General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-14-09, 06:15 AM   #1
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Default Mexiphobia

It’s amazing how much the news about Mexico has saturated the U.S. psyche. As we prepare to make the move, we’ve had to make many contacts from banking, to vehicle registration, to buying windows for the new house and selling our existing home. When we mention retirement, they always ask where. It’s amazing - 100% of the people we’ve had to deal with express their concern for us, and ask if we’re worried about our safety. My family thinks we’re moving into an active war zone. My brother even said “Nice knowing you ” (and he was serious :!: ) I’m beginning to feel like a broken record as I explain my feelings on why we’re not worried. I think from now on I’ll say I’m moving to Florida ;) .
Old 06-14-09, 07:49 AM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Mexiphobia

You could print fact sheet handouts & save your vocal cords! ;) I believe it's that the news is always negative because that's what sells so all of Mexico is painted with the same brush. I think a lot of it is fear of the unknown. :? Be glad!! Look at the construction costs you'll save by eliminating that guest room you'd planned! If everyone knew what we know, you'd probably end up with a 7-11 within walking distance from your casa!
Old 06-14-09, 01:21 PM   #3
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

On one hand the negative vibe the general public is showing toward Mexico is a sort of silver lining, as Legs points out a la the 7/11 mention. But here's hoping that Gringos "get over it" so our friends South of the Border can get some needed revenue. And I don't think I'd tell anyone if I was moving to Florida....
Old 06-14-09, 03:46 PM   #4
Diane

Diane is on a distinguished road

I'm doing reverse psychology now.

The last time someone shuddered when I said we'd moved to the Baja, I said, "You're right. It really isn't that great. In fact, you know we had to go out of our way to find someone who could break our $20 (USD) so we could pay for our steak dinner!"

"Oh, and the beach.... you get really tired of hearing the ocean and seeing beautiful sand beaches all the time. You wouldn't like it here at all."

Now I have a friend who keeps asking for info and I just tell him he wouldn't like it...and then tell him some great story of something we did. It's become a joke.
Old 06-14-09, 05:59 PM   #5
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

I am all about telling people how difficult things are when we go down there all the time and relax and have fun and slow down our psyches.
I also tell them that I am not sure why people really go down, that it can be daunting and whatever else intimidating I can think of.
It's kind of how I've always approached surf breaks....
Bad, yes.
But what the hell, fear is great, along with the economy, for keeping roads and beaches emptier.
Old 06-15-09, 08:48 AM   #6
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

When we moved to Honduras a number of years ago, and again when we bought our place in Baja, we just quit trying to explain it.

Some people get it and others don't. And the ones who don't are seldom convinced otherwise---so we just smiled and said, yes, that is what we are doing.

Or, you can tell them that you drive real fast so the bandits that hide behind every cactus can't get you and that you have hired 15 personal bodyguards to be with your 24/7.

Diana
Old 06-15-09, 08:52 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

My standard response has become - "you're right, Baja is not for you."

Then they figure they are missing out on something and usually come down anyway.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-15-09, 08:56 AM   #8
Diane

Diane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaT
Or, you can tell them that you drive real fast so the bandits that hide behind every cactus can't get you
Oh, I'm using that! "I've gotten really good at driving while I've been there. Between the potholes that swallow up small cars and the bandits, you're constantly ducking and dodging, all at 110 per hour! (forget that it's km/hr....)"
Old 06-15-09, 02:46 PM   #9
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

I actually enjoy the shorter border crossing times now that there are less people coming down. Less people on the highway too.
Old 06-15-09, 11:44 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't wait. Heading down in about ten days. Going to Cabo to pick up some friends flying in and hope to make it up as far as Loreto or Mulege before dropping them back off at the airport. Missed my last trip down due to illness in la familia. But, when I was in Ensenada last, still had a really long wait at Otay. So, less traffic and shorter lines sounds good to me.