Visas for travel and living in Baja California, Mexico FMM / FM3 / FM2 / Mexican Citizenship?

Old 06-22-09, 03:06 PM   #1
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

Default Entering and Leaving with an FM3

Technically, from what I understand, one is supposed to have their FM3 stamped EVERY time they leave and enter Mexico.

Curious as to how many do so----OK, I do have other motivations. :icon_mrgreen:

So, I shall see if I can create the poll---:icon_e_geek:

Diane

On edit---this only applies to driving, not flying.
Old 06-22-09, 03:22 PM   #2
bajalou

bajalou is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Entering and Leaving with an FM3

Having been told repeatedly by Imigration officials at different border points that it was not necessary to have FM3 stamped on exit or entry so I believe them.

I insisted (and sometimes this took a real effort) on getting it stamped if I thought I might be late returning for renewal.
Old 06-22-09, 04:51 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

My first entry into the country via vehicle, I had to force them to stamp Mom's & my FM3's....the issuing Consulate in Portland INSISTED they had to be stamped no later than 5 days after our guesstimated crossing date, or they'd be invalid, and I took them at their word. At the border, I got "Es no necessito!" I finally got them to understand I wasn't moving my RV & car out of the "Declare" area until someone stamped us as entering the country....they eventually saw things my way!

Where it's really important is when you drive one way & fly the other, then the stamps are out of balance & the Immigration office DOES CARE!! They grilled me & made me bring in my one-way air fare ticket as proof before they'd accept my renewal application. I did try to get it stamped leaving the country by car, but eventually gave up in sheer frustration.

When I drive in & out, I don't even try....as long as my exits & entries are in balance.:icon_smile:
Old 06-22-09, 09:03 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Have never had the FM-3 stamped on entry or exit except the first stamp after issue by the Consulate.........renewed many times and never questioned by Immigration regarding lack of stamps
Old 06-23-09, 09:25 AM   #5
DianaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
......renewed many times and never questioned by Immigration regarding lack of stamps
Thank you :icon_e_biggrin:
Old 06-23-09, 04:14 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Legs' experience is interesting. That's because I had long wondered if the Mexican Immigration was actually keeping records. Or at least anywhere near complete records. Since I have only traveled on the FM-T, I certainly don't have the experience that many of you legal residents do. But, every time I get the FM-T at San Ysidro, I never had any faith in the idea that they actually entered the record into a data base. Like, who goes out of their way to surrender their FM-T when leaving Mexico? Obviously, those who seek or hold FM-2 or FM-3 are involved in a much more "offficial" process. But, I guess, if they are keeping records in a reasonable manner, y'all need to make sure you get stamped.
Old 06-23-09, 10:27 PM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

If you think about it, where would you stop in Mexico to have it stamped on your way out? It isn't like their is an exit immigration office along the way.

Or is there?

Old 06-24-09, 07:33 AM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

FMT's are a different creature....I sincerely doubt that there's any tracking or audit system in place for FMT's. The only time Immigration people make a big issue over turning them back in when leaving is when you clear Customs/Immigration when leaving via air. I've been in line behind a tourist who didn't have their FMT & it does cause a problem. But I think that is more because the airport Immigration people are told they either have to retrieve FMT's or put an exit stamp in FM2/FM3 books....one or the other. I've seen too many instances where an FMT goes straight from a tourist, to an Immigration official to the "round file", never stopping to have the official number recorded. So as strongly as they'd like us to believe otherwise, I sincerely do not believe FMT's are tracked via computer. They are numbered documents, so they conceivably COULD be tracked online, but I don't believe they are.

FM2//FM3's on the other hand DO have a numbered file folder of documentation in the local area Immigration office where you must register & have renewals processed. That numbered folder ties directly back to an individual FM2/FM3. But I gotta admit 100% of the activity I've witnessed & personally experienced is paper-driven, I do believe that there actually would have to be some level of FM2/FM3 audit trail on-line.

The stamps however are simply in the booklet itself. the original stamp upon entering the country initially is what actually validates your FM2/FM3. Technically, I suppose if you were stopped & questioned upon re-entry & you didn't have an exit stamp showing when you left, they COULD make a big issue out of it....but they don't appear to be at all concerned with exit/entry stamps at the border. In my case, it was during my annual renewal process at the Immigration office in La Paz that they caught the fact that I'd re-entered & gotten it stamped back in at the airport, but I hadn't gotten an exit stamp when I drove out....those stamps equate to PERMISSION to enter & leave the country to Immigration. They wanted explanation of how I came back without ever having been "authorized" to leave. I don't believe exit/entry stamps are tracked anywhere but in the FM2/FM2 booklet itself.

Does that make more sense HowOdd?

It's doesn't necessarily have to make sense to us....it's their system & I always try to comply to make the entire process go smoothly!
Old 06-24-09, 10:08 AM   #9
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Here's a short article that seems relevant:
http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1...s-and-airports

When I applied for my FM2 they seemed to pay close attention to the stamps in my FM3. There were only two exits/entries, and they matched because I travel by air, but I wonder what would have happened if they had been incomplete.
Old 06-24-09, 03:34 PM   #10
DianaT

Thanks for all the information.

Right now we have the first validation stamp and then one exit and one entering stamp---so we are in Mexico---which is good if we ever need to fly out.

They really make if practically impossible driving, especially driving out.
Old 06-24-09, 06:05 PM   #11
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Here's a short article that seems relevant:
http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1...s-and-airports

When I applied for my FM2 they seemed to pay close attention to the stamps in my FM3. There were only two exits/entries, and they matched because I travel by air, but I wonder what would have happened if they had been incomplete.
Well thank GAWD you were legal....or I'd probably still be in jail for aiding & abetting or "accessory-to-stamp-evasion"!
Old 07-12-09, 10:03 AM   #12
Toneart

Toneart is on a distinguished road

I have an FM3. Whenever I have gotten the red light upon entry, or whenever an immigration officer has waved me over for a vehicle inspection, I showed them my FM3. They have never offered to stamp it and when I asked, they said I don't need it.

There is no place to pull over upon exit.

You do have to report your address to your local immigration office within 10 days of entry, if your FM3 was issued by a Mexican Consulate in the U.S.

For renewals, or getting a first FM3 at your local immigration office, they have you under their control. Just be sure you don't let it expire and you are good to come and go, if over land. By air and sea you do have to get it stamped upon exit and entry.
Old 09-07-09, 10:43 AM   #13
rplarry

rplarry is on a distinguished road

I just recently got my fm3 and had it stamped when I crossed the border, but I was not aware that I needed to have it stamped again in the jurisdiction where I reside, which is BoLA. Where should I stop and get it stamped for that locality?
Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-07-09, 05:40 PM   #14
longlegsinlapaz

rplarry, getting it stamped at the border validated/activated it. You don't necessarily have to get it stamped in BOLA pre se, but you DO need to find the closest Immigration office who has jurisdiction over BOLA (sorry, I don't know what it is for that area!) & REGISTER with them within 30 days of your being in the country the first time here under your FM3. The office will create & maintain a file on you & they will require all the same documentation to build that file that you had to provide where ever it was issued & technically that should be the same office that you return to for your annual FM3 renewals. Hopefully someone from the BOLA area will chime in soon with what office serves that area soon.
Old 09-08-09, 05:03 PM   #15
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Had current and consecutive FMT's (2) and used them to fill out new FMT for at San Ysidro at 4 am in July and the custom agent said I have to turn them in when we leave Mexico or big, big fine. He never said how much. So our current ones are good til Dec. So do you sit in line at the border for 2 hours to turn around and turn it in southbound???? Is there a real place to turn it in?

We are trying to start the FM3 process. I've twice called the Sacramento Consulado General de Mexico and asked them to email the current FM3 requirements & still no email. Today, I emailed asking for requirements. If I need copies of the water bill, opps, gota drive down to baja to get them!

Then I understand the FM3 hase to be activated with 30 days, so can not get it til we know when we are going. Husband still working, house not yet sold. A little confusing.
Old 09-09-09, 07:03 AM   #16
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Gointomex.............

We have never turned in our expired FM-T's......no easy way to do it when leaving, and it did not affect obtaining our FM-3's.

We applied and received our FM-3s at the Consulate in San Diego. It was a one day deal. We were there when they opened on a Thursday morning, then picked up our FM-3 booklets on Friday at noon. From there, we went to the border (Otay Mesa). Parked on the US side, walked across to Mexico and had the FM-3 booklets stamped, walked back across to the US.

After that, went to Immigration in Ensenada and had the FM-3's "registered"..........we used an agent....believe me, it's worth it. Have renewed 3 times with the agent and it's a snap.

The requirements at San Diego, as I recall are:

Copies of all pages of your US passport, and the original passport...we made 2 copies each

A utility bill or rental agreement or a purchase agreement for where you are living in Mexico that shows an address or a property description.

3 consecutive months of proof of income that shows a minimum of monthly income (don't have the current figures) to support 1 or 2 people bank statements work best***

Marriage certificate (not license)***

We also brought 4 color passport photos each, obtained from COSTCO

***Note:

We had the marriage certificate Apostilled

I would suggest that if each of you have seperate incomes, that you apply individually, if not, the wife will be a "dependent" of the husband.

I will let others jump in here with their experiences.............just remember, you are dealing with Mexico and the regulations/rules will be interpreted differently between the Consulates in San Diego and Sacramento, and in fact when you get to Mexico.......just go with the flow
Old 09-13-10, 11:28 AM   #17
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

So who has gotten a new FM3 / FM2 card???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-13-10, 12:05 PM   #18
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

I cant add much to the F. M. dance every time it was different so the last two times I let a agent do it ohhhh what a relief it was.Still debating as to switching to FM2 next time. Iwould be 76 by the time i could emigrate. by then I may forget why I want to.
I should get the card next time if they dont change the program agian.
Old 09-13-10, 12:40 PM   #19
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

I'll be starting my renewal in late October (FM2) and will let everyone know how it goes unless someone else beats me to it!
Old 09-13-10, 02:52 PM   #20
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Would appear to be a lot different for those way to the south... Ensenada or San Quitein north is a bit lax on this whole issue.. especially if one "flies" and out.. have flown into Cabo a few times and its much different than crossing in car at SY or Otay.. (yeah, drove up and gave it a try).. prefer the beach drive.. like looking at same.. just me.. and the time spent in SENTRI a SY max 13 minutes at 7:30 am.. so its not to bad, plus you can get something to eat or drinking while waiting.. to cross.. fresh coffee is nice.. I usually have done my first cup by then...

Ok, back to documentation ....

Mine has been stamped once.. showing I'm in Mexico.. I do go north some, not much.. my wife is always going north... what can I say, I'm a boring person...

And I must agree with BG.. where would you get it stamped going north?

Guess you could drive across, then come back on the south bound side and pull over and tell them you are leaving Mexico even though you are just entering to get it stamped to get out of Mexico... by looping around and crossing back again.. but then you would have to get in stamped .... oh, my I'm confused ..

I will pass on that one... I'll continue to be in Mexico until its time to renew in Mexico.. We got ours in Jan of this year... not sure if that means new FM3 or not...

Just looked at mine (thanks a lot, got to look at the just super photo of me) and it's been stamped only once.. in a year.. .

Also, have only been asked once for my "papers" at a check by Rosarito... and at that time the "question" of my weapon ... a "cattle prod" came up... which I defused by showing them it was only a defensive weapon, and that I would most likely be dead before I could hurt anyone... with it... they still laugh at me when I drive through.... Hola El viejo.. what ever that means... think I already told the story...

If you need a laugh.. would suggest this... if you have already seen it... pass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NsC98xVN0

and of course it is off topic... and I would have it any other way....