Fish Tacos, Lobster & Prime Rib Sit Down Dinner or Tacos on the Fly - Where to Go and Where to avoid

Old 03-21-10, 06:29 PM   #1
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Default GERVICS PIZZA is EXPANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

GERVICS PIZZA is EXPANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Gervic's in La Mision, their phone number is 646 155 0688. For the BEST PIZZA delivered fresh and HOT to your door give them a call, ask for Vicky, she speaks perfect English for ease of ordering also, be sure to ask for a menu to be sent with your order. They serve REAL ITALIAN SAUSAGE too....
They are soon expanding to Primo Tapia for their second location.
Old 03-22-10, 11:04 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: GERVICS PIZZA is EXPANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

What style pizza is it? I am a sucker for the really good thin crust...
Old 03-22-10, 03:15 PM   #3
noproblemo

More New York, but she tries to make the crusts to order, they are REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!! Gee guess what's for dinner???
Old 03-22-10, 04:42 PM   #4
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Smile Re: GERVICS PIZZA is EXPANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone who grew up in New York during the 60's, I often have to question what people mean when they refer to New York pizza. My recollection is that it is not necessarily a thin crust. Kind of in between. A tad rubbery. Lots of cheese, and you had to fold it to eat it, as the olive oil was dripping off. Have to say that in the decades I've spent in SoCal, I have rarely, if ever found a pizza to compare. I should also mention that in defense of the panoply of pizza purveyors around the world, my favorite pizza back in New York, in the 60s came fro a joint operated by a polish family. That said, perhaps the absolute best pizza we have ever had was in the old world city of Dubrovnik, Croatia. Go figure.
Old 04-12-10, 10:53 AM   #5
bajabass

bajabass is on a distinguished road

Confused Re: GERVICS PIZZA is EXPANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am usually not negative, BUT, we ordered a pizza from them Saturday night, and it was horrible! I hope it was just a bad night, as others in the ejido have said it was O.K., or better. Maybe they have been in Baja to long.
Old 04-12-10, 12:54 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Blame Ed LaDou.

When i mentioned New York pizza from my youth, I neglected to mention, that along with the somewhat rubbery crust and the dripping olive oil, most pizzas available were just cheese and tomato. The most adventurous one could be was to be able to order sausage or maybe pepperoni.

The late Ed Ladou was responsible for a virtual revolution in pizza, and in no small manner, for the success of Wolfgang Puck. It was Ed, working for Puck at Spago, who devised a panoply of, what were then exotic pizza toppings and styles. He later went on to develop product for the fledgling California Pizza Kitchen folks. His story is contained in the link attached. We had the pleasure of knowing Ed and having eaten at both locations of Caioti many times.

Caioti Pizza Cafe - Welcome
Old 04-12-10, 01:49 PM   #7
noproblemo

Sorry you had a bad experience with them, did you call them to let them know you were not happy with it and explain why? I personally know the owner and she would want to know. PS, I'm of Italian descent and love good pizza, and have not been in Baja nearly long enough to suit me as a full timer only 4 1/2 yrs.
Old 04-13-10, 06:16 AM   #8
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

To be correct, especially for those with roots in New York or New Jersey, you do not use the word "pizza", it is known as a "pie"
Old 04-13-10, 11:06 AM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I mentioned this place to a friend in Puerto Nuevo - tells me they love the place. Different ways to make pizza and no one recipe works for everybody. Some like it with a thin, crispy crust and not too much sauce (me, for example) while others prefer it thick and sloppy with cheese in the crust edge.

Different strokes...
Old 04-13-10, 12:21 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
To be correct, especially for those with roots in New York or New Jersey, you do not use the word "pizza", it is known as a "pie"
Actually, pizza and pie mean the same. It's when people say pizza pie that they are being redundant. Much as when people say Mount Fujiyama, inasmuch as yama means mountain. Or, shrimp scampi. there's a bunch of redundancies out there.
Old 04-13-10, 01:17 PM   #11
noproblemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I mentioned this place to a friend in Puerto Nuevo - tells me they love the place. Different ways to make pizza and no one recipe works for everybody. Some like it with a thin, crispy crust and not too much sauce (me, for example) while others prefer it thick and sloppy with cheese in the crust edge.

Different strokes...
Very true BG, that is why besides their "standard" menu they also make each pizza fresh as well as customize to your preferred desires for toppings...