Manny (1).jpg

Views:	51

Size:	641.8 KB

ID:	1521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figgie 4-24-09.jpg

Views:	52

Size:	640.7 KB

ID:	1522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figgy (1).jpg

Views:	49

Size:	608.8 KB

ID:	1523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manderina Crop  3-6-10 (6).jpg

Views:	54

Size:	620.3 KB

ID:	1524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manderina Crop  3-6-10 (9).jpg

Views:	54

Size:	627.5 KB

ID:	1525  

Name:	Manderina Crop  3-6-10 (5).jpg

Views:	55

Size:	641.7 KB

ID:	1527  
Old 03-06-10, 11:21 AM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The Fruits of My Labors....

That is really cool... good for you... they appear to be doing just fine.. and you must talk to them too... and I know you do... as they are so healthy..
Old 03-07-10, 12:39 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

Actually, there IS a true explanation about what makes the fig happy & healthy, but nobody believes it!! Despite the fact that my property is on the crest of a hill, there is one area of my yard which has spotty areas of naturally occurring surface water which runs in a fairly straight line in one direction only....and for any of you really logical folks who just happened to notice where the pool is....I already had the same thought & had a worker dig a trench along the end of the pool patio to make sure that it wasn't coming from a potential leak in the pool! The soil a meter down adjacent to the end of the pool is bone dry!! There are no pipes of any kind running through section of the yard. The same areas of the surface soil are wet every morning even in the heat of summer. Fortunately, one of the largest spots was where I wanted to plant the fig tree. I watered it when I originally planted it & once a couple days later & have not watered it since! I don't need to! Unfortunately, the mandarina was planted a tad too far out of line & it does require regular watering.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....I'm also backing it up with pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Natural Surface Water November 11, 2008.jpg

Views:	57

Size:	615.4 KB

ID:	1528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Natural Surface Water November 11, 2008 (1).jpg

Views:	48

Size:	623.5 KB

ID:	1529  
Old 03-07-10, 01:03 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Dump your used coffee grounds around the base of the trees......they really like it and you will soon see the results
Old 03-07-10, 02:07 PM   #5
wessongroup

Well, of course they like water... silly.. but, plants have been studied and it has been found that treating your plants well, (talking to them and they like classical music too) ...along with giving them food and keeping critters away, has been found to greatly increase the development of the plant and it's fruit... and they look happy too...

You know, they can't get up and walk to the OXXO for what they want ....
Old 03-07-10, 02:24 PM   #6
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Hey Legs,
how long does it take to do a lap in that pool?
Old 03-07-10, 02:50 PM   #7
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

I think that's the jacuzzi.

Old 03-07-10, 04:16 PM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

Teniente....I already DO recycle my coffee grounds....they repel ants!! So if my plants are getting an added caffeine kick, that's a bonus...life is good!

Wessongroup....MY plants prefer 60's-70's rock & roll!

Soulpatch....FOREVER! There's no corners to get hung up in! Once you get down here, you'll learn a few Baja facts of life....water conservation is good a good thing to practice & saves you $$. Don't dive into leg's pool...it's only 4' 6" deep!! Also, when it's 105 here for months-on-end, you'll learn it's more important to gauge how long it takes to clean it than how far you can swim in a straight line! And for the record, there is another member here whose got a much smaller pool than mine! It's partially the angle of that pic....pool is actually 23' long, 14' at widest point, 11' in the center & 9' at the narrow end....which is where I swim laps....side-to-side!

Marty....Only when the pump's running!
Old 03-07-10, 04:34 PM   #9
wessongroup

Research supports Marini’s guess. A 2007 paper from scientists at South Korea’s National Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology proposed that two genes involved in a plant’s response to light—known as rbcS and Ald—are turned on by music played at 70 decibels. “This is about the level of a normal conversation,” says Marini. The Korean researchers found differing responses depending on the frequency of the sound. The higher the frequency, the more active was the gene response.

Must be quite interesting around that fig tree.....
Old 03-07-10, 05:06 PM   #10
La Guera

La Guera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz

Despite the fact that my property is on the crest of a hill, there is one area of my yard which has spotty areas of naturally occurring surface water which runs in a fairly straight line in one direction only....
Are you sure that is not your dogs watering the yard???
Old 03-07-10, 05:16 PM   #11
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And for the record, there is another member here whose got a much smaller pool than mine!
Guilty!! Mine is something like 5.50 x 2.50 meters. I think it's a little deeper than Legs's pool, maybe 1.50 meters, but not by much. But hey, it does the job! Besides, if I want to do serious swimming, there's a much larger body of water not far away.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-10, 07:51 PM   #12
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I like small pools kate. Much cheaper to maintain and they don't take up too much space. Not all of us live on large estates like Legz where she can put the pool out on the back 40...

Old 03-07-10, 08:27 PM   #13
longlegsinlapaz

Wessongroup....between the caffeine & the old Rock 'n Roll, my fig really rocks out! No for my fig!

La Guera....I'm positive it's not the dogs, they have their own private section of the yard....and that ain't it!

Kate....I hoped you'd post your pool....thanks for shoring up my credibility!

BG....you're talking my back 40 FEET....right? I did buy a 40x40 meter lot, but I just built on 20x40 & someday, if someone comes along who fulfills two prerequisites....cash AND I'd want them for a neighbor, I'll sell the other 20x40 piece! BG, please STOP spreading the rumor that phone number on the sign was the price of my land! Me thinks your property in SQ is more than 800 sq meters!
Old 03-07-10, 08:35 PM   #14
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

BG, please STOP spreading the rumor that phone number on the sign was the price of my land! Me thinks your property in SQ is more than 800 sq meters!
Just by a smidgen...

Old 03-07-10, 09:44 PM   #15
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I did buy a 40x40 meter lot, but I just built on 20x40 & someday, if someone comes along who fulfills two prerequisites....cash AND I'd want them for a neighbor, I'll sell the other 20x40 piece!
Hey, how about me? Imagine the possibilities ... we could combine our little pools into a big pool, make a bigger dog yard with more dogs ... it would be just like living in a condo!!
Old 03-08-10, 01:11 AM   #16
longlegsinlapaz

BG....how many acres are there in a smidgen? That's one of those things we probably learned in school....like 12" to a foot, 3' to a yard, but I musta been absent on smidgen day!

Kate....CONDO??? More dogs??? Gee, sounds really interesting, too bad you love the excitement & vibrancy of living downtown! It'd be way to dull & boring for you waaaaay out here!
Old 03-08-10, 08:26 AM   #17
La Guera

That 20X40 lot sounds great. My uncle poncho needs a place to park his trailer. And I hope you like dogs. He used to have a lot of dogs but we finally convinced him that 30 dogs was too many. He took our advice thank God and now only has 25. Will you provide hookups for his trailer too?

We are still working on hit cat "problem" but he can't seem to let any of them go. But you like cats, right? You can talk with him about his antique Ford Pinto car collection after he moves in.
Old 03-08-10, 08:56 AM   #18
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[[fulfills two prerequisites....cash AND I'd want them for a neighbor, I'll sell the other 20x40 piece! ]
The former being far easier for anyone to achieve than the latter.

I also have the same damp spots in random places on the lot. Thought maybe it was some type of condensation because it doesn't seem tyo come up from below. Know nada about these things.

Good luck with the figs. Had them NOB. Huge...always cuttin' 'em back. Never got a ripe fig...
birds...not as fussy about waiting for tree ripened fruit.
Old 03-08-10, 10:09 AM   #19
longlegsinlapaz

Kate & La Guera....I'm seriously thinking now about just keeping the land & turning it into a Rare Baja Rock & Weed sanctuary! I'll post admission fees as soon as I get that all sorted out!

dusty....I had fig trees NOB too....one in WA & one in OR & I got fruit off them! I do plan to keep this tree at a "manageable" size....once it gets up to about 7-8'....it gets a crew-cut! I figure if I could produce ripe fruit in COLD, WET, RAINY country, then it oughta be a snap here. Famous last words!

And one would think you knew me....you certainly nailed it on the head with "the latter" comment!
Old 03-09-10, 07:51 PM   #20
La Guera

That is disappointing. I was hoping to find somewhere (else) to send him as he seems intent on wanting to come down to stay with me. He keeps telling me I need to have a man around the house. If you knew my tio poncho you would know that he is about as brave as Barney Fife.