Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-28-10, 08:45 AM   #1
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Crackdown On People Wearing Thongs

North Carolina Beach Town Bans Thongs

"If you plan on going to Kure Beach, North Carolina, bring your sunscreen and shades, but please leave your thong behind..."

By Gabriel Falcon, CNN
April 28, 2010 -- Updated 0853 GMT (1653 HKT)

(CNN) -- If you plan on going to Kure Beach, North Carolina, bring your sunscreen and shades, but please leave your thong behind.

The seaside community has adopted a zero tolerance policy on anyone wearing the barely-there bikini by the shore on their part of North Carolina's Pleasure Island, just south of Wilmington.

"You can do what you want to in your own space," said Mayor Dean Lambeth, "but for public decency, keep it off the public beach."

Lambeth told CNN he and the town supervisors last week unanimously approved the ordinance banning the skimpy bathing wear.

"Everything we do is family oriented. We like the small town atmosphere," he said.

The decision to forbid thongs was triggered by a couple's recent inquiry about spending their honeymoon in Kure Beach, Lambeth said.

According to the mayor, the couple wanted to know if they could wear thongs. The man thought the town's policy on the matter was ambiguous, Lambeth said. After consulting with the police chief, he determined the ordinance should be amended to better address the issue.

Section 12-32 of the Code of the Town of Kure Beach, which was adopted on April 22, makes it illegal "for any person being naked or insufficiently clothed ... to bathe or swim in the Atlantic Ocean" or any other area within the town's jurisdiction. Sun-bathing "naked or insufficiently clothed" is also banned.

"Thong bathing suits or similar attire are specifically prohibited," the code says.

Anyone wearing a thong on the beach will be fined $25.

Lambeth said reaction to the no-thong policy has been overwhelmingly positive.

"I have gotten probably 100 e-mails from all over the U.S. supporting our stance," he told CNN. "I'm getting calls from New York, California that they are glad somebody is finally taking a stand for public decency."

Lambeth, who said Kure Beach's population swells from 2,500 to 11,000 in the summer, described the town as "nice, slow-mo and conservative."

"We're just a small southern community, and that's how we're going to keep it," he said.

He also suspected the decision on the thongs could end up in court and blamed liberals for that.

"You can file a suit -- the way this country is leaning so far left, it wouldn't surprise me," he said. "They want to challenge it? They want to spend the money? Go for it."

Lambeth said people can wear thongs in their homes and backyards. And with his policy in place, he told CNN he's content.

"I'm sitting out here looking at the ocean and don't see a damn thong in sight."

More...
Old 04-29-10, 07:28 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Crackdown On People Wearing Thongs

I don't mind thongs per se, but just some of the people who choose to wear them. Thank God nobody here on our little Baja beach owns one...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-29-10, 08:10 AM   #3
Marty Cortez

Old 04-29-10, 11:44 AM   #4
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Third illustration not labeled, Marty...perhaps "Plaster of Paris"?
Old 04-29-10, 02:42 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all about community values. Compare this North Carolina ordinance against the fact that there are actually a number of cities in the US where females can legally be topless. I was reminded of this by a case that was in the news just a couple of weeks ago where a woman was gardening in her front yard wearing only a pair of shorts, in Boulder, CO. Originally, the housing authority moved to evict her, but later relented, inasmuch as the City Council of Boulder explicitly affirmed a woman's right to be in public shirtless just as men do.

Here's a list of places that allow such attire, or lack of same. Fundamentally, unless a person is involved in disorderly conduct, they are free to be free.

Cities
Some cities and localities of the United States, including
Boulder, Colorado
Eugene, Oregon
Portland, Oregon
Ashland, Oregon
Oregon Country Fair
Lucy Vincent beach in Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard
South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida
Key West, Florida
Fantasy Fest
New Orleans, Louisiana
Mardi Gras
Washington, D.C.
Columbus, OH
Old 04-29-10, 02:47 PM   #6
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

Crackup or down I'm for em.

Ken
Old 04-29-10, 06:37 PM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripledigitken
Crackup or down I'm for em.

Ken

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-29-10, 07:14 PM   #8
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

I see two types of clothing in the above pictures- one is for OUTERwear and the other is for UNDERwear.

I enjoy having places to go where it can "all hang out", but I'd like to know ahead of time where those places are so we don't show up with 'Nuts0.5. Family Friendly is a good thing!

And as for the UNDERthings- it's called UNDERwear for a reason- it's supposed to be under something - - - like jeans, a skirt, a tent..........

For myself, it's kinda funny in that I enjoy the "natural" times and have been known to show some skin when the time is appropriate. But I can't stand going out in public in a tank top shirt with a bra strap showing! And that whole t-bar above the low-rise jeans... you'll never see that on MY backside!

"Plaster of Paris"! TOO FUNNY! There's been many a job site where I've wished for such~~~

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 04-29-10, 08:35 PM   #9
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Fantasy Fest
That's where I'd consider wearing one!
Old 04-30-10, 10:41 AM   #10
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Gotta love our Victorian society.
Old 04-30-10, 11:50 AM   #11
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Crackdown On People Wearing Thongs, how about Burqa's

Thongs... always looked a bit uncomfortable to me... have always been trying to keep that from "happing" most of my life...

Have never understood why one would want one stuck up ones "burro"...

Also, what if one does not want to look at it? Why do I have to...... LOOK AT IT

If you want to wear nothing, that's fine, but I reserve the right to say, take it some place else.... if I don't want to LOOK AT IT!!!

Moving on from "thongs" how about this

"Once we solve the burqa problem, we'll still have the problem of polygamy, of praying in the streets of big cities, of banning pork from cafeterias, in short all the sectarian demands the French are confronted with daily," Le Pen said.

The issue is one of immigration, religion, culture and race.... and is playing out currently in Europe

And would add it's not going smoothly for the "people" who legally immigrated into european countries... over the past 40-50 years from all the former Colonies of same..

These folks tend NOT to wear thongs.... rather cover their entire bodies when out... a 180 from thongs... and wish to change all to their particular "views" about living.. must say, at least the Mexican folks just want to work...
Old 04-30-10, 01:51 PM   #12
Marty Cortez

Default Re: Crackdown On People Wearing Thongs, how about Burqa's

Muslims trying to wedge themselves in to French society...

now there's a metaphor.
Old 04-30-10, 02:31 PM   #13
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thongs have always brought two thoughts to mind. The first being that there's really a very small minority of women that look good in them. Second, full time wedgie. Just seems uncomfortable to me. And, as Nuts mentioned, in the realm of underwear, where's the fashion statement worth the discomfort if no one see it anyway?
Old 04-30-10, 06:36 PM   #14
BajaNuts1

I agree with 'Howodd- there are many more women wearing swimsuit thongs that should NOT be wearing a thong than women that can actually pull it off.

And for the UNDERwear thong,
One reason thongs are worn is to eliminate pantylines under the tight jeans, which is fine if someone wants to wear one for that reason, or even for the "I feel sexy knowing what's underneath" idea.

But does that mean the waist band has to show when she sits or bends?

Underwear is UNDERwear, I personally like to see it kept "under" until such time as it is appropriate to take off the OUTERwear and reveal what's under. That's when they're sexy~

NOW- just to be fair here-
My girlfriend and I were going waterskiing a couple ( ) years ago. We were in our late 20's. She invited a guy from her work to come along. This guy was late 30's, had a bit of a gut and wore a thong Speedo. That was SO WRONG!

She told me this guy would get off work in the summer, strip down to his Speedo and take off for home on a motor bike driving through Seattle traffic. She said the first time she saw it, she about ran her car into a tree because it looked like the guy didn't have anything on at all. The fat rolls covered up the Speedo.
YIKES!

Old 04-30-10, 06:50 PM   #15
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaNuts1
...guy...wore a thong Speedo. ...
Old 04-30-10, 07:26 PM   #16
BajaNuts1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez

But I think it was more like 2 prunes and a nino banana~~

Old 04-30-10, 09:17 PM   #17
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

yet another reason to wear what you want, with the understanding that ..... some would prefer to be allowed to have their view without the "fruit".... whether it fits or not...