Baja Stories - Writers Corner Contributions from Our Forum Members

Old 05-01-10, 03:02 PM   #1
Osprey

Osprey is on a distinguished road

Default Sub Prime Sweats

Sub Prime Sweats

Naturally I was nervous. Who wouldn’t be? I was in a real box – I was grasping for straws. Part of the whole thing was funny but I couldn’t see that at the time. The guy’s name was Robert, no Vinny or No Nose and we didn’t meet in some grimy underground garage to talk about the loan. It was all out in the open. IHOP, how’s that for open.

Robert was wearing a light yellow windbreaker like he said (and nobody else in IHOP that morning was thank God). He was in a booth in the back by the restrooms. He was already drinking coffee so he must have gotten there early; I was 12 minutes early myself.

We said hello and made weather/smalltalk chit chat while I ordered. He was all business and got right to it.

“So, Mr. Sewell you want to borrow $9,000 to cover some debts. Do I have that right?”

“Yes, that’s right, $9,000.”

“If you first talked to Gary and now me, that can only mean you can’t get such a loan from a bank or charge it to a credit card. We are very busy and your situation is typical of a lot of people right now. Before we get down to specific terms can you tell me what you plan to use the money for?”

“Sure, Okay, I need to get some money in right away to Credit Councilors Southwest.”

“Mr. Sewell, did I hear you right, you need the money for a credit councilor, one of those TV bandits?”

“Yes, well, they’ve been helping me. I have a lot of bills and almost nothing coming in right now so I contacted the CCS people and they’ve got me on this schedule….”

“They’ve got you on a schedule? Let me see if I’m reading you. How many loans do you have on your house right now?”

“Four, I think it’s four.”

“And your credit cards are maxed so you went to the credit scam people.”

“Well, they said it was all free and they wanted to help so I sent them all my bills, some money to get started and …….”

“Gary told you our deal? You know it’s 10 a week and turns 20 if you’re late? You know who I work for? Never mind. Look pal, I’m gonna do you a favor. We never had this meeting. You are just a daydream I had today while having my morning coffee. You can pay for my coffee at least for taking up my time. We don’t loan money to people who are already on fiscal life-support. I hope you aren’t the first of a trend or I’ll have to find another way to make a buck.”

His part of the bill was $2.34 just for coffee and a sweet roll of some kind. I cancelled my order before the gal could get it in. I just had the coffee and went back to the drawing board. Maybe some used car lot would take the car without the papers. Can they do that?
Old 05-25-11, 11:14 PM   #2
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sub Prime Sweats

Interesting stuff. What some people get theirselves into with money problems. Bob H
Old 05-26-11, 08:10 AM   #3
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

For a second, I thought I was in a Quintin Terintino movie... namely "Pulp Fiction" .. in the restaurant .. at a booth... I don't think I was "packing" ...

Got my mind working ...
Old 05-26-11, 02:09 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Great story but I wonder how far from fiction it really is these days???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-26-11, 08:49 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

One always has ebay... just saying...