Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 04-07-10, 07:48 AM   #1
Tahoe Gringo

Location: Lake tahoe, cold & snowy. Did I mention we miss the ocean?

Tahoe Gringo is on a distinguished road

Default We did it!

Success, we found our little paradise in Ensenada.
The house is fully furnished except for some misc. things.
Question is -
We are 10 hours away from border, I was thinking of renting a u-haul trailer, drive to Chula Vista & stay @ hotel & fill my truck up with loads and make trips w/my truck to Ensenada, leaving trailer parked @ hotel for a couple of days.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-07-10, 09:01 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: We did it!

That is one method (not a bad idea if the hotel parking is secure). I made the mistake the first time I brought stuff of trying to bring the entire truck down and it ended up costing me $$$ at Otay. The second time I just rented a storage unit near the border for a month, unloaded it and turned the rental truck in to save money. That gave me a month to gradually bring things down one pickup truck at a time, get things organized in the house and I never had a problem at the border.
Old 04-07-10, 09:58 AM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tahoe Gringo
"in Ensenada.....We are 10 hours away from border"
Uhhhhhhhhhhh....WHICH border??

You must be a really a slow & cautious driver, huh??? Is that 10 hours a typo? Granted I haven't made that drive recently but I seem to recall border to Ensenada was a LOT closer to 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
Old 04-07-10, 10:00 AM   #4
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Uhhhhhhhhhhh....WHICH border??

You must be a really a slow & cautious driver, huh??? Is that 10 hours a typo? Granted I haven't made that drive recently but I seem to recall border to Ensenada was a LOT closer to 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
I think they mean they are coming from a starting point 10 hours NORTH of the border...

Old 04-07-10, 10:12 AM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

Oh!

Now why didn't I think of that?

NORTH is UP.....right?

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 04-07-10 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Afterthought......
Old 04-07-10, 01:12 PM   #6
BajaGringo

Quote:

NORTH is UP.....right?
Only if you are south...

Old 04-07-10, 02:04 PM   #7
longlegsinlapaz

It's not nice to pick on the directionally challenged! If you're trying to confuse me worser than I'm already confused....it's working!
Old 04-07-10, 03:50 PM   #8
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Kinda curious, TG, as to some details of your new found paradise. Such as size and rent, as well as general location.
Old 04-07-10, 04:39 PM   #9
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

CONGRATS on your new paradise!!! Next if it were me, why rush it, rent a storage at the border and bring it down slower so you don't stress out. Don't think your new place is going anywhere, why not just make it easier on yourself..... Everything goes slower here!
Old 04-07-10, 06:35 PM   #10
bajabass

bajabass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not nice to pick on the directionally challenged! If you're trying to confuse me worser than I'm already confused....it's working!
And you are my tour guide??? Yup, it's about 10 hours to San Diego from Tahoe. Probably a little longer pulling a trailer at a sane speed. BG is right, I would not trust my personal belongings in any parking lot near the border. Find a Public Storage close to the border. Unload, turn in the trailer, and move at will. Congrats on the move. Ensenada is just far enough away from the border to feel like you are really in Mexico. I've had a place just north of Ensenada for several years, lucked out and married the prettiest doctor in Baja! It was quite easy setting up my house in La Mision, as I was driving down almost every weekend. We are planning a permanent move to La Paz soon, and the logistics of setting up a full time residence that far south are going to be no fun. Besides 2 houses full of stuff, I have 3 huge roll-a-way tool boxes that have to go. 2 boats also. Not to mention a small tackle shop worth of fishing gear!
Old 04-07-10, 07:11 PM   #11
longlegsinlapaz

Tahoe Gringo, welcome to the forum & to Baja. Please forgive the directionally-challenged hijack of your thread! Don't leave your possessions in a trailer that close to the border....unless the trailer is inside a locked storage unit!

Mr./Dra. bajabass
, HEY!! I didn't lose Dra./Mrs. Bajabass....DID I? I got her pointed in the right direction to come back home to you....DIDN'T I? I told her she couldn't stay here until June....DIDN'T I? Food for thought....IF I lose you, it just could be intentional!
Old 04-08-10, 08:54 PM   #12
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

This is the storage facility where we rented a unit. Nice and close to Otay crossing and Blvd 2000.

Self Storage Otay Mesa San Diego - Otay Mesa Self Storage - San Diego, CA 92154
Old 04-09-10, 07:27 AM   #13
Tahoe Gringo

Smile Re: We did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Kinda curious, TG, as to some details of your new found paradise. Such as size and rent, as well as general location.
It is in Estero Beach, small but cozy, the rent is reasonable w/ 24 hr security, use of all amenities(pools,boat launch,restaurant,etc). close enough to beach(2 min walk). So much to do now things are starting to sink in! But hey, we will not be shoveling snow during the winters much anymore!
Old 04-09-10, 07:36 AM   #14
Tahoe Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
This is the storage facility where we rented a unit. Nice and close to Otay crossing and Blvd 2000.

Self Storage Otay Mesa San Diego - Otay Mesa Self Storage - San Diego, CA 92154
Thanks Terry,we are not sure how much stuff we will be bringing until we make a list, a big pile in the garage, and then see if we can do it in a couple of trips (once we haul trailer down to the hotel in Chula Vista-La Quinta Inn). If it sems like security is going to be ok, we will unload trailer & drive my truck back & forth for a couple of days to Ensenada & pay for the room for 2 nights.
Old 04-09-10, 09:45 AM   #15
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Gringo
But hey, we will not be shoveling snow during the winters much anymore!
I hear you there. I spent a couple of years living up in Sequoia at around 6500 feet that was 3 levels, all decked out and with a great view of the forest. After you shovel enough snow the forest, as beautiful as it is just seems to lose some of its charm.

A good friend has the place now so I do get to go back and enjoy it when we want but my snow shoveling days are now officially behind me...
Old 04-09-10, 03:37 PM   #16
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, we've checked out Estero Beach, too. From what I've experienced, there are a number of properties for sale there. Don't know if the place you chose is one of those. Not to mention that over the years, we've stayed at the hotel many times.There's much to be said for it. Very secure. Generally quiet. From our experience, and that of others, it seems that they are also experiencing a drastic reduction in tourist traffic. That alone may be a reason to be careful about using their restaurant. (especially the sushi bar) On that same topic, and perhaps the only negative I could even imagine, is that when it comes to other restaurant, or more importantly, shopping, you will have a bit of a drive. To the South, there's Calimax by the La Buf turn-off, and to the North, you can hit the major center, what with the Comex and the Costco and Walmart. Just nothing nearby.
Old 04-09-10, 03:44 PM   #17
Tahoe Gringo

thanks Baja Gringo for helping me on some questions I had for you some time back.Is because of this forum, watching, listening & learning from all the good people on it that (after close to a year & a half) of investigating that I knew we would like Ensenada & all it has to offer. I have made friends I have met (Teniente) & others I have yet to meet that all seem to share 1 thing in common, you all seem to truly love Baja & the people that host to Gringos like me. The people we met from Tijuana to Ensenada were so friendly that any nervous reservations about Mexico were removed from our thoughts the very first day! We plan on staying, learning as much spanish as we can & hopefully meeting more of you in the future!
Again, thanks for being such an imformative site that made me at ease to some of the situations we will come across.
Old 04-09-10, 03:50 PM   #18
BajaGringo

Glad we could be of help. It is an adventure and based on your positive attitude I know you will do just fine. Mexico is a country with its own language, culture and way of doing things so I am sure you will probably hit a tope or two along the way. The good news is that you always will have friends here who are more than happy to share their experience to be of assistance...

Old 04-09-10, 03:51 PM   #19
Tahoe Gringo

Quote:
Actually, we've checked out Estero Beach, too. From what I've experienced, there are a number of properties for sale there. Don't know if the place you chose is one of those. Not to mention that over the years, we've stayed at the hotel many times.There's much to be said for it. Very secure. Generally quiet. From our experience, and that of others, it seems that they are also experiencing a drastic reduction in tourist traffic. That alone may be a reason to be careful about using their restaurant. (especially the sushi bar) On that same topic, and perhaps the only negative I could even imagine, is that when it comes to other restaurant, or more importantly, shopping, you will have a bit of a drive. To the South, there's Calimax by the La Buf turn-off, and to the North, you can hit the major center, what with the Comex and the Costco and Walmart. Just nothing nearby.
We live in Lake Tahoe, so, almost half of our shopping we do we have to drive to Carson City (30 minutes). Yes there is Safeway close by but driving to grocery store 10 - 15 minutes does not seem bad at all to us. Thanks
Old 04-09-10, 07:37 PM   #20
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
....... or more importantly, shopping, you will have a bit of a drive. To the South, there's Calimax by the La Buf turn-off, and to the North, you can hit the major center, what with the Comex and the Costco and Walmart. Just nothing nearby.

Not true..........there is a fairly new Calimax and some small strip malls located on Lazaro Cardenas about a half-mile east, across Highway 1