Baja Kitchen & Bar Recipes Kahlua, Cactus, Tequila, Hot Sauce and a Cuisinart

Old 06-08-09, 08:16 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Baja Fried Rice

Baja Fried Rice

Okay, here goes. I am going to share one of my favorite recipes! After trying this you won't believe how simple yet delicious this really is.

Always on the lookout for a different spin on the ordinary, an alternative to Spanish Rice occurred to me one day in my kitchen. The result is this zesty recipe that has become one of my most requested dishes. Chinese Fried Rice has always been a personal favorite and I thought why not try it with a Mexican Flair? My friends and family love it and have tried unsuccessfully to get the recipe out of me for years.

It is one of my most requested dishes and the great thing about this recipe is that I never make it exactly the same way twice. The following is the BASIC RECIPE and you can get creative once you get it down. Here’s what you will need to get started:

Equipment
wok or deep frying pan
large bamboo or teflon spatula

Main Ingredients
½ lb. Spanish Chorizo (Chorizo Español), diced
1 large white onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
½ cup green peas
2 cups cooked rice (allow to chill)

BajaGringo’s Fried Rice Seasoning
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. Dehydrated Onion Flakes

Instructions
Mix the seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. Dice the chorizo into one quarter inch cubes and fire up the wok. On medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and once the oil simmers add the diced onions and chorizo. Lightly brown the onions and chorizo and then add an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons of cooking oil to the wok. Turn the heat up to medium-high and slowly work the cooked rice into the wok, turning it over to ensure all of the rice is lightly coated. Heat for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat and turn the rice a few times, until the rice begins to brown. Add the BajaGringo Fried Rice Seasoning you prepared and work the seasoning into the rice with your spatula.

Turn the heat down to medium, add the diced red, green and yellow bell peppers in addition to the green peas to the rice and blend in with your spatula. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes, turning the rice occasionally and then turn the heat down to medium low. Add salt to taste, cover the wok for another 2 to 3 minutes and then remove from the heat. Sometimes I like to add some thinly sliced red onions to the top of the rice before serving, which makes a very attractive and colorful dish on your table.

You can experiment by substituting your favorite stir fry vegetables as well as adding chicken, beef, shrimp, pork and even diced fried egg. If you don’t want to go to the trouble of having to pre-cook the rice, or if you are on a tight schedule you can just buy some cooked rice in the frozen section (which probably comes with vegetables).

Baja Fried Rice goes great with any Mexican dish and to top it off I suggest you accompany your meal with one of my Classic Cadillac Margaritas!

Treat your friends and family to my "Baja Fried Rice".

Enjoy - Provecho!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-08-09, 08:51 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Baja Fried Rice

Sounds really good, Ron. I made note of the recipe when I first saw it and I'm going to give it a try. I love good fried rice and pretty much judge a Chinese restaurant on their fried rice and egg foo yung [young?]. For some reason, the stateside restaurants have it all over the ones here in Baja in the rice and EFY departments, the ones I've tried anyway.
Thanks again.
Old 06-08-09, 09:26 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Baja Fried Rice

You're welcome Dennis. I am like you in that to me the rice is key. One great thing about this recipe is that you can get real creative, adding just about anything you find leftover in the fridge to add flavor / color to the rice.

Well, almost anything. Maybe I should take a look at your fridge first...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic