General Classified Ads Non-Real Estate / Vehicle - Sell Your Fishing Gear, Weather Gauge or Solar Panels

Old 03-19-10, 09:00 PM   #1
Blue Heaven Park

Blue Heaven Park is on a distinguished road

Default BMW Y VW THING FOR SALE

NOW GET THIS 1986 R80 WITH 12,000 ORIGINAL MILES .so very clean . Gave to son but he cant ride it gone over seas to much . AND A VW THING YELLOW 5 INCH LIFT KIT , ROCK TIRES 3/4 RACING CAM AND LOUD . I AM BRINGING IT BACK DOWN TO MEX . MY WIFE CANT REACH THE PEDELS . IF INTERESTED EM blueheavenpark@hotmail.com . Our sale was to to good . We also took a full trailer to loreto and came back 1/2 full. . Weather is wonderful and no problems in Mulege
Old 03-19-10, 09:43 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: BMW Y VW THING FOR SALE

Took me a while to understand what it is you are selling;

a motorcycle

and a VW Thing; ¿verdad?

NOT ACTUAL PHOTOS.
Old 03-23-10, 09:40 AM   #3
Blue Heaven Park

Nice . My bike is black . and the VW same color yellow. What are the odds of this . Thanks
Yes It is a R80 BMW for sale and I think a 1976 VW thing with hard roof . I just got back from la Paz and saw a yellow thing in a garage . Plus a white VW thing in st rosalia .
Old 03-23-10, 10:04 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I just have to ask, how much for the "THING"???
Old 04-10-10, 10:37 AM   #5
Blue Heaven Park

havent looked into it yet . Just got back to Idaho and am going to have it taken into the shop to make sure all is still working . Will post when i do the inspection .
Old 08-07-11, 07:49 PM   #6
Mula

Mula is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in the "thing".
Had one in Mazatlan in the 70's.
They are Great.
Old 08-07-11, 08:10 PM   #7
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

VW only imported the VW Type 181 (Thing) into the US in 1973 and 1974. I believe they imported around 25,000 total in those two years. The basic colors were white, green, orange and yellow. I think they also made a custom model, the Acapulco, for a hotel in that city.

The Acapulco model was white with light blue trim and had a fringed surry top. VW of Mexico continued making the Type 181 for several more years, none imported into the US, then production ceased.

An easy way to tell the difference between a stock 1973 and a 1974 model are the rear engine vents. In the photo above, the yellow Thing has vent boxes (above the rear tire) that pull engine air in from the top of the vent box. On the white model, you can see the side engine air vents (horizontal louvers) between the black luggage rack and the right side side view mirror of the yellow Thing. Many 1973 Things have added fiberglas side air vent boxes to reduce the amount of dust drawn into the engine compartment
Old 08-08-11, 01:02 PM   #8
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

WOW ... no shortage of knowledge around here....

It looks "mint" .... super car for SOB... would think .. a fun car .. all convertibles are fun cars had a few when young ...
Old 08-08-11, 01:50 PM   #9
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
...It looks "mint"...
That's not his; I found that pic.
Old 08-08-11, 03:33 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
VW only imported the VW Type 181 (Thing) into the US in 1973 and 1974. I believe they imported around 25,000 total in those two years. The basic colors were white, green, orange and yellow. I think they also made a custom model, the Acapulco, for a hotel in that city.

The Acapulco model was white with light blue trim and had a fringed surry top. VW of Mexico continued making the Type 181 for several more years, none imported into the US, then production ceased.

An easy way to tell the difference between a stock 1973 and a 1974 model are the rear engine vents. In the photo above, the yellow Thing has vent boxes (above the rear tire) that pull engine air in from the top of the vent box. On the white model, you can see the side engine air vents (horizontal louvers) between the black luggage rack and the right side side view mirror of the yellow Thing. Many 1973 Things have added fiberglas side air vent boxes to reduce the amount of dust drawn into the engine compartment
Not questioning what you say, but I seem to recall staying at Las Brisas back in the early 80's and this thing isn't a thing.

JEEP! JEEP! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Different hotel, maybe?

All I know is that we rented one of these babies. Mostly used to drive from the hillside villas to their beach facility, and into town to the clubs and restaurants. One time I decided to go on a 'splore and was several miles outside of town driving one of these, when a started getting honked at and yelled at by cabbies, telling me to turn around and go back!

They had only recently opened the toll road to DF, and I thought it would be a real trip to drive up the hill and check things out!!
Old 08-09-11, 04:47 AM   #11
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Not questioning what you say, but I seem to recall staying at Las Brisas back in the early 80's and this thing isn't a thing.

JEEP! JEEP! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Different hotel, maybe?

!
Actually, It does sound like you are questioning what I said.

It could be the same hotel, it could be a different hotel.....pink Jeeps, blue VW's... Who cares?????

VW Thing - Model Variants

What you posted is a PINK JEEP. What I am talking about is a VW........There is a difference.
Maybe in your vast knowledge base about everyTHING you have them confused.....I don't. I have owned a 1973 type 181 since 1983, I work on a type 181, I drive a type 181 and I belong to a type 181 club.

This thread is about a BMW motorcycle and a VW Type 181 (Thing), I commented and provided information about VW Things, not Jeeps

Sorry about the hijack. Rant over.....now back to the original thread
Old 08-09-11, 07:23 AM   #12
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Rant on, Teniente!! I don't believe it can officially be declared a hijack considering the fact that the last post on this thread was made April 10, 2010....until resurrected by a newcomer August 7, 2011! But I'd bow to Marty's superior moderator's skill, knowledge & capabilities to make the final call on this one!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 08-09-11 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Corrected date
Old 08-09-11, 09:33 AM   #13
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Took me a while to understand what it is you are selling;

a motorcycle

and a VW Thing; ¿verdad?

NOT ACTUAL PHOTOS.

The last time we went to ACAPULCO thought it would be fun to rent one of those VW THINGS that night we went and watched the Cliff Diver. the next morning I called the rental agency and exchanged it for a new 9pass. VW bus The thing was not my cup of tea.We always stayed at the Casa De PULEN what a nice place.
Old 08-09-11, 11:35 AM   #14
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

Had a great time in a rented one out of Puerto Vallarta in the early 1980's. Discovered Sayulita, thought we had uncovered paradise at the time.

Now.....................would choose the A/C equipped sub compact.
Old 08-09-11, 11:45 AM   #15
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripledigitken
Now.....................would choose the A/C equipped sub compact.
You and me both Ken - "roughing it" means different things as we move along in life...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-09-11, 02:47 PM   #16
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Actually, It does sound like you are questioning what I said.

It could be the same hotel, it could be a different hotel.....pink Jeeps, blue VW's... Who cares?????

VW Thing - Model Variants

What you posted is a PINK JEEP. What I am talking about is a VW........There is a difference.
Maybe in your vast knowledge base about everyTHING you have them confused.....I don't. I have owned a 1973 type 181 since 1983, I work on a type 181, I drive a type 181 and I belong to a type 181 club.

This thread is about a BMW motorcycle and a VW Type 181 (Thing), I commented and provided information about VW Things, not Jeeps

Sorry about the hijack. Rant over.....now back to the original thread
Please chill, my friend. Your post reminded me of something I did 30 years ago. It stoked me.

I never was interested in dissing you. Seriously. It was more about nosstalgia.

Fact is, that given the time frame, Las Brisas may have actually had Things on their property long before I stayed there.
Old 08-09-11, 06:36 PM   #17
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
You and me both Ken - "roughing it" means different things as we move along in life...
My favorite is Roughing it is when I have to stay in a Holiday Inn without a swimming pool.
Old 08-10-11, 02:09 PM   #18
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Hey Teniente, looks like your one of those "young" ones... was talking about...

Think the bike is a good one too..... also used to ride a 1964 Trimuph 650 .. when young.. bugs, heat, rocks, sand, and wrecks ...

That was a long time ago... but fun ...