General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-16-10, 09:54 PM   #1
Gaucho

Gaucho is on a distinguished road

Default Where are the "most honest" Pemex stations?

I'm heading to San Ignacio and Mulege in a few weeks w/ the family.

Can anybody tell me where the "most honest" Pemex stations are around El Rosario and GN? I'm pretty sure DK touched on this in an earlier thread but I can't find it. How's the station in Jesus Maria? Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 03-17-10, 04:09 PM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Where are the "most honest" Pemex stations?

This was discussed ad nauseum on that other website. But for the idea that no one wants to get ripped off, when someone is on vacation, they expect to spend money. I appreciate the idea that people join a site like this to assist them as they either travel or live in Baja. But, at the end of the day, losing half a buck to an unscrupulous Pemex station wouldn't keep me from sleeping that night.
Old 03-17-10, 04:30 PM   #3
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho
I'm heading to San Ignacio and Mulege in a few weeks w/ the family.

Can anybody tell me where the "most honest" Pemex stations are around El Rosario and GN? I'm pretty sure DK touched on this in an earlier thread but I can't find it. How's the station in Jesus Maria? Any recommendations would be appreciated!
El Rosario is 220 miles from the border and that is perhaps the most honest station in Mexico... accurate pumps and fair exchange rate. The owner is 'BajaCactus' on the Internet and he goes out of his way to assist travelers... a very nice man, Antonio Muñoz.

The next Pemex south is at Villa Jesus Maria 200 miles from El Rosario, or Bahia de los Angeles (41 miles east of Hwy. 1, on a side hwy.). Using pesos will give you a better price per gallon (liter) south of El Rosario.

The next pemex south that seems honest is the one next to the harbor in Santa Rosalia... as you enter town, it will be the second one on the left, southbound.

The next Pemex that rates high is in Loreto, and it is not on the entrance road, but in the middle of town on the north side... between the hwy. and the coast... sorry, don't have better directions. It is where locals buy their gas.
Old 03-17-10, 04:56 PM   #4
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey! Antonio is a real standup guy. But to rate his station as the most honest does a disservice to many other reputable dealers. That said, I believe the Pemex you refer to in Loreto is on Salvatierra a few blocks East of Domingo's Place and Hacienda Suites. On the right.
Old 03-18-10, 09:33 PM   #5
Gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
This was discussed ad nauseum on that other website. But for the idea that no one wants to get ripped off, when someone is on vacation, they expect to spend money. I appreciate the idea that people join a site like this to assist them as they either travel or live in Baja. But, at the end of the day, losing half a buck to an unscrupulous Pemex station wouldn't keep me from sleeping that night.
I don't like to be ripped off anywhere I go and I've been alot of places. You got me thinking though...It's not about the money. It's about being ripped off. I'd rather risk coasting in on vapors to Antonio's Pemex in El Rosario than give some crook in San Quintin my hard earned pesos.
Old 03-18-10, 09:38 PM   #6
Gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
El Rosario is 220 miles from the border and that is perhaps the most honest station in Mexico... accurate pumps and fair exchange rate. The owner is 'BajaCactus' on the Internet and he goes out of his way to assist travelers... a very nice man, Antonio Muñoz.

The next Pemex south is at Villa Jesus Maria 200 miles from El Rosario, or Bahia de los Angeles (41 miles east of Hwy. 1, on a side hwy.). Using pesos will give you a better price per gallon (liter) south of El Rosario.

The next pemex south that seems honest is the one next to the harbor in Santa Rosalia... as you enter town, it will be the second one on the left, southbound.

The next Pemex that rates high is in Loreto, and it is not on the entrance road, but in the middle of town on the north side... between the hwy. and the coast... sorry, don't have better directions. It is where locals buy their gas.
Thanks David! Very useful info, I appreciate it. Looks like lunch at Mama Espinosa's and a fill up!
Old 03-19-10, 12:09 PM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I have asked around in San Quintin and as far as I know there aren't any issues with "irregular" pumps here - trust me that if there were you would see all the locals avoiding a particular station. That just doesn't seem to be the case as the local fishermen use lots of gasoline for their pangas and watch that expense very closely.

If there was such an issue here in years past I haven't heard about it. I usually fill up at the Pemex at the stoplight in Lazaro Cardenas, just east of the HSBC.
Old 03-19-10, 01:44 PM   #8
Gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I have asked around in San Quintin and as far as I know there aren't any issues with "irregular" pumps here - trust me that if there were you would see all the locals avoiding a particular station. That just doesn't seem to be the case as the local fishermen use lots of gasoline for their pangas and watch that expense very closely.

If there was such an issue here in years past I haven't heard about it. I usually fill up at the Pemex at the stoplight in Lazaro Cardenas, just east of the HSBC.
Great info, thanks BG. By the way, will you be in SQ on Sat. 4/3?
Old 03-19-10, 02:21 PM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I should be around - drop me a line with your itinerary. Are you staying the night here in San Quintin or in El Rosario?
Old 03-19-10, 03:07 PM   #10
Gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I should be around - drop me a line with your itinerary. Are you staying the night here in San Quintin or in El Rosario?
Either El Rosario or Catavina, "the jury is still out". I'll let you know.